Duck Hunting Forum banner

duck/goose property to lease

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  5150Fred 
#1 ·
Anyone know of land in ottawa county to lease for duck/goose hunting? Let me know.

#2 ·
Sorry!!!!!!!! No land there. All the property around there are all leased or passed down from generations. You are better off to join one of the duck clubs it you are willing to spend all that cash. Anyways even if you can manage to find a lease around the area chances are there is a reason that is is not leased yet. The birds around the area will not go to alot of fields localy because of the hunting pressure, so try to look for permission from landowners in an surrounding county or a little further south. You will be suprised on the amount of birds on these properties, expecially the ones with small ponds of backwaters on them. Check with the county recorders office or the mapping dept, and they will give you topagrahic maps of the area so you can find the farms with ponds and backwaters on them. They will also tell you who owns these properties. Good luck!!

P.S. You may want to stick with the potholes in the rural areas if ducks act like they did last season. Everyone (even the duck clubs) were having a hard time with hitting some awsome duck action last season up north. Once I switched to farm ponds, potholes, and riverbottoms(even though I really don't care to hunt those locations), our bird numbers skyrocketed. For some reason there were very few ducks up north. I hope that changes this year. Someone needs to tell the duck to migrate alittle earlier this year, instead of in late January.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. The clubs around here are too expensive for me. The ones that I might be able to afford are jam packed and have a waiting list to join. I am gonna do more scouting and try to find some land and get permission from the owners. I certainly appreciate the advise. Do you ever get up this way and hunt?

I am thinking of buying a layout boat. Some of my buddies have them and do very well. One advantage that I have is that I will be punting for a club this season and that will get me out in the fields. Again thanks for the input. :smile:

#4 ·
I do hunt quite often in that area, it seems like my second home during those 60 days of heaven. Like last year when everyone was having a bad season, and before I change my ballplan we to pulled out the layout boats too (2 one man and 1 two man), which is something that I deeply love to do(please don't ask me why). We hunt from Maumee to Lorain through Medina, and southern Huron and Erie counties. If I could I would move there in a heart beat,(it would save me a load of money in gas, definetly with the gas prices the way they are now) and even in the summertime when I fish around there, I get duck fever so bad that it's hard to consentrate on the fish. See you in the fields.

#5 ·
I feel much better, I just secured a spot to hunt in some prime area. I missed the early season but oh well. I am with some other friends in the lease and we need to do some work. Just happy to have a spot. :getdown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.