Ohio River?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Ohio River?

Postby 82989 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:50 pm

I live in NC but have family in East Liverpool. When I go visit in the winter I see a lot of ducks on the river. Is there any good hunting to be done around there? Be a long haul pulling my boat (9hrs), so it is definately out of the question. Just curious to see wheither yall shoot ducks around there.
hunter

Postby 37FOX » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Nope. No ducks here. :smile:
37FOX
hunter

Postby 82989 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:47 pm

Seriously?

I was looking a serious answer.
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:29 pm

I have never hunted the Ohio River, my stomping grounds are about 45 minutes north of it. We can do all right up here if conditions are right. I dont really understand the rules and regs of hunting the river, and wouldnt know where to go if i did. Too far to drive for me, i have plenty of places much closer to home.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:30 pm

I know some guys that hunt it and they say they do well if the water level is up...
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby cynergyone » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 pm

It is so hard to hunt the river. You have to obey west virginia's season dates and bag limits because they own the river. You also have to watch where and how you hunt. There are a lot of gray areas on regulations on hunting the river. Basically the only way you can hunt is having your boat completely disconnected from any shoreline and be sitting in your boat. Almost all the land on the ohio and west virginaia shorelines are within city limits and you are not allowed to discharge a firearm within those city limits. I have some ohio dnr officers checking on some things for me and I'll be sure to post them as soon as I hear from them. I'm not too far south of east liverpool, maybe 30 minutes and I skipped out on hunting the river this year because of all the confusion on how I was able to hunt it. I know this isn't much help but hopefully I hear something before next season. Hope everyone's season went well.
cynergyone
hunter

Postby 82989 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:30 pm

cynergyone wrote:It is so hard to hunt the river. You have to obey west virginia's season dates and bag limits because they own the river. You also have to watch where and how you hunt. There are a lot of gray areas on regulations on hunting the river. Basically the only way you can hunt is having your boat completely disconnected from any shoreline and be sitting in your boat. Almost all the land on the ohio and west virginaia shorelines are within city limits and you are not allowed to discharge a firearm within those city limits. I have some ohio dnr officers checking on some things for me and I'll be sure to post them as soon as I hear from them. I'm not too far south of east liverpool, maybe 30 minutes and I skipped out on hunting the river this year because of all the confusion on how I was able to hunt it. I know this isn't much help but hopefully I hear something before next season. Hope everyone's season went well.

Thanks for the information. There are very few places that ive seen that wasnt built up a long the river. We go to cabelas everytime were there and the whole ride downriver is pretty much took up. But where it isnt sure looks like good hunting to me.
hunter

Re: Ohio River?

Postby averyevans » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:31 pm

i have had some amazing river hunts, just have to stick to the back waters and little tributarys, scout out around 40 miles east of marrietta area, some good backwaters, private beaver ponds that most folk could care less if your banging birds, just not there deer, i hunt it every jan with great sucess, dont let anyone else tell ya otherwise, just talk to local police and they will fiill ya in on the areas ya can be in, check out french creek public, area around there, great ,and talk to them farmers,
averyevans
Newb

Re: Ohio River?

Postby BuckeyeDuck » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 pm

I have some buddies that hunt around the Gallipolis area and they hammer ducks, or at least they say they do :) Never really hunted the Ohio, but I have seen quite a few birds sitting on it. I can tell you that there is not a lot of people that hunt the area around Portsmouth OH/Ashland KY and I see a lot of birds when I travel through there. Always wanted to hunt it, but never did.

BD
.....they ain't gettin' any closer!!!
FMI Field Staff - Team Strait Meat
BuckeyeDuck
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting