Higher fuel costs, less hunting?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Higher fuel costs, less hunting?

Postby Wags » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:54 pm

Wow, we've all been watching the gasoline prices creep higher and higher this year. They are saying here in Ohio $3.00 a gallon shortly. I'm kind of lucky, I live in Wood County and work in Ottawa County where I do 90% of my waterfowl hunting. I usually hunt in the mornings directly after work. So really I'm not spending the extra cash commuting just to hunt.

I know there are some that travel up to 150 miles a couple times a week or more during waterfowl season just to hunt the big pond (Lake Erie). Will these higher fuel costs slow down your hunting habits, or will you cut other expenses so you can keep your routine?

I'm very curious what other traveling hunters are thinking. Good hunting!

Wags
Wags
hunter

Postby 5150Fred » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:41 pm

Wags

I hunt and live right here in Ottawa cty. These fuel prices will not deter my hunting. Glad to hear your having a great year so far. :thumbsup:
There's nothing like seeing'em cupped and committed
5150Fred
hunter

Postby Wags » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:03 pm

I'm very lucky to have good friends here who let me tag along from time to time. On the fuel prices, if I had to swing the round trip of 60 miles twice a day in my former gas guzzler I'd re-think how much hunting I'd be doing this year.
Wags
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting