Hunter falles in great Miami River

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Hunter falles in great Miami River

Postby crohrer » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:31 pm

MIAMI TWP. - A 70-year-old duck hunter survived after his boat capsized Sunday on the icy Great Miami River in Hamilton County's Shawnee Lookout Park.

The man was in the frigid water for about two hours before being spotted by other duck hunters.

"They pulled him out of the water and kept him warm," said Todd Williams, of the Hamilton County Park Rangers' Shawnee Lookout park office. "They're heroes."

Williams said Jerry Vickers took his motorized flat-bottom boat out alone Sunday morning. At about 10 a.m., he thinks Vickers may have leaned over the side of the boat in an attempt to loosen debris caught in the rear propeller. The motion rocked the boat enough to cause it to capsize, Williams said.

Two hours later, a group of duck hunters spotted Vickers. They pulled him from the cold water into their boat or his boat, and called authorities.

They said Vickers was "conscious but a little incoherent" when they reached him, Williams said.

The hunters tied his boat to theirs to tow it back to shore.

When rescue crews arrived, they commandeered a boat being operated by another group of duck hunters to bring the man back to shore more quickly. He was taken to University Hospital and released at about 6 p.m.

Williams said the man's body temperature was 94 degrees when he got to the hospital.

It was not the first water rescue at that park, but the first one Williams has been involved in.

Williams said all the hunters - those who found Vickers and those who loaned their boat to the retrieval effort - should be considered heroes for their efforts.

Temperatures reached the mid-30s on Sunday with wind gusts of 28 to 30 mph, according to the National Weather Service.

The 1,421-acre park has a boat ramp giving access to the Great Miami River. It also includes hundreds of acres of wetlands, an 18-hole golf course and the Shawnee Center - a club house, pro shop and snack shop with archaeological exhibits.
crohrer
hunter

Don't trust everything you read

Postby sliprig » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:20 am

To bad this story's only about half right. I hunted with Jerry since the late 70's and talked to him the next day. Didn't happen the way the story reads. Be nice if the news reported the facts and not what they think will sell. Lots of lessons to be learned from this. When he's ready maybe I'll post them.
sliprig
Newb

Re: Don't trust everything you read

Postby crohrer » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:37 pm

sliprig wrote:To bad this story's only about half right. I hunted with Jerry since the late 70's and talked to him the next day. Didn't happen the way the story reads. Be nice if the news reported the facts and not what they think will sell. Lots of lessons to be learned from this. When he's ready maybe I'll post them.

Please do i hunt down there also and would like to know the truth also i'm glad he is ok he is the most decated hunter i know i have talk to Jerry but don't know him personaly. He did give some good advice once he stop by my boat while hunting as we were talking he ask me if i had another sorce of power if my motor quit running. i now carry a trolling motor with me not muck but should get me to the bank.
Chuck
crohrer
hunter

Postby sliprig » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:13 pm

Old Jerry's still kickin, guess he will be pounding them in a couple days.
sliprig
Newb

Postby crohrer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Haven't seen him all summer if he is still walking he still hunting
crohrer
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 am

Glad to hear he is alright. He sure has a good story to tell now.
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby crohrer » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:13 pm

Well going sauger fishing 11-26 going up the river and guess who i seen Jerry in the middle of the ohio river heading back to Tanners ramp,
he was still there when i got there he is doing fine he was deer hunting up thr miami somewere. he hasen't see many duck or geese in the miami, is't so low can't put in at shawnee yet.
crohrer
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting