Decoying birds

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Decoying birds

Postby Duck-slayers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 am

Having hard time decoying birds late season on river haven't had this problem before. :mad: Any tips? :help: :help:
Work hard,Play hard,Nap hard. That's what I always say Jack
Duck-slayers
hunter

Re: Decoying birds

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 am

Tons of variables go in to play here. For starters: what kinda spread are you running?
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Duck-slayers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am

24 to 36 tight triangle towards the wind so they have a pocket to land in towards the wind with a mojo at the opening but back a little ways. Iv tried just using six decoys or a couple different groups they just fly by circle an look an lock up to come in then take off. Haven't had this problem before in my 12 years of hunting waterfowl :mad:
Duck-slayers
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:41 am

Duck-slayers wrote:24 to 36 tight triangle towards the wind so they have a pocket to land in towards the wind with a mojo at the opening but back a little ways. Iv tried just using six decoys or a couple different groups they just fly by circle an look an lock up to come in then take off. Haven't had this problem before in my 12 years of hunting waterfowl :mad:

First and foremost, pull the mojo. Open your spread up too. What kinda decoys you running? Here lately, our spread has consisted of anywhere from 100-350 blocks. We're running the lakes though. A few more details on your scenario would help.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby noodle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

#1, Consealment!
Gump, GET DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!!
noodle
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am

noodle wrote:#1, Consealment!

:thumbsup:
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby sooner737 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:02 am

Theres a river in OK with water? Ive never hunted a river and youve hunted longer than i have. That bein said, when this happens to me even once i get out and survey my blind. Perhaps youve hunted this area a few times with the same setup and the birds are educated? Maybe fewer is better? Maybe completely change up your calling approach? Hell maybe don't call at all. Maybe just blow a whistle? Maybe im a dumb@$$?
Good luck
sooner737
hunter

Postby soonerdrake » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:48 pm

I agree with pulling the spinner. Add a jerk string or some feeder butt decoys. Use a drake call instead of hen calls or no calls at all except some properly executed feeding chuckle. Put the decoys in smaller groups instead of a big wad with a big open space. I don't think you need a huge spread. Make sure you are well hidden, not showing a lily white face by peeking up at them, and not moving. remove the variables of them picking you out so then you can concentrate on changing your spread. You might also try placing full body field decoys if you have them on a mud bank close to the water. Put them in a little bunch to simulate a lounging batch of ducks. Make sure you are playing the wind right. Make it an easy approach and not ask them to twist down like an acrobat especially if you're seeing big groups. Not that they wouldn't twist down in tight circles, it's just an idea to change the scenario. If your spinner has remote, you could use it to attract them initailly but once they give you a look, turn it off. Perhaps a few in the bunch have figured out "Everytime we land when the wings are spinning, we get shot at." "Every time we see real ducks, no wings are spinning and we don't get shot at." Pulling the spinner is the first thing we do if they seem skittish. Then we increase or decrease the decoys, move them around and double check our hide. We hunt out of established blinds so this is rarely the issue as it's a pretty fair constant. Sometimes, at this point in the season the birds are just decoy shy and call shy. Not much you can do. We haven't had a weather shake up to throw them off their game and the migration has really slowed. We're chasing stale birds right now. For the most part they are fat, warm and wary. There's not alot that can change that. All the dumb birds are already dead.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

soonerdrake wrote:I agree with pulling the spinner. Add a jerk string or some feeder butt decoys. Use a drake call instead of hen calls or no calls at all except some properly executed feeding chuckle. Put the decoys in smaller groups instead of a big wad with a big open space. I don't think you need a huge spread. Make sure you are well hidden, not showing a lily white face by peeking up at them, and not moving. remove the variables of them picking you out so then you can concentrate on changing your spread. You might also try placing full body field decoys if you have them on a mud bank close to the water. Put them in a little bunch to simulate a lounging batch of ducks. Make sure you are playing the wind right. Make it an easy approach and not ask them to twist down like an acrobat especially if you're seeing big groups. Not that they wouldn't twist down in tight circles, it's just an idea to change the scenario. If your spinner has remote, you could use it to attract them initailly but once they give you a look, turn it off. Perhaps a few in the bunch have figured out "Everytime we land when the wings are spinning, we get shot at." "Every time we see real ducks, no wings are spinning and we don't get shot at." Pulling the spinner is the first thing we do if they seem skittish. Then we increase or decrease the decoys, move them around and double check our hide. We hunt out of established blinds so this is rarely the issue as it's a pretty fair constant. Sometimes, at this point in the season the birds are just decoy shy and call shy. Not much you can do. We haven't had a weather shake up to throw them off their game and the migration has really slowed. We're chasing stale birds right now. For the most part they are fat, warm and wary. There's not alot that can change that. All the dumb birds are already dead.

In his scenario, I'd be placing my "walk in spread". I used 8 floaters and 4 full bodies. 6 pro grade wigeon, 2 mallards (drake and hen), and 4 full bodies on a float in the water. Does the trick.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby Duck-slayers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm

We conceal our face with face paint sit up bout 20 yards from the decoys on the bank behind tall grass I didn't wanna build a blind out In the open. Also watched what the birds would go change it up a bit I pulled decoys left 6 with mojo they will still circle close come in to LANd then flair off. Tried to pull mojo an couldn't even get them to come look. Lots of birds flying back an forth
Duck-slayers
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Duck-slayers wrote:We conceal our face with face paint sit up bout 20 yards from the decoys on the bank behind tall grass I didn't wanna build a blind out In the open. Also watched what the birds would go change it up a bit I pulled decoys left 6 with mojo they will still circle close come in to LANd then flair off. Tried to pull mojo an couldn't even get them to come look. Lots of birds flying back an forth

Huh?
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby soonerdrake » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

That does sound quite deadly. What kind of set up do you have for the 4 full bodies on a float? Is that a pain to haul around? I'd like to copy your idea, sounds killer. The only way I have to carry the full bodies around in in the slotted bag so a floating set up sounds pretty intriguing.

I made up four 1/2 inch pvc "extension stakes" to use in the water. They work great for the GHG full bodies I have. I can put them in three feet of water to make it look like the full bodies are wading in very shallow water but I really like your floaty idea.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby Duck-slayers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 pm

I am using red head reality series. I had my decoys stolen last year land decoys floaters 2 mojos geese shells an floaters. Kinda gave up cause I was pretty sick about that but finally went out an stocked back up lol. Yes there are rivers in Oklahoma with water
Duck-slayers
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:23 pm

soonerdrake wrote:That does sound quite deadly. What kind of set up do you have for the 4 full bodies on a float? Is that a pain to haul around? I'd like to copy your idea, sounds killer. The only way I have to carry the full bodies around in in the slotted bag so a floating set up sounds pretty intriguing.

I made up four 1/2 inch pvc "extension stakes" to use in the water. They work great for the GHG full bodies I have. I can put them in three feet of water to make it look like the full bodies are wading in very shallow water but I really like your floaty idea.

You've gotta pm
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby soonerdrake » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Maybe try a confidence decoy like some full body geese or goose floaters? Sounds like a tough situation. maybe put some decoys about 100 yards away, copy the set up you are sittinig in front of. If they land in the far set, they're picking you out. That's a radical step but it beats watching them turn their beaks up at you all day. Ever try to flag the ducks to get them over toward you instead of the spinner? Maybe that would work. It's worth a shot anyway. All you're trying to do is get them to your spread so no flagging after you turn them. It sounds like a classic case of flaring off the spinner. do you have a jerk string you could rig up to give a twist on final? Put your jerk string out, surround it by a few feeder butts and a couple of other floaters in a farly tight group. As they approach, give it some motion and create a "feeding frenzy" Make it appear as if there are some good groceries attracting the crowd with motion. Keep your pull string low profile add some realistic feeding chuckle (low volume sporadic) Not the high volume competition machine gun style. If you are a good caller, try being more direct. People say call at their tail feathers and wing tips. If that doesn't work, let it rip. One thing I've noticed about real hens..they don't listen to the wing tips and tail feathers philosophy. They call on purpose right at them. Don't do this unless you are a confident caller and what you're trying now doesn't work. Bad callers will falre birds doing this every time. But if you have nothing to loose, act like a real hen that wants their attention and be quite obvious about it.
soonerdrake
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

IF your hid good then it's the spread! So, let's assume for now that's it is the spread. Answer this question to yourself ... is this spot where the ducks are come'n to anyways ... is this spot where they want to be? IF you get a yes or a strong MAYBE then try FLYN'N NAKED! Or in other words ... hide out and BUSHWHACK'EM as they make thier approach or preferabley TILL THEY SIT DOWN and then SKILLET SHOOT THIER BUTTS!

On ponds this time of year we find that there is a big difference between when it's EARLY LIGHT and when the light has got to a point where they can SEE BETTER! During the EARLY LIGHT periods they WILL react to the dekes ... you can tell when they start see'n better as they start to flare off further and further away. We just remove the dekes and still get enough to usually finish off or get up against our Daily Six Apiece!

We also set the dekes well away from where it is we want or need the ducks to come in closer at! Sort of use'n the dekes to " Direct or Re Direct Air Traffic. " This time of year they at times won't even work into close or sit down amongst REAL DUCKS!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm

I would reduce the spread, pull the mojo, not call as much, use decoys that stick out more with better color or darker, and bigger can be better for getting their attention. Also spread the spread out and dont make a definate shape, but have a landing zone. Also a jerk rig can work wonders, but make sure you are hidden extremely well when you are jerking it :thumbsup: haha
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 pm

okduckdude wrote:I would reduce the spread, pull the mojo, not call as much, use decoys that stick out more with better color or darker, and bigger can be better for getting their attention. Also spread the spread out and dont make a definate shape, but have a landing zone. Also a jerk rig can work wonders, but make sure you are hidden extremely well when you are jerking it :thumbsup: haha

So if we hunted together who would be the main jerker?
sooner737
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Depends on the situation sooner lol

Also I would add that it matters what ducks your trying to decoy. Gaddies tipically are hard to decoy unless your on the X, Mallards can be hard because they will pick your spread apart and movement and cloudy water helps out alot. Teal are easy to decoy so are spoonies. Pintails can be hard but usually decoys with white on the can help out.

Another point I would like to make is if your running an all mallard spread I would paint some black or turn the into some different color.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Rtyler4616 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Everyone always blames the mojo, it's an easy excuse. Depending on what river you hunt, you better have some kind of spinner to draw them in unless your on the exact sand bar they want to be on because there are a lot of other attractants on the river besides your spread, such as real ducks on sand bars, and it's not as if your section is the only water for them to drink or loaf on as it would be a slough.

Once again it depends what river your hunting because a lot of these suggestions would look out of place on the smaller rivers that can provide great hunting. Things like huge intricate spreads and geese decoys will look unnatural.

I do agree with the mixing of fullodies on the sandbar and shallows with a handful of floaters, because that's what you actually see them doing.

Could just be you just need a little sun to help you hide better or your hunting ducks that have been shot at a few times. I've watched birds circling real ducks in a field over and over before they committed and sometimes they never do. Sometimes they just get a little weary.
"Call em in or Blow em Out"
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Rtyler4616 wrote:Everyone always blames the mojo, it's an easy excuse.

I think there's some truth to it, but I agree it's an easy scapegoat.
If the birds are circling repeatedly before committing on that particular day there's a really good chance the mojo will shoo them off if it is a rotating wing, constant spin, non-intermittent mojo. Now if it's one of the newer, better designs, a remote, or intermittent mojo, that closely imitates wing stretching, that SHOULD be ok but I wouldn't bet on it.
From my experience it just depends on what the birds are doing that particular day more than anything. Mojos will work after opening weekend but they have to be used wisely.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

About the only time I will deploy a mojo is when I'm hunting a lake shore with a big spread. Visibility is key then. I'll deploy 2, 3, or 4 of them if I'm in that scenario. I try to get as visible as possible. That means 3-4 hundred blocks and a crap ton of motion out there.

I guess there is one other time, and that's if birds are repeatedly giving me the finger. If they won't even look, it's mojo time.

On the other hand, I'll be out there pulling em the second I think the birds aren't decoding how they should be. Spinners used to be the TICKET. I mean, birds humping it kind of awesome. Now that you can buy one for $50 at Academy they've gone the opposite direction. Everyone and their brother uses em. Not that they can't be effective, you just have to get creative with em.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby Duck-slayers » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks a lot boys I'll try it all out see what the problem is Thanks again. Hope you all have happy hunting :beer:
Duck-slayers
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Try skipping a hunt one morning and scouting as much of the river as you can access instead. Could be that you're trying to get them to land in an unnatural location or that there is another, more desirable spot on the river nearby.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Which river you hunting. We hunt the South Canadian and they are skiddy. We were finding only a few birds that would decoy in on the river, but we moved to a small oxbow in the button willows just across the sandbar and the ducks would just splash down without hardly circling.
Jerkstring
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting