Feral Hog Hunting

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Feral Hog Hunting

Postby jeff_osu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I am doing a research project with vultures and need some hog carcasses, so I thought I would just hop onto a WMA and shoot some. However, the more I read, the less clear the legislation seems to be. It certainly seems that year-round hog hunting on a WMA is allowed: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunting/hog_faq.htm
If coyote season is open year-round on a WMA, does that mean that hog hunting is open year-round?

Yes, provided that during the firearms deer seasons (muzzleloader, modern gun and special antlerless seasons) you must possess a filled or unfilled deer license for that appropriate season, and you must comply with other regulations that apply to that season (blaze orange requirements, for example).

...but I just wanted to double-check. I guess the Ouachitas are a no-go though. Is my assumption correct? I spoke with a biologist over at Canton WMA and I was under the impression that people were out there actively shooting hogs.

Also, I know with geese there are landowners just begging guys to shoot them off their wheat field, is there a similar situation with feral pigs?
jeff_osu
hunter

Re: Feral Hog Hunting

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes they are open year round. You can only take them on WMA's by means that are in season and legal on that WMA. If a WMA is shotgun/Archery only, then you have to bow hunt or hunt with pellets smaller BBB(I think it is BBB).

You can rifle deer hunt on Canton and rifle hunting Coyotes is legal there as well so you can hunt pigs year round there with a rifle.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:00 pm

Thank you. I am thinking I may try down in Johnston County, but I'll give the local biologist a call.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby LongTom » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Don't go to all of that trouble, just go to walmart late in the evening, the place is crawling with them.
LongTom
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm

LongTom wrote:Don't go to all of that trouble, just go to walmart late in the evening, the place is crawling with them.

Why late in the evening?
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting