Nova owners???

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Nova owners???

Postby Taylmatr » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Just picked up a new nova. Wanted to go back to the good ol days of a pump for a while. Really think it makes me shoot better rather than just rapping 3 off. I've always been a pretty big fan of kicks chokes but was wondering what the factory chokes shot like for you guys. I know I'm gonna have to pattern it for myself but got a few days before I can do so. So I figured I would pick your brains about it to tide me over. Thanks!
Taylmatr
hunter

Re: Nova owners???

Postby okduckdude » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Pick the brains in the shotgunning forum.....

I hunt with a sling shot :thumbsup:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:27 pm

Sell it and buy a P350....
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

On a serious noter, I'd strongly suggest looking at Carlson's. You can buy the 3 pack (IC, M, and Full) for around the price of 1 Kicks choke. I've had great luck with my carlson's. I have em in both my guns in modified, and I can't hit squat with anything else.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:52 pm

I've had one in 20ga since 2003. The factory chokes were thin and didn't seem very good quality....they have been kept indoors all their life and a couple of them are rusting.
A Carlson's extended sporting clays LM stays in it now. Can't really make 40+ yard shots with that, but it being a 20ga and primarily sees use dove and teal hunting, it serves its purpose. Especially on those muddy/rainy teal/dove/early season hunts.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:22 pm

I took a quick few shots tonight posted the results and pics on a sister site. Not sure I will really need a after market for density just more to even the pattern out some. It patterns the best out of all my guns with the factory choke though.
http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/forum/v ... 14&t=21825
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Taylmatr wrote:I took a quick few shots tonight posted the results and pics on a sister site. Not sure I will really need a after market for density just more to even the pattern out some. It patterns the best out of all my guns with the factory choke though.
http://www.goosehuntingchat.com/forum/v ... 14&t=21825

Looks like it's throwing good patterns. I know Benelli changed their choke system on the autoloaders (since I bought my Nova 10 years ago), maybe they have on the Nova too?
Slightly off topic, but in the past I have bad mouthed Remington Sportsman Steel. Was given one box of 12ga 3" 1 3/8oz #2s last Christmas and those shells absolutely whacked some ducks, as long as I was doing my part. I took a few 35-50 yard shots out of that box and it smoked the ones which I was on target.
My Nitro Steels and Feds worked good as usual but I was impressed by the Sportsman Steel. There must have been some improvements made since they came out with it.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I would shoot a lot more of it if I could find a place to buy it by the case that was reasonable like every other brand of shells.
Taylmatr
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am

Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:On a serious noter, I'd strongly suggest looking at Carlson's. You can buy the 3 pack (IC, M, and Full) for around the price of 1 Kicks choke. I've had great luck with my carlson's. I have em in both my guns in modified, and I can't hit squat with anything else.

I second this, I own the same pack and its great!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Taylmatr wrote:I would shoot a lot more of it if I could find a place to buy it by the case that was reasonable like every other brand of shells.

Same. Only places I buy shotshell ammo is Rogers and Glens, whom sell the Federals at a good price. Performance-wise everything else I have shot hasn't made it justifiable to spend more.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Taylmatr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:47 am

Never heard of glens but I use Rogers or dunks sporting goods quite often.
Taylmatr
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting