Decoying birds

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Decoying birds

Postby Duck-slayers » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Jerkstring wrote:Which river you hunting. We hunt the South Canadian and they are skiddy. We were finding only a few birds that would decoy in on the river, but we moved to a small oxbow in the button willows just across the sandbar and the ducks would just splash down without hardly circling.

Arkansas river in sand springs. There flying in thousands so I Figured I'd try it out. They just dot wanna land
Work hard,Play hard,Nap hard. That's what I always say Jack
Duck-slayers
hunter

Postby divebombin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:
Duck-slayers wrote:24 to 36 tight triangle towards the wind so they have a pocket to land in towards the wind with a mojo at the opening but back a little ways. Iv tried just using six decoys or a couple different groups they just fly by circle an look an lock up to come in then take off. Haven't had this problem before in my 12 years of hunting waterfowl :mad:

First and foremost, pull the mojo. Open your spread up too. What kinda decoys you running? Here lately, our spread has consisted of anywhere from 100-350 blocks. We're running the lakes though. A few more details on your scenario would help.

WOW 100-350 dekes. Weve been shooting limits over 15-30 decoys. Its all about bein where the ducks want to be and hiding. You do those 2 things and its all over. K.I.S.S.
divebombin
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm

divebombin wrote:
Duck-slayers wrote:24 to 36 tight triangle towards the wind so they have a pocket to land in towards the wind with a mojo at the opening but back a little ways. Iv tried just using six decoys or a couple different groups they just fly by circle an look an lock up to come in then take off. Haven't had this problem before in my 12 years of hunting waterfowl :mad:

First and foremost, pull the mojo. Open your spread up too. What kinda decoys you running? Here lately, our spread has consisted of anywhere from 100-350 blocks. We're running the lakes though. A few more details on your scenario would help.

WOW 100-350 dekes. Weve been shooting limits over 15-30 decoys. Its all about bein where the ducks want to be and hiding. You do those 2 things and its all over. K.I.S.S.

I've been hunting open lake shores for a little while. 15-30 decoys may do the trick on your farm pond. That may also do the trick if you're in a small slough, but it won't when you're hunting big expanses of lake where visibility is key. Birds won't give you a look if you've got out a tiny spread on the open water. I've killed many birds over a dozen or less, but big spreads are a necessity sometimes.

Go out on the water I hunt and try killing birds over 15 decoys. Tell me how that works out. 100 blocks is on the small side of our normal lake shore spreads. Sunday we ran 5 dozen goose silos, 3 dozen duck and goose shells, a dozen duck floaters, and a dozen goose floaters.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby divebombin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:42 pm

divebombin wrote:

I've been hunting open lake shores for a little while. 15-30 decoys may do the trick on your farm pond. That may also do the trick if you're in a small slough, but it won't when you're hunting big expanses of lake where visibility is key. Birds won't give you a look if you've got out a tiny spread on the open water. I've killed many birds over a dozen or less, but big spreads are a necessity sometimes.

Go out on the water I hunt and try killing birds over 15 decoys. Tell me how that works out. 100 blocks is on the small side of our normal lake shore spreads. Sunday we ran 5 dozen goose silos, 3 dozen duck and goose shells, a dozen duck floaters, and a dozen goose floaters.

I hunt Lake Eufaula. The 9th largest man made lake in the United States.
divebombin
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Cool story. I do too. I hunt main lake shores on Eufala and other lakes and slaughter ducks over big spreads. Are you running live decoys or something?
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:52 pm

You also must've missed the part where I said "go out on the water I hunt"
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby divebombin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:You also must've missed the part where I said "go out on the water I hunt"

You just said you hunt the same lake i do...

And no. I found that the distress cadence of a mallard hen tied to a cinder block flares more birds than it brings in...I win:p
divebombin
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 am

divebombin wrote:
Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:You also must've missed the part where I said "go out on the water I hunt"

You just said you hunt the same lake i do...

And no. I found that the distress cadence of a mallard hen tied to a cinder block flares more birds than it brings in...I win:p

Hunting the same lake and hunting the same water are different. You may hunt a backwater slough, while I hunt open water. Two very, very different things.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby OkieDuckFever » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 am

Back to the original posters topic of decoy help:

We were having alot of the same problems. Seeing ducks flyign high and not getting them to commit. Was getting frustrating.
We pulled the mojo's, and started using late season tactics.
Small spread consists of a few paired up mallard drake/hens, a dozen mallard hens (and a few pintail) mixed with a couple drakes, and 6 goose floaters off to the side. Use the goose floaters and the paired couples as your outside legs and the hens in the middle of your V, U, or J, to pull them in where you want to shoot. If you use a jerk string combo (or mallard machine), hook the hens and a single mallard drake to it. it will make it look like a mallard chasing after the hens. Worked for us.
Last edited by OkieDuckFever on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 am

Anyone who has not used a mallard machine needs one. They're amazing, especially on end-of-the-season birds.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:03 am

Hunted the Arkansas river near Muskogee Saturday....19 decoys.... NEVER CALLED... STARTED hunting at 8:15 (problems).. 2 man limit gads and mallards, mostly gads by 9:20.....

It's ALL about scouting.....

I saw the ducks (200) or so sitting on this bank earlier in the week.. I watched them for 30 minutes or so.. and guess what??? I heard 3-4 LIGHT quacks TOTAL! IMO.... everyone calls TOO much... These ducks were feeding and swimming around, but they wern't making the typical feeding noises or hail calls or comeback calls that 99% of duck hunters use from Canada down to Oklahoma.... I'm pretty sure the ducks get wise to our calling...

So I say SCOUT!!! If you see 2-300 ducks on your lake making TONS of noise, then immitate that... If your seeing 30-40 in groups immitate that, if you seeing ducks in a J, or a U, or a triangle formation, or geese with ducks or whatever, you get the picture...

MOJO.... worthless IMO now..... 15 years ago= priceless!

SCOUT SCOUT SCOUT!! :thumbsup:
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby divebombin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Gruberguy that's too much good info. If everyone hunted smart just think how smart the ducks would be.
divebombin
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:59 am

I know..... I also just don't really get all caught up in the "buying the latest greatest duck calls,decoys, etc". I can call "decently", no expert at all, but ask yourself...... How many times have ducks landed in your spread while you weren't looking? With no calling at all? That's why my 3 ducks calls (All 7+ years old or better work fine for me!!).

I recently went down to the refugee near me.... One spot had thousands of ducks in it..... But if you listened, you'd swear there was only 20-30.

Now.... I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong..... But if you aren't getting near limits, maybe you should try something else.... Maybe hunt where the ducks are, not the convienent spot for you, or the spot you picked out at the beginning of season. Maybe not blow the call until your blue in the face :eek: :eek: ..... Maybe hunt less like the stuff you see on hunting shows (remember, they are trying to sell their products/sponsors MORE than they are actually there to hunt).
Last edited by Gruberguy on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:14 am

You call while moving up or down??
sooner737
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:01 am

post edited...... Thanks for being my grammer teacher!!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby kkelly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:55 am

Gruberguy wrote:I know..... I also just don't really get all caught up in the "buying the latest greatest duck calls,decoys, etc". I can call "decently", no expert at all, but ask yourself...... How many times have ducks landed in your spread while you weren't looking? With no calling at all? That's why my 3 ducks calls (All 7+ years old or better work fine for me!!).

I recently went down to the refugee near me.... One spot had thousands of ducks in it..... But if you listened, you'd swear there was only 20-30.

Now.... I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong..... But if you aren't getting near limits, maybe you should try something else.... Maybe hunt where the ducks are, not the convienent spot for you, or the spot you picked out at the beginning of season. Maybe not blow the call until your blue in the face :eek: :eek: ..... Maybe hunt less like the stuff you see on hunting shows (remember, they are trying to sell their products/sponsors MORE than they are actually there to hunt).

Good stuff Gruberguy. I'm with you on a lot of that. I went out to my river spot last Monday and me tried calling as little as possible and it worked fairly decently. The ducks wanted to about 100 yards down river so we picked up my 6 decoys and move. And low and behold it worked. :grooving:

Then went out to the same spot a few days later and put about 10 decoys and stayed quiet, except for the fact that the buddy of mine I took both days felt like he had to call... A BUNCH :fingerhead: !! I dont know that he necessarily did any harm, but he definitely didn't help the situation.
kkelly
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 am

Gruberguy wrote:post edited...... Thanks for being my grammer teacher!!

Your post was more helpful than mine..made me look bad. Had to get ya back somehow
sooner737
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby takem1010 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Guess I'm different here. I am a firm believer in calling at ducks. Ya it's fun to shoot them when you don't have to call at them but for me it's so much better when you break a group of ducks and fully decoy them. I've spent entirely too much time practicing on a call to not call at them.

I'll 100% agree that scouting is the key. Most of the time I will not set up on the X, just to conserve the ducks and turn what would be 1 hunt into 3 hunts. Don't get me wrong I enjoy shooting a full limit just as much as anyone else, but to me a 15 minute hunt isn't worth gettting up 3 hours before the sunrise, setting decoys, grassing blinds, etc... When I shoot into a flock of ducks, I want to know that I convinced them with my call, decoys, etc... that my set up is what they are looking for.
takem1010
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:41 pm

divebombin wrote:WOW 100-350 dekes. Weve been shooting limits over 15-30 decoys. Its all about bein where the ducks want to be and hiding. You do those 2 things and its all over. K.I.S.S.

Sure, if you're hunting a feeding area. When the lakes are all down like they have been this season, with all the food high and dry, it can be very difficult (perhaps impossible since it may not even exist at the time) to find a spot where something is keeping/drawing the birds there.
If there's no food, it is most likely a loafing area, unless you shoot roosts. When it's a loafing area, there tends to not be nearly as strong of a desire for the birds to go there, which makes them more difficult to work and a lot of the time there is not an "X" within a 50x50 yard, 100x100yd area, etc., unless you have found an isolated slough or area off of the main lake. If you have, kudos to you, but not everyone has access to a spot like this, or like I said before, it simply doesn't exist anywhere in the area hunted.

So before you make assumptions and generalizations, realize that not everyone's situation is the same as yours. It takes some effort and multiple people to run a bigger setup, and no, we don't do it because we're inexperienced, stupid, don't know any better, etc.
Earlier this season we had a flock of a couple hundred Canadas and Specks over the decoys. They were headed north, but turned east straight toward us because of the size of our spread and the amount of goose decoys. Since I've been hunting big water in this state since 2001, I can comfortably say there is no way in hell that would've happened with a spread of 15, 30, or even 60 decoys.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
divebombin wrote:WOW 100-350 dekes. Weve been shooting limits over 15-30 decoys. Its all about bein where the ducks want to be and hiding. You do those 2 things and its all over. K.I.S.S.

Sure, if you're hunting a feeding area. When the lakes are all down like they have been this season, with all the food high and dry, it can be very difficult (perhaps impossible since it may not even exist at the time) to find a spot where something is keeping/drawing the birds there.
If there's no food, it is most likely a loafing area, unless you shoot roosts. When it's a loafing area, there tends to not be nearly as strong of a desire for the birds to go there, which makes them more difficult to work and a lot of the time there is not an "X" within a 50x50 yard, 100x100yd area, etc., unless you have found an isolated slough or area off of the main lake. If you have, kudos to you, but not everyone has access to a spot like this, or like I said before, it simply doesn't exist anywhere in the area hunted.

So before you make assumptions and generalizations, realize that not everyone's situation is the same as yours. It takes some effort and multiple people to run a bigger setup, and no, we don't do it because we're inexperienced, stupid, don't know any better, etc.
Earlier this season we had a flock of a couple hundred Canadas and Specks over the decoys. They were headed north, but turned east straight toward us because of the size of our spread and the amount of goose decoys. Since I've been hunting big water in this state since 2001, I can comfortably say there is no way in hell that would've happened with a spread of 15, 30, or even 60 decoys.

Don't forget all the huge groups of mallards.... Had freakin mallards swarming us while we were trying to work the geese.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby divebombin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:

Don't forget all the huge groups of mallards.... Had freakin mallards swarming us while we were trying to work the geese.

For 12 years... ive got under wear older than that. You keep doin what your doin. And ill keep killin limits with my dozen pro grades. To whoever started this post, scout hard and do the exact opposite of what everyone else is doin and imitate the ducks u scout and don't spook them. It takes at least 2 days to kill ducks one or more to scout and one to hunt.
Attachments
image.jpg
Your right 12 decoys just don't do the job#sarcasm
divebombin
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 pm

divebombin wrote:For 12 years... ive got under wear older than that. You keep doin what your doin. And ill keep killin limits with my dozen pro grades.

:huh: Hopefully they're used as rags and not for wearing. Also a rather odd way to try and enhance your credibility. But I have seen stranger on this website. :lol3:

I don't knock other hunters' techniques. As long as they don't break the law and negatively affect others while they're out there, I couldn't care less about how they do it.
Like I said everyone's situation is different. Last season when the lake was up and food was readily available, your small spread would have worked just as good as a big one. Last season I used a small spread similar to yours and did well. This year the conditions were different, which warranted a larger spread.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby divebombin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Listen jack I killed mucho grande ducks over less than 20 decoys all year, this year, during a drought, on every body of water in east central Oklahoma with the same tiny spread and laughed as I passed the "guy" with the huge spread still hunting when I was headed to the ramp with limits. Spend more time hunting less time on forum.
divebombin
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 pm

divebombin wrote:Listen jack I killed mucho grande ducks over less than 20 decoys all year, this year, during a drought, on every body of water in east central Oklahoma with the same tiny spread and laughed as I passed the "guy" with the huge spread still hunting when I was headed to the ramp with limits. Spend more time hunting less time on forum.

First my name is not jack.
So you killed "very big" ducks over your spread. Is this like the 20lb goose contest?
The place I hunted was not in east central Oklahoma. Therefore you did not hunt where I did. Like I said, where I hunted your spread wouldn't have gotten you limits as much as you claim it did. Now it might have gotten you some "very big" ducks since you are confident that it attracts those, especially if you're talking about herons, cormorants, or pelicans.
Anyway, after November my scouting trips over a 10-15 mile stretch of water would always indicate that the "X" was not in a nice little 100yd x 50yd area, etc., like I have already explained in a previous post. The birds were spread out and it covered a "region" of the lake. I don't know how to explain it any better, other than drawing pictures. Anyway your spread might have gotten you a few shots at best during most mornings, no matter where you set up. And this is a fact because I watched MANY other hunters who had the same type of spread as you, including an ODWC biologist one morning.
I don't understand why you want to prolong this argument because there is no way you have a clue about what you're talking about. I'm sure your methods work good in the areas you hunt.

For your last little remark, I average 0.81 posts per day on here.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting