Deer changes

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Deer changes

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 pm

takem1010 wrote:I would support the one buck a year. I still support the antler restriction. I very rarely if ever see a mature 4-6 point, maybe its this areas we hunt are different genetics but i just rarely ever see a mature scrub buck. However I do see a handful of cull bucks that I usually will fill a tag on, so that would be out the window with the one buck rule. If we were to keep the 2 buck rule I would like to see rifle season set up like Kansas has it in mid December. I understand the fact that they are trying to set the gun seasons as close to the rut as possible for better hunter success but IMO this is the cause of people shooting immature deer. Just because ole Billy Bob wants some horns for the front of his jeep he shoots a 1 1/2 year old 6 point, that who knows in 3 years was a very nice 150" trophy for someone who actually puts in the time. Now for kids shooting young deer, I don't have as much as problem because it gets them interested in the sport. My first deer was a 2 1/2 year old 10 point that nowadays I would let walk, but thats what got me started.

This is one from this year. I see several every season that are mature Forks or mature 6's
Attachments
fork.jpg
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:15 pm

This deer scored 117" as a 6. Give you a perspective for size. Same area.
Attachments
Forky1.jpg
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm

and another............. anyways. You get the picture. They are out there. The general area/counties that I hunt carry a decent number of mature Forks and 6's. It's always funny to hear somebody the first time they see a big fork.
Attachments
Forked.jpg
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby takem1010 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:20 am

That's a giant 6 point! I rarely ever see any like that in my areas that I hunt
takem1010
hunter

Postby RedneckRyRy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 am

To stimulate more discussion...

Should we limit kids to one firearm buck? (yes they could still bow hunt but I think we all agree they probably have a better chance of killing bucks with either type of gun, blackpowder or rifle than they do with a bow)

Seems like we are always hearing "Take a kid hunting, they are the future of our sport".

I don't have kids yet, but I have a feeling my kids will be "dink" killing machines until they decide on their own they want to shoot bigger deer. As long as they are happy, I will be happy. Same approach I have with my wife. I don't know, Maybe my kids will only want to shoot a Booner or nothing from the start. But my guess is they will be happy with a dink. I base that on the fact that the size of the smile is not directly proportional to the size of the antlers on pictures I see of kids with the deer they shoot. The smiles are big no matter the size of the antlers.

Just some thoughts to stimulate discussion...
"We put the SPANK on em!"
RedneckRyRy
hunter

Postby RedneckRyRy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am

Oh yeah....I hope whoever killed that six point got it mounted. I would have.
"We put the SPANK on em!"
RedneckRyRy
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:58 am

RedneckRyRy wrote:To stimulate more discussion...

Should we limit kids to one firearm buck? (yes they could still bow hunt but I think we all agree they probably have a better chance of killing bucks with either type of gun, blackpowder or rifle than they do with a bow)

Seems like we are always hearing "Take a kid hunting, they are the future of our sport".

I don't have kids yet, but I have a feeling my kids will be "dink" killing machines until they decide on their own they want to shoot bigger deer. As long as they are happy, I will be happy. Same approach I have with my wife. I don't know, Maybe my kids will only want to shoot a Booner or nothing from the start. But my guess is they will be happy with a dink. I base that on the fact that the size of the smile is not directly proportional to the size of the antlers on pictures I see of kids with the deer they shoot. The smiles are big no matter the size of the antlers.

Just some thoughts to stimulate discussion...

Good point and I can assure you kids want to shoot the first buck they see. My son won a draw for a buck on a controlled hunt a few years ago. We could have waited for "big daddy" or his brother as I know he was there and going to cross where we were set up. But instead my son wanted to shoot the first buck he saw. It was a nice 7 point that was 4 1/2 years old, however he didn't care that if he would have waited he could have easily doubled the age or points. He was thrilled to get some antlers. I was happy for him and glad he didn't wait, just in case.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:30 pm

RedneckRyRy wrote:Oh yeah....I hope whoever killed that six point got it mounted. I would have.

I agree. It would have made a for a great public land deer. :umm:
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Good question. The way the proposal is written up would only allow for a single buck for the youth during all three gun seasons. I fully support the idea of getting kids out there and giving them as much, if not more opprotunity to kill deer than adults have.

I plan for my kids to be some Dink killing machines as well until they feel the need to step it up, if they ever even feel that need.

Speck, I agree. I have yet to see one youth that has held out on that hunt past the first buck they saw. Each one of them carries a pretty big smile coming in with their deer though.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:16 am

My take...

1. This is just the first step toward a 1 buck limit. ODWC, don't beat around the bush and make it a 1 buck limit if that's what they truly want. (I bet OK will be 1 buck state within 5 years).
2. We are a VERY diverse state. Is panhandle,western OK,NE, and SE Oklahoma deer herds ALL the same as far as bucks go? I'm no biologist, but there's no way that's correct.
3. Why do bowhunters still get to harvest 2 bucks? Seems discremetory to me.
4. A little off subject, but not much.... ODWC has LOTS of acres where NO doe harvest, or very little is allowed with firearms, but yet, on private lands we can and are encouraged to harvest 4+ does a year? ODWC needs to manage their own lands like they want us to do our private lands!!!
5. I hope they realize how many hunters won't hunt AT ALL if they shoot a buck during muzzleloader. (Of course if you hunt doe less WMA's you wouldn't be allowed to hunt again), that's alot of missing revenue, gas,food,camping, licenses....
6. Maybe not impose this on youth U-16?? Still allow 2 bucks. It'd be hard a a youth pass a huge 8 during rifle because he shot a descent 6 with muzzleloader.
7. EDUCATION!! Keep preaching to hunters!!! I've seen a huge increase in bigger bucks past several years already! Ain't broke don't fix it theroy here....
8. Anyone realize that 20% of total harvest is does? 50% of that is fawns? So you have to assume 50% is buck fawns? 5% total havest is bucks under 1 year correct? Educate and fix that problem, right there is quite a few bucks!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Gruberguy wrote:My take...
4. A little off subject, but not much.... ODWC has LOTS of acres where NO doe harvest, or very little is allowed with firearms, but yet, on private lands we can and are encouraged to harvest 4+ does a year? ODWC needs to manage their own lands like they want us to do our private lands!!!

Consider the fact that the number of hunters on public ground is far more dense than that on most private ground. Allowing does to be harvested with a rifle on any and all WMA's could and would result in hurting the herd. You could literally thin them out so much that they would not recover annually. It is encouraged on private ground because it is known that some people just don't shoot does.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:53 am

Personally I don't Deer Hunt ... BUT ... having said that I am as a citizen of this wonderful state still interested in seeing done what is BEST FOR THE OVERALL HEALTH and NUMBERS of OUR DEER HERD ... regardless of what part of the state they reside.

I read a lot of feedback on another site and there was a lot said about the source of this new initialtive came from MOSTLY PRIVATE PRESERVE or FENCED types of " operations ". In other words , COMMERCIAL OUTFITTERS and DEER RANCHERS! Reasons stated were that it would allow them to INCREASE THE RATES CHARGED ! It was predicted that in most instances these rates would be DOUBLED.

I will be honest and tell you right here and now that I did not understand the reasoning as to how and WHY this would occur ... but when I noticed that this point was not even mentioned on this site I really got puzzled as both sites apparently have a lot of HARD CORE DEER GUYS on it.

You might be interested in going over there and reading those comments as it may help you form or alter your present opinion.

One argument that made a bit of sense to me was that instead of decreasing the number and " quiality " of Bucks hunters should be allowed to kill more Does as that seems to help increase not only the quality of the herds and Bucks available for any and all interested in WHACK'N HORNS but also the MEAT HUNTERS , especiall on PUBLIC AREAS! They backed up thier arguments from studies and statistics from other States that have adopted programs based on this scenerio and after years of doing so it seems to be working!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:32 am

[quote="fishfurlife"]Consider the fact that the number of hunters on public ground is far more dense than that on most private ground. Allowing does to be harvested with a rifle on any and all WMA's could and would result in hurting the herd. You could literally thin them out so much that they would not recover annually. It is encouraged on private ground because it is known that some people just don't shoot does.
[quote="Gruberguy"]My take...

Not buying it... Consider Camp Gruber and Cherokee GMA/WMA... 60,000 +- acres combined.... 4 days of doe harvest with a firearm TOTAL.... Think of how many small bucks get shot vs. how many wouldn't get taken if you could harvest a doe. Meat hunters don't HAVE the option of shooting a doe on alot of ODWC lands. I agree, don't open them 100% to doe harvest, but maybe weekends only?
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Update:
February 8, 2013

A service of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

Wildlife Commission approves new rules while withdrawing, rejecting and amending others

The Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission met Feb. 5 and voted to approve a slate of hunting and fishing related rule changes to go into effect this year. Some of the Commission's most notable actions at its meeting included unanimously withdrawing a proposal to change the structure of the antlered deer harvest limit, rejecting a proposal to lower the age limit on youth deer and turkey season participation, creating a new fall turkey hunting opportunity for youth and amending a proposal to change rules regarding the transportation of bait.

The actions taken by the Commission come after a wave of feedback received during a public comment period held by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation from Dec. 3 to Jan. 11. The Wildlife Department received thousands of comments on the list of law change proposals up for consideration this year. Officials confirmed that input from the public always plays an important role in the decision-making process, but this year sportsmen were especially vocal on certain issues.

"People in Oklahoma take their hunting and fishing very seriously," said Alan Peoples, chief of wildlife for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. "And they're passionate, and we heard them."

Every year, feedback collected during the official public comment period plays an important role in the process. This year, one proposal was withdrawn that, had it been approved, would have restricted hunters' annual antlered deer limit to one buck during muzzleloader and gun seasons combined. With no changes made to the current rules, hunters will continue to be allowed two bucks as part of their combined season limit that spans archery, muzzleloader and gun seasons.

I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting