AKC/HRC/NAVHDA/NAHRA

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

AKC/HRC/NAVHDA/NAHRA

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:04 pm

Anybody in the Ohio Forum with a dog running tests or training in a club? If so - what and where? If not...why not?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: AKC/HRC/NAVHDA/NAHRA

Postby tstroud05 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:53 pm

I think I am putting Kingston in the started test this fall. Just depends on how much time I have to work with him this summer.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:19 pm

That's great - I think you'd enjoy running it! If your dog is ready enough to hunt it's ready for a started test.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby tstroud05 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:46 pm

I went to the HRC hunt test at East Fork Lake last month. I am almost positive he could pass it right now, but I am worried how he will do around all of the commotion. He is very steady and obedient, but he tends to have issues focusing on the retrieve when I send him. That is only if there are more than just my buddy and his dog. He does okay with them. Katherine and I went out one day and he didn't do so well focusing on marking the bird. That is why I need to work with him some more for the started test.
Hey there 'lil fella', ready to meet your maker?
tstroud05
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:13 am

Gotcha...yea, training in a distractive enviornment like a test set-up will sure help. That's the reason being in a club and training as a group is almost a requirement for running tests. Guess it's like a higher form of socialization, what seems to distract them the most is the other dog smells moreso than people. :yes:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:42 am

TStroud,

This is gonna be in your backyard! I believe this is the HRC club we talked about which Katherine has suggested.

PM me and I can send you the contact information for the club to attend the training day.

"I hope that everyone is having a great summer. The summer has been great so far for training. This is mainly for our newer members, please feel free to contact someone near you in the club and ask them to train. Now is the time that we can make a lot of progress with our dogs. We are having a training day at Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen's Club near Wilmington, OH on July 11th. We will have two water set ups and if the temperatures allow a land set up."
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting