HOLY ICE

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, jsa, cartervj, andrew_kirby

HOLY ICE

Postby amsrc11 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:58 pm

went out to the blind this morning at hueston woods. we were expecting to have some ice at the ramp, but not much after that. when i started to back the boat down the trailer went on top of the ice!!! i could not belive it. i then felt it was unsafe to try to make it out. we ended up driving down to the blind to find that the entire lake was completley frozen over. we mannaged to open a samll hole, but to no prevale. we did see a ton of ducks. there was a few other guys out, but it did not sound like they were doing any good! might try ceasers creek tomorrow, or the miami river? hope it goes better than today
amsrc11
hunter

Postby BLACKJACK225 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:01 pm

We have been out at ceasars creek for the past 2 days and got nothin, only seen a couple here and there. Did you give it a shot?
BLACKJACK225
hunter

Postby duckinater » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 am

BLACKJACK225 wrote:We have been out at ceasars creek for the past 2 days and got nothin, only seen a couple here and there. Did you give it a shot?

We gave it a try and saw nothing. Everything was really high. Seems like nothing is working in this year. Cant get anything close! :mad:
duckinater
hunter

Postby Ohio Wildfowler » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 pm

We have beat the ducks up pretty good the last couple of weekends. We ( 3 of use ) got 11 mallrds a week ago last Saturday and 13 mallards this past Sunday ( 4 of use ) all in the same field. The Geese aren't cooperating though,have not seen more than 50 on both hunts.
Tim

DU Committee (Miami County)

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow.

There is always a need for speed with steel shot
Ohio Wildfowler
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckinater » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:18 am

Ohio Wildfowler wrote:We have beat the ducks up pretty good the last couple of weekends. We ( 3 of use ) got 11 mallrds a week ago last Saturday and 13 mallards this past Sunday ( 4 of use ) all in the same field. The Geese aren't cooperating though,have not seen more than 50 on both hunts.

I dont know what we are doing wrong but we have yet to get any green heads this year. We each got 1 wood duck in the early season and thats it. Just cant figure it out...

Where abouts you guys hunting?
duckinater
hunter

Postby R. Toker » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 pm

We had good luck with Woodies during the first split. Since the second split has come back in we have hunted geese and have been having great success. We hunted a cut corn field Monday that is near Tappan Lake. We had around 300 geese in the air coming from all directions.
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Postby jsa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:02 pm

I have taken greenheads off a small pond on private property, have had zero luck with the honkers unless you count gifts.

The farm pond is frozen over now so I'm back to square one. :huh:
jsa
State Moderator

Postby R. Toker » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:46 pm

We got drenched with rain down here today and lots of fields are flooded. Lots of greenheads and honkers loving these wet conditions here in Harrison County. Can't wait to get back out.
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Postby Ohio Wildfowler » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:09 pm

We were out in the rain this morning hunting a field next to one that has had 500 - 600 + canadas in it for the past week (someone else beat use, for permission to hunt, the field they are landing & feeding in for permission for the weekend). The three of use got our limit of 6 geese in short order after they started flying from a field next to it that we got permission for. Only saw about a dozen mallards and they wouldn't get close enough for a shot.
Last edited by Ohio Wildfowler on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

DU Committee (Miami County)

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow.

There is always a need for speed with steel shot
Ohio Wildfowler
Forum & State Moderator

Postby whack'em » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:12 pm

All we have been shooting are mallards. Probably seen 200-300 mallards this morning. Taking a break and hitting my goose field Wed in the rain. The roost down the road has about 500 geese on it and 200+ ducks including pentails and blacks.
whack'em
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting