NEW TO OHIO

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

NEW TO OHIO

Postby mallardmulisha15 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:04 pm

just recently moved to Columbus area from Tennessee was wondering what the duck hunting was like around here and what is the best way to go about finding a place to hunt any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
mallardmulisha15
Newb

Re: NEW TO OHIO

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:30 am

You new to Ohio or ducking hunting or both?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:12 pm

And which side of Tennessee? It's either gonna feel real familiar, or way worse.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby mallardmulisha15 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:03 am

just new to ohio and im from west tennessee (memphis area) im used to alot of timber hunting
mallardmulisha15
Newb

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:37 pm

The duck hunting sucks and the way to go about finding places is looking. Not asking on the internet. Summer is the best time!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BuckeyeZac » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:13 pm

The birds are plentiful in areas that cannot be hunted (i.e. subdivision ponds).... public land is way overcrowded and full of sky busters. Also, deer hunting is king.. so when seeking permission on private property, you will be conflicting with the landowners' friends, children, grandchildren's deer season.

However, I still have fun and have spent many hundreds of hours learning our area. Never kill a ton of birds, but I never really get on the X. PM me and I'll let you know a few things to look out for.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am

BuckeyeZac wrote:Also, deer hunting is king.. so when seeking permission on private property, you will be conflicting with the landowners' friends, children, grandchildren's deer season.

Amen and I do ask bow or gun. If Bow you can forget it. If gun I am happy to solicit permission, it doesn't usually fall in duck/goose season anyway.

Main problem is getting permission at all DUE to crappy deer hunter history. Torn up fields, trespassing, close shots, horses killed, trash left, large parties not agreed to etc.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby MIDTENNHTR » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:09 pm

I just moved here too but from Nashville. Live north of Cincinnati.
I don't know many people here that duck hunt but I've got a bead on
A few spots I've scouted out. Shoot me a PM and I can share some of
What I've learned. The flooded timber of west sandy and reelfoot doesn't
Really exist here. Mainly marshes.
MIDTENNHTR
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:44 pm

We are being invaded.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Ohioducker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am

You will find many on the Ohio forum not too friendly. I am going to be putting a blind up on a Lake Northwest of Columbus and also on some private land around the lake using it for myself and a couple hunts I am helping a friend with wounded warrior projects. Let me know if you might be interested. Just PM me. Welcome to Ohio.
Ohioducker
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:17 am

Ohioducker wrote:You will find many on the Ohio forum not too friendly. I am going to be putting a blind up on a Lake Northwest of Columbus and also on some private land around the lake using it for myself and a couple hunts I am helping a friend with wounded warrior projects. Let me know if you might be interested. Just PM me. Welcome to Ohio.

Post up your cyber scouting in the Honey Hole and you'll find a whole website not too friendly. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BuckeyeZac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:52 pm

How do we get involved with the wounded warrior projects? That's something I would like to help with.
BuckeyeZac
hunter

Postby OrangeMilk » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:09 pm

I agree with Buckeye Zac, How could I get involved. It is something I could get eh local PF group to look into.
If you see the ammo in my avatar on sale anywhere, please let me know, thanks.
OrangeMilk
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:53 am

I would like to be involved in that as well. Maybe I can talk our DU committee into doing something
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby camolab » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 pm

Hunters Helping soldiers, take a soldier fishing and many others are out there also. go to your local veterans service office (usually a county run thing) and let them know your intentions which I assume are taking a veteran out on a trip or something. wounded warriors is way to big for themselves and it takes a lot to get threw to them.

As for the new guy I was new here 2 years ago good luck lol
camolab
hunter

Postby tstroud05 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Buy your own land and dig a pond. Lol, that's what I had to do. Back yard hunting is the best. Hoping to put in a 3 acre pond within the next few years. Helps that I'm within 5 miles of Caesar Creek and Spring Valley. :D. Other than that good luck.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:15 pm

tstroud05 wrote:Buy your own land and dig a pond. Lol, that's what I had to do. Back yard hunting is the best. Hoping to put in a 3 acre pond within the next few years. Helps that I'm within 5 miles of Caesar Creek and Spring Valley. :D. Other than that good luck.

Nice.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:29 pm

tstroud05 wrote:Buy your own land and dig a pond. Lol, that's what I had to do. Back yard hunting is the best. Hoping to put in a 3 acre pond within the next few years. Helps that I'm within 5 miles of Caesar Creek and Spring Valley. :D. Other than that good luck.

Don't forget the big ass aerator!! :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting