Skiatook Lake

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Skiatook Lake

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 am

Hey I have a buddy of mine that moved out there from Vermont,and is inviting me out there to hunt and I am wondering about the duck and goose hunting out there,any information on that would be nice,I have searched the lakes shore line with google earth and it looks like he has some nice marshy areas behind his house! Apparently he has or lives on 400 acres with lake shore frontage off of rte 20 between Hominy and Skiatook? Just curious about the area and any help would be great! Thanks :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Re: Skiatook Lake

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Your buddy lives on the lake and don't know if ya'll can hunt it or not? Call The City of Skiatook and ASK! A lot of SMWSL ( Small Municipal Water Supply Lakes ) here in Oklahoma are PUBLIC HUNTING! There are usually a few rules . blind/spot draws , fees , etc. ... but they can be a very valuable piece in your overall inventory of Duck Kill'n Spots!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh no I do not know about how the laws work out there,he says come on out and hunt it,I just was asking if anyone had any first hand knowledge about the hunting out there,is it good? When is it good(time of years)and what type of ducks are they hunting out there besides mallards and blacks,...teal,pintails,widgeon,woodies.....ect! He just moved out there last Dec. and is not a duck hunter like me,we hunt deer together and he says there are deer everywhere out there! I am interested in the duck and goose hunting! Shooting a nice buck would not be hard to take either!LOL I am not looking for peoples spots,just general info on the hunting,I am in Vermont and considering a trip out there but have not decided yet! If I do go, should I bring decoys ,layout blinds,boat,dogs,things like that? If I am hunting deer and the duck season runs with the deer season,might be worth it?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 pm

the part about the blinds,does the fish and game department out there have permanent blinds built on public water where you get drawn to use them? We have something like that back here on the wma(wildlife managment area) or snow goose preserve,where they call you a day before the hunt and tell you that you were selected and to be there at 4am and they take you out to a blind and thats it set up decoys and hunt for the day,but it is a pain in the ass! Easier to hunt private land! But is there some sort of lottery for public lands(watersheds)? Sign up date or deadline ? How about a link to the hunting regs? Are they different for certain places in the state,like New York has southern tier,Northern tier,western zone ,Lake zones,and all the hunting dates are different in each zone,start and close! Anything like that out there? We hunt hard up here for geese and ducks,we hunt from Sept-Dec,then again in March for snows! Any help would be nice and general info pertaining to the area mentioned,like does the state even allow hunting on that lake? And maybe private property bordering waterfront,is it private and can you build a permenant blind and do you own the water if you own the land on both sides of a river,some states it is the law,and you can get thrown out of a river you are fishing because they own that part of the river! Fined even!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:08 am

I can't help too much as the last time I hunted Skiatook was the early after it was built. At that time it was open to public hunting with no permanent drawings or special permits.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:50 am

I'm gonna take it on the chin for " answering your question " ... especially the one about ... " is the duck hunting any good out there ?".

Now I ain't never been to your neck of the woods and hunted ducks ... but ... I have heard enough about the duck hunting along the East Coast ... to comforably say ... IT SUCKS ... downright SUCKS ... when compared to what goes on in Oklahoma!

If you have an invite ... tha includes a place to stay with friends ... and you got time to spend on that trip ... you better TAKE IT! One thing I don't hear from the tone of your posts is that you are not comfortable in going to a new place ... especially a new state ... one that no doubt you have heard all your life is full of Bible Thump'n... Gun Tote'n ... unfriendly RED NECKS ... that just love to beat up on ... YANKEE BOYS!

There is some truth to that ... but ... it's way overblown. While you may not get a lot of help off sites like this ... you will find what your look'n for here! YOU CAN GET WELL! But, only IF , you make enough time to SCOUT ... and ... most importantly you have a knack for TALKING to STRANGERS ... right from Get Go!

Our state is basicly made up of 4 different types of Duck Hunting. This is due to several factors but the lay of the land and the amounts of ROW CROP'N that goes on in each ... coupled with the water levels in each as the amounts of rainfall differ widely. The SE is mountainous with a few large man made lakes. Not too many STOCK PONDS or GUVMENT WATERSHEDS. Move up NE and not too much changes ... 'cept there are more " HILLS " than actual mountains.

Move over to the Central area and you find more Cattle and Horse Ranches. On these the ranchers have Dam'd up most any low spot where there is water run off. In addition , during the 50's there was a concentrated governmental program to build large watersheds.

Move to the SW and NW you will find large man made lakes about a half hour between each. Get up FAR NW and SW and it is REALLY DRY.

Overall ... these efforts of build Dams to make bodies of water from THOUSANDS of acres to very SMALL POT HOLES ... means that this state has MORE MILES OF SHORELINE THAN ANY OTHER STATE IN THE UNION! It don't take a Rocket Scientist to figure what that means to ... IS THE DUCK HUNTING ANY GOOD OUT THERE?

IF you can bring a small Jon Boat ( 16 to 18 ft. ... Short Shaft motor ) and a good topo map ( I like the one that's a lot of red on the front ... can't recall the name of them and too la\y to walk out to the truck to find out ... it's found up front of any good Book Store ). The Boat will gurantee you a spot daily to start on. Put the hull in the day before and SCOUT the lake. Pick a spot and see what happens. Stick to that lake if you do well and SEE lots of ducks or Hunters! Move to a new one down the road and try it.

I like the Central and " Western " lakes. They are shallower and in the midst of farming and ranching operations. They have LARGE PUBLIC AREAS open to hunting.

Hunt a lake in the morning and head for the nearest Diner where you see the most pick up trucks and stock trainers sit'n out front. This is where all the " locals " will be coffee'n down or eat'n lunch. This is where your ability to strike up a conversation or NOT! It would be my bet that if you let it out that you are a YANKEE BOY just down to " experience " Oklahoma ... Oklahoma Duck Hunting ... Culture and Cuisine ... some rancher will offer up a stock pond or two on his property! Be sure to TIP the watiress a bit more than normal ... as ... they are an great source of information on just who to talk to and more importantly ... which one(s) are more " approachable " and tend to get it done!

I DONE WENT AND TOLD YOU TOO MUCH ... but what the hell ... if I'm ever up in your neck of the woods I would expect YOU to HELP ME ... GET'R DONE!

Matamoras Much Patos Aqui!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 am

:yes: Thanks for the help UrbanDuckMan! Your assessment of the situation is rather insiteful!

However I am not going to be out there to hunt ducks & geese per say....the invite was for deer hunting,and as much as I have heard about how good it is,I figured with my skills,(as a Yankee),it should be a simple process... to reduce one of your nice whitetails down to some nice steaks,and alittle jerky! Since I am under the impression that it should be simple,I figured if I was going to be out there for a week,might just bring along some decoy,boat,lay out blinds,dogs,and maybe a gun or two,just in case? Since I am going to be within the SkiatooK area,not expecting to travel any farther west,south,nw,sw,anywhere else,..(however I do have a standing offer in Arkansas on some rice field leases... to hunt for 5 days).

Well maybe try to check out some local diner's , like good old home cooking you see!

Since my yankee buddy is in there now,(obviously undercover),scouting out and politic'ing with alot of local folk's,I feel confident in his abilities to secure as much property as he thinks we may need,however,.. where my confidence runs short in his abilities is, ....he is not a duck hunter.....so you see my reasoning for this post!

Now since I do have a very easy way of talking to complete stranger,...I feel very confident in my skills of conversation,to get even some of the most rigid.... Yankee Hating ..Bible Thump'n...Gun tote'n...Rednecks...to be able to feel at ease and comfortable enough to give me permission to roll right in and hunt thier favorite spot.....Becuase Mr Grant and Mr Franklin will be accompaning me there to aide in my negotiations with said land owners! And just so you know I am not far from being talked out of hauling all that gear out there,I think I might just bring my shotgun and dog,just in case I do have to kill some ducks or geese! But I do believe I will more than likely end up taking my Buddy up on his offer to hunt his leases,since he is a guide in the area and a rice grader for the local farmers there,which happens to put him on top of the prime spots to shoot ducks! And all the blinds and gear are already there,it just makes go sense to roll with the sure thing!

But trust me when I tell you,.. while I am there this year,I will be scouting ducks and learning the lay of the land out there,and working on the locals to secure a line of communication that will in the end possibly change that Yankee Hating opinion,because I am okay with the Bible Thunp'n,Gun Tote'n,and the Redneck part of all that! Is there any other way to be?

Thanks again for your time....and hope you did not catch too much crap for all the valuable info you passed along!
As you know we never would have won the war had it not been for the spies we had within the Confederate Army...again than you for your help!...Lmao!!! :yes:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Sparks0812 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:11 am

These Oklahoma whitetails do make a fine steak. They may make a few less steaks than you're used too but I think they taste a little better than your "yankee" whitetails...

You won't meet any hunters at Skiatooks "Tastee Freeze" but it's worth stopping in to at least grab a cherry limeade or ice-cream if you happen to hit one of the 80+ degree hunting days.

Good luck as you learn the ways of the Bible Thunp'n, Gun Tote'n, Redneck :lol3:
Sparks0812
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:39 am

pete/pmr wrote:Bible Thunp'n,Gun Tote'n,and the Redneck part of all that!
I am proud to say that I am two of the three.
Last edited by Specklebelly on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 pm

A " Word of Caution " regarding your traveling buddies! Don't be suprised if in fact that making a financial incentive offer TOO SOON in the negotiating process is taken in a negative manner. Believe it or not and I may take a bit of heat over spilling the beans on this one is ... it is a fact that a large percentage of Oklahoma " land owners " DO NOT look to have folks on thier property ... FOR DA MONEY!

Deer , Wuail and Turkey hunting is one thing but Duck Hunting is another! They just don't believe in a lot of instances that anyone would even want to hunt Da Ducks! You may have to wait till after Deer Season to get onto one of thier precious Watersheds ... but believe me that's worth the wait.

The spots we have strung together over 12 years of effort in these parts are NOT Deer Hunting Spots. A few are Deer Hunted by " the Grandkids " a time or two but most are not Deer Hunted. DUCKS? Hell ... go kill al dem nasty sumbitches you want!

Some large landowners have a bit of a " complex " about all of this. They can also be influenced by religious tenets. It's like , " I feel guilty that I own all this land and stuff and very few people are as fortunate ... so ... I FEE BETTER LET'N THEM USE IT A BIT ". That sounds corny as hell ... but it's been true quite a few times over the years. In fact, we're still shoot'n those spots ... spots that Texicans have walked in and offered butt loads of dollars to push us off. If you can't " talk religion " ... you might be at a disadvantage!

HANDSHAKE DEALS based on a " personal relationship " built in but a short period of time stand'n out in front of the house under a big tree can still the norm in some parts of the state!

Matamoras Mucho Patos Aqui!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 pm

Not to confuse this anymore, but I live next to skiatook and have never seen a rice field..... Maybe I wouldnt know if I did, but it's a lot df rock and blackjack oak, a rattler or two, scorpion, few taranchalas, haven't seen rice. The lake stinks for fishing, haven't seen much for waterfowl out there, but didn't actually hunt it last year either, had a few spots that kept producing otherwise I prob would have tried. Good luck!
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:09 pm

Oh UrbanDuckMan......them fellas out there in Oklahoma are sitting home reading all this and saying,.... What the hell is he doing given up all this good information? School'n some dumb Yankee on our ways of obtainin all the hunting lands around!"... Well do not worry as my Buddy has just informed me that we have more than enough land too hunt for deer!

And if it is a hot day out there for deer season,(say one of your famous 80 + degree days), I will more then likely use that down time to do alittle scouting , ( in my truck with the ac on ),of the local waterways out and about that area!Then I am going to got to a nice little diner and get me something to eat! Hope ya'll got catfish out there on the menu?

You see my friend...(may I call ya friend)...I spent some years down south,(it might behoove you to know)..I lived in Georgia for some years...(about 12 of 'em)...down around Columbus,right near the Alabama border,.....actually spent most of mine time in Alabama,little place called Camp Darby! Fun times back then! However ,I was not interested in the duck hunting then,just deer and hog's,...(and the occational persons) ...we'll just leave that for another time! So again thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Ps.Ya'll got tall trees out there? From what I have been told,treestands ain't needed,all ya'll got out there is scrub oaks! Up here in my neck of the woods I am 22ft up on a climber treestand before I am trimming limbs to go higher! Deer don't play up here they spot you 15-20 ft off the ground! All I need to do is bring my 300 wsm,and the 16 power scope,and since I am brushing up on my 300-400yrd shooting now,(since the weather here is hot 80 + degrees today),figured it would be wise to do alittle practicin!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:40 am

In skiatook country you will be severely hard pressed to find a tree to put a climber in, most trees are nasty black jack oak wich is short and bushy. Your only luck finding a good tree may be creek bottoms. Sounds like your buddy should have that all under control. That being said unless your hunting field edges I can't imagine any long distant shots. I moved here a year and a half ago from ohio so I'm a climber guy as well. Anymore it's more work finding a tree than anything else. The main area I hunted was a climber on a field edge, took a buck at 150 and a doe so close in the woods I had my scope on the lowest pwr and still had to look fr the transition of the wnhite and brown patch on the neck. That's the other thing ive noticed is the woods themselves are so much thicker than wat I've been accustomed to.

If you want to leave 90 % of your duck gear at home I'll trade you and your buddy a duck hunt for a deer hunt. I basically live in skiatook. Not sure what this year will be like as far as hunts. Last yr was a bad drought so there were a lot of mud flats and I spent a lot of time in a layout blind on the lakes, only using the boat to get from point a to point b and stay away from the crowds. This yr the water is up and if it stays it would change things drastically. Now we're hitting 100s everyday without any rain in sight. If this keeps up it may be similar to last yr. i think the type of hunt depends on time of yr, weather and water levels.
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:48 am

That is what he was telling me that it is not easy finding a tree to hunt out of,he is a big treestand /ledge hunter! But I am pulling his treestands tomorrow and getting then cleaned up and ready for him when he comes home for the last week in July!I have three ground blinds(Double bulls) thinking of giving him one of my older ones to take back with him! Might work better for him out there than treestands!

I also hunt Coshockton ,Ohio each year for bow! Love it out there! First year out there I ruined a set or scent blocker road tours with all the wild rosebushes and some God aweful thorn bushes! I still have scars on my legs and thighs from them!LOL

As for hunting,or trading a hunt,I will mention it to Roger when I see him this month! He says he lives out of Skiatook on rte 20,you go across two bridges and take a right,then out to some road,(no names on the roads just numbers), he has two ponds on his property,one is a swimming pond and the other must be livestock pond? He has horses and does the whole rodeo thing! But he has 400 acres to hunt all too himself!

He is just now learning the area and goes out riding the horses in the evenings so he is scouting alot when he's out there! Says there are deer right in the dooryard everyday! So I guess when he comes home he will fill me in on the land and what he thinks about hunting it!

We are use too mountains,open hardwood hills,and lush green farm lands with corn and alfalfa fields and soybeans! Apple orchards that have been abandoned and are now part of the lower landscape! Above the hardwoods are pine and spruce then wind torn ridge tops!

Once I find out from him what the deal is I will let you know if he is willing to do that!Trade a hunt! He is not a duck hunter however! He only hunts deer,not much of anything else!We use to hunt squirrels alot about 20 years ago! I hunt deer,turkeys and duck and geese myself and enjoy the duck and goose hunting more than the others because of my dogs! Love watching then work!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 am

Here are a few pics of what we are use too hunting!
This is another stand,actually one of Rogers!
This just me pimping my new Ruger 280! LOL
This is the view from my stand on the ridgetop! Bottom right of pic is where deer come up from feeding each morning!

So as you can see the types of trees and land is completely different,and hunting here it is not a problem to find a tree to put a stand in!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:13 am

Just an idea. I'm sure I could hook you up either way. Im sure you understand this but there have been way too many times I've busted my but to help someone else out and never got a thing in return maybe not even a thank you, sometimes just complaints. I'm not saying thats what it's all about, but it gets old giving and giving and people just taking. anymore I try to arrange a trade ahead of time just to know the other party isn't in it only for himself. Anyhow, enough of that, sounds like I live about 20 mins from your buddy. Not sure how the deer are out your way, but the deer you will find around skiatook will be a half to a third the size of a normal coshocton deer!
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby Sparks0812 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 am

That is true. Most of the does we shoot come in at a whopping 86 pounds. However my buddy did shoot a 150 pound doe not far from Tulsa last year. I was amazed to say the least
Sparks0812
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:48 am

Seriously? Because if a doe is only 85lbs what do you get like 30lbs of meat when all said and done? My Black lab weights 97lbs! My yellow is 77lbs!

Here is a pick of the buck I took during bow season here last year,he was a 2 year old 167lbs,this is a small buck!
So I should bring my 222 for deer hunting out there?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 am

ErieAngler wrote:Just an idea. I'm sure I could hook you up either way. Im sure you understand this but there have been way too many times I've busted my but to help someone else out and never got a thing in return maybe not even a thank you, sometimes just complaints. I'm not saying thats what it's all about, but it gets old giving and giving and people just taking. anymore I try to arrange a trade ahead of time just to know the other party isn't in it only for himself. Anyhow, enough of that, sounds like I live about 20 mins from your buddy. Not sure how the deer are out your way, but the deer you will find around skiatook will be a half to a third the size of a normal coshocton deer!

Not to worry about my intensions,if you hook me up, I will hook you up! If I cannot help you out,then I will let you know that ahead of time,but I am certain that I would be able to introduce you to Roger and that a deal could be worked out for hunting in or on the land he has available! For one thing he does not know hardly anyone in the area,and he loves deer hunting,so he would love someone to hunt with,and that would be up to you and him to work out,all he is looking for would be someone to show him around and be a friend,he is an honest guy, to a fault,trusting, and if you ask me a real friend not a fake guy,if he becomes friends with you he is a true friend! He is one of the most stand up guys I know!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Right on, I hunt by myself 95% of the time because it's hard to find a good hunting friend partner anymore. I just assume do all the work myself and know I only have myself to blame. Moving out here all you hear about are leases, "nobody gives permission these days" pretty discouraging when you know you can't afford a lease yourself. But just like I've always done I spent a bunch of time working on getting to know an area and talking with folks and it's opened a lot of doors for duck hunting permission and some deer. I still hunt alot of public though. Stopping somewhere, knowing the owners name, a good hand shake and introduction, and the willingness to sit on the front porch and talk for as long as they like goes a long way. I will say deer is much more difficult than duck, I seem to find everyone has a story about hunters who have done them wrong, which is just sad for those who truly respect the sport and would give an arm and a leg to help another out.

Give me a shout when the time nears and we can see where the season is. If I remember right the season split was during rifle season until early dec.
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby Sparks0812 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:30 pm

I kid you not. You can fit an entire deer in a storage tub put in the back of a car if you want haha. But deer here have no reason to put fat on. Last winter, we didn't even have a winter. There was grass or vegetation available year round. You won't find any starving deer this far south.

Oklahoma no longer requires you to weigh out your deer but the large deer I shot last season was no wear close to 167. A 243, 270 or 3006 would suffice
Sparks0812
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Well I have a 270 wsm around here somewhere!

It is sad how people direspect land they have been given permission to hunt,then they take that privaledge and disrespect the owners wishes!All land I hunt I speak with the owner,kmow the owner thru time invested getting to know them,and I help them out in any way that I can! I also always stop and check the property if I see something out of the ordinary,because for one I do not want to be blamed,and two,I am going to see what is out of place or wrong,do what needs to be to fix it or clean it up,I cannot tell you how many pickup loads of crap I have hauled off of one of the properties I hunt! People have dumped appliances to roofing shingles,to household trash! I clean it up and haul it away! Let me catch the Ba#*@ards! I will have photos now that I stake out spots with trail cams mounted up in the tree looking down! :wink: Gets them everytime!

But up here we call it,... Politicing with the locals!... and it is not a one time visit,it is every time you drive by you wave,slow down,and be friendly or neighborly,and after about a year of that,you bring up the hunting,and how are the deer around here? Farmers know the deer,they know all the game on thier property,if they are still working it! I have helped hay thier fields,helped split firewood for there home,have scrubbed hundreds of sugar buckets,shoveled out thier barns,built new pole barns for them,you make yourself helpful too them,leave your phone number,name and where you live,regardless if they give you permission or not,and remind them that if they need anything,don't hesitate to call! And everytime you pass by,give a wave,stop and chat,whatever,once they see you enough,get to know you a bit,more than likely you will get in to hunt! But you gotta respect it like it is yours!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Mrblurr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30 pm

I can agree with some of the others. I live around Collinsville and haven't had much luck finding any Duck spots lately. It's been HARD because 20 years ago no one really cared. You could go hunt on whoevers property and 90%of the time they wouldn't care as long as you cleaned up and didn't shoot their livestock. Well after people started doing those 2 things, the landowners got fed up and stopped letting people hunt or made them pay a hefty lease to do so unless they knew them well.

So around my neck of the woods, you either hunt public spots or know someone with a ranch or nice field with a pond or 2 on it. I can say the it has hurt my soul to see 1000+ Mallards on a pond (LITERALLY COVERING IT) and not be able to hunt it because the new foreman for the ranch doesn't like you.
Ducks...mmmmmmmmmmm
Mrblurr
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Mrblurr wrote:I can agree with some of the others. I live around Collinsville and haven't had much luck finding any Duck spots lately. It's been HARD because 20 years ago no one really cared. You could go hunt on whoevers property and 90%of the time they wouldn't care as long as you cleaned up and didn't shoot their livestock. Well after people started doing those 2 things, the landowners got fed up and stopped letting people hunt or made them pay a hefty lease to do so unless they knew them well.

So around my neck of the woods, you either hunt public spots or know someone with a ranch or nice field with a pond or 2 on it. I can say the it has hurt my soul to see 1000+ Mallards on a pond (LITERALLY COVERING IT) and not be able to hunt it because the new foreman for the ranch doesn't like you.

I'm in the same area as you. If you don't know anyone, your only option is to drive. Probably about an hour in any direction to find any promising spots. It sucks, but it is what it is. It's one of the reasons why I am moving out of this area after I'm done with college.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:25 am

Regarding the original general questions about duck hunting and Skiatook Lake: More than half of the shoreline of Skiatook is public hunting, either state land or federal land. Search Oklahoma Department of Wildlife (ODWC) website for regs in general for OK ; search Tulsa District Corps of Engineers for Federal land (hunting maps or Corps Lakes).

In general, of the multitude of large lakes out here, Skiatook is not one I'd consider a duck lake. Course, I've not spent much time loooking at it (for ducks), and if your buddy has 400 acres on the lake, he may have a "good spot" for a poor lake. Never even heard any real chatter about duck hunting on that lake either. Seems most of the posts on this thread are focusing on lakes. There are lots of "WDUs" out here built specifically for walk-in type hunters. ODWC website has info on these. If you think you may only have a few days to hunt ducks, you may consider leaving a LOT of that gear you mention at home (even the boat), and hit a few walk-in spots with a bag of decoys.

Oklahoma has TONS, I will repeat TONS, of public hunting compared to most states, especially you right coast states (BTW, I'm a Maryland transplant out here). Most lifelong Oklahoma residents have no clue how good they have it out here.

Both websites I referenced are buried somewhere on this state forum. You can also search other key words on this forum and find good info. Sometime, a few years back, I put out a longer dtailed post on the public hunting spots in the NE part of the state. I'll bump it if I can find it.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting