Central Ohio Retriever Training Day

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, cartervj, jsa

Central Ohio Retriever Training Day

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 am

Guys,

Floating this out there...our AKC Retriever Club (Ohio Valley Retriever Club - OVRC) is thinking of putting on a training day aimed at guys/gals that would like to know more about Retriever Clubs and what we do -especially related to training dogs to work in the field.

The day would consist of running marks on winger thrown ducks (singles and doubles), training concepts, obedience (for the hunting dog) walk through, perhaps an informal collar clinic. In additon we'd likely go through a simple test set-up and run 3 of our dogs at the JH, SH and MH levels so people get an idea of test/skill looks like. Including running blinds.

This would be open to anyone and their dog(s) interested in participating and learning more. It is a family oriented group so kids welcomed! Am putting together an agenda so if you are interested...post here or PM me. We'll do this on a Saturday or Sunday in May.

Open to all retrieving breeds - Chessies, Labs, Goldens, Tollers, Flatcoats, etc

Thanks,
Al
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: Central Ohio Retriever Training Day

Postby jsa » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Please keep us posted.

I'll be looking into a dog soon. My six year old is convinced were getting a pup soon, so I may have to make that happen. Since kids aren't well known for responsibility, it'll be my dog... Given that, I'm looking at retrievers!

How do hunt dogs typically fare in homes with small children?
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks and will do. I'll have an agenda in a day or so with a date.

As far as hunting retrievers with kids at home - permission to speak freely...a well trained hunting retriever is about the most obedient dog on earth. A huntng breed does not a hunting dog make so with obedience as the foundation of a successful gundog - not only will you have a stud retriever but you will also have the best behaved and controlled dog in your neighborhood. I guarantee it.

Besides pups and 6 years olds go together. :thumbsup: You're right though - it will be your dog and the only consideration is teaching the family, as well as the dog, - what the rules are.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:02 am

OVRC Central Ohio Retriever Training Day

Here’s the info and our goals for the day. My personal interest here is giving those with hunting retrievers (and those that are planning on a hunting retriever) the opportunity to work with a group that both hunts and tests their dogs. Spending most of my time on the dog forum at DHC, I know there are numerous myths and inaccuracies about tests versus trials versus hunting dogs along with “what a hunting dog needs” to be a good dog in the field.

The PRIMARY reason I joined a club was so I could train a dog to get my birds. All of them, every single one. Marked falls in any environment and the ability to direct my dog to birds he didn’t see fall. Let’s face it…Ohio ain’t the duck capital of the world and every bird counts. We all work hard to find them and drop them.

Nor had I really ever hunted over a solid retriever. I didn’t really know what a dog was capable of and how much fun it is to get them there. So the goal is to invite people out for a day, with or without their dog (folks planning on buying a pup are certainly welcomed) and have some fun running dogs and picking up some birds. The day is for you and your dog.

So the agenda is as follows:

 Brief intro to Ohio Valley Retriever Club and our Mission
 Walk through of protocol (dogs when not running should be kenneled – bring plenty of water for them)
 Intro to obedience by example (quick walkthrough on the importance of obedience to a gundog using example club dogs)
 Intro to e-Collar and conditioning (many myths out there – we’ll review the proper use and theory behind e-collars)
 Use and purpose of a Heeling Stick (an important and inexpensive tool)
 Use of a program (what materials are out there for training yourself and what purpose they serve)
 Set-up run by a JH, SH, and MH dog to show work levels (we’ll set up with throwers and dead ducks – running through junior type dogs all the way to master dogs to show their work, providing a benchmark you may want to set for your dog)
 Set-up for participating dog and handlers (this is where you get to play – we’ll do some set-ups that your dog can run and get birds in their mouths – no pressure, all fun!)
 Pigeon flyer shoot ( we’ll do some live birds as you handle your dog – club members will do the shooting)

We are asking for a reservation response so we can plan. Please PM here or send me an email with any questions to:
gundogphotos@columbus.rr.com

Directions provided upon reservation

Thanks,
Al
Last edited by HNTFSH on Fri May 01, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Want a great hunting retriever? Want to keep ducks in your dogs mouth year round? Want to slap a title on your buddy? Want to meet some great folks with the same passion as you?

PM me for a spot in our club training day for new folks on Sunday May 31st in Central Ohio.

Club training day shots - working a dog through and back over obstacles:

HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Fri May 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Bumparoni!! I want to hear from some of you guys!!! :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Fri May 08, 2009 5:14 pm