Skiatook Lake

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Skiatook Lake

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Regarding the original general questions about duck hunting and Skiatook Lake: More than half of the shoreline of Skiatook is public hunting, either state land or federal land. Search Oklahoma Department of Wildlife (ODWC) website for regs in general for OK ; search Tulsa District Corps of Engineers for Federal land (hunting maps or Corps Lakes).

In general, of the multitude of large lakes out here, Skiatook is not one I'd consider a duck lake. Course, I've not spent much time loooking at it (for ducks), and if your buddy has 400 acres on the lake, he may have a "good spot" for a poor lake. Never even heard any real chatter about duck hunting on that lake either. Seems most of the posts on this thread are focusing on lakes. There are lots of "WDUs" out here built specifically for walk-in type hunters. ODWC website has info on these. If you think you may only have a few days to hunt ducks, you may consider leaving a LOT of that gear you mention at home (even the boat), and hit a few walk-in spots with a bag of decoys.

Oklahoma has TONS, I will repeat TONS, of public hunting compared to most states, especially you right coast states (BTW, I'm a Maryland transplant out here). Most lifelong Oklahoma residents have no clue how good they have it out here.

Both websites I referenced are buried somewhere on this state forum. You can also search other key words on this forum and find good info. Sometime, a few years back, I put out a longer dtailed post on the public hunting spots in the NE part of the state. I'll bump it if I can find it.

Also...since it seems like we are going to have at least a sufficient amount of water this season, spots such as Skiatook, which are not normally ducky places, can change dramatically when the water level gets high enough. Spots that were completely out of the question during the drought could turn into hotspots this season.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Isn't Skiatook still 6 feet below normal?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Isn't Skiatook still 6 feet below normal?

Yep, just checked. There's still hope though...you never know :yes:
But actually since it was so far below normal for such a long time before, maybe there is some newly flooded vegetation.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:34 am

Skiatook Lake has a tiny watershed compared to most other Corps lakes (one of the smallest); it is pretty much Hominy creek and that is it. I think the watershed it collects runoff from is only 75ish square miles (compared to some lakes fed by rivers with 100s of square miles of watershed). All these rains we have gotten have simply pretty much tracked barely north of that watershed, or south. We'd need a substantial rain event stalled over that specific watershed to increase levels well. Which ain't unheard of. Lakes like Hulah and Copan (with small watersheds, though bigger than Skiatook) have "filled up" in a day in the past.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:40 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:Skiatook Lake has a tiny watershed compared to most other Corps lakes (one of the smallest); it is pretty much Hominy creek and that is it. I think the watershed it collects runoff from is only 75ish square miles (compared to some lakes fed by rivers with 100s of square miles of watershed). All these rains we have gotten have simply pretty much tracked barely north of that watershed, or south. We'd need a substantial rain event stalled over that specific watershed to increase levels well. Which ain't unheard of. Lakes like Hulah and Copan (with small watersheds, though bigger than Skiatook) have "filled up" in a day in the past.

But don't the tributaries for Hulah and Copan go into KS quite a ways?
Yeah Skiatook is pretty much limited to Osage county for inflow.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting