I learned my lesson

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

I learned my lesson

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:15 pm

I was home for fall break and made the mistake of hunting Caesar Creek Lake for the opener. I could not believe the circus that took place. Guys putting there boats in right up till and past shooting time, sittin in their boats with no dekes and just blasting at anything they could see. guys shooting at comorants, guys chasing ducks down in their boat and blasting from the bow while under power, skyblasting. It was a disgrace and a shameful thing to watch. Never again will I be there on opening day. Was only there cause I am a college student in northern indiana and dont have time to do any scouting. It was the only place I knew of.
Just venting I guess
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jsa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 am

That's really frustrating. CJ Brown wasn't near as bad as that. We just get the whole place calling. As soon as someone starts, everyone else does too.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:26 am

how did you guys do at CJ Brown? me and my brother ended up taking a few birds at CC Lake after the yahoos had gone home.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby duckinater » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:38 am

Where were you at on CC? The place we have gone to I have never seen anyone else. Granted it was second season when you had to bust ice to get out on the water but....
duckinater
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:36 am

we were on a point off the main lake over by the wellman boat ramp. usually it is clear of people, we hunt there pretty often during the season. we have never hunted this early in the season, when we normally do is in december and alot of people arent out anymore.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jsa » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:38 pm

Botiz630 wrote:how did you guys do at CJ Brown?

Got nothing...

I was only out for an hour and a half Sat morning before I had to get to the office. Sat. eve turned into "date night" due to my boys' unexpected sleepover with the grandparents.

Sunday I dropped a goose and watched it swim off into the fog before I could catch up. Sunday eve I laid out next to a farm pond, nothing was flying there.

I'll not go out without a canoe now...
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:47 pm

Not bashing you good fella's here but this probelm is one reason I NEVER mention an area on the internet EVEN if I don't hunt it. Not too many public lakes are a secret, I realize...but I know there are way more cyber scouters than most people realize.

Slobs doing what you describe do not take the time to find areas on their own time and trouble.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby whack'em » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:36 am

If you want to keep your spots you never post directions on the internet. I have been burned several times and learned my lesson quick.
whack'em
hunter

Postby drake14 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 pm

Thats right fellas, thats why I only hunt somewhere east of the Mississippi.
drake14
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting