Vinita area duck hunting

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Vinita area duck hunting

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am

Hi guys, I'm looking at getting in on a year 'round lease outside of Vinita. Sort of Vinita/Afton/Bluejacket vicinity. Does this area hold many ducks? It's about 15 miles from Grand Lake, is that too far from a large body of water to have many ducks flying around? I know it's dependent on lots of variables, but I'm just asking if the conditions are right, should I expect to see ducks.

I'm going to scout it this weekend, so hopefully there will be some birds still hanging around to give me an indication.
petrotk40
hunter

Re: Vinita area duck hunting

Postby okduckdude » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:56 pm

petrotk40 wrote:Hi guys, I'm looking at getting in on a year 'round lease outside of Vinita. Sort of Vinita/Afton/Bluejacket vicinity. Does this area hold many ducks? It's about 15 miles from Grand Lake, is that too far from a large body of water to have many ducks flying around? I know it's dependent on lots of variables, but I'm just asking if the conditions are right, should I expect to see ducks.

I'm going to scout it this weekend, so hopefully there will be some birds still hanging around to give me an indication.

Young grasshopper- The real question you should be asking is "will there be water?"
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

haha oh I know that's a huge key. Yes there will be water and grain crops, so I assume there should be ducks and geese.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Maybe for now...... Still dont know how the spring and summer is going to treat us.....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

ok so theoretically, if there's water there should be ducks in that area? That's all I'm getting at.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:28 am

If you have water and a food source, you should have birds. But like what has been mentioned, if we continue to have drought conditions, you may be hurting. Then again so would a lot of us. Just hope the water sources are big enough for such an event.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 pm

IF I lived up in that area and there was enough water I would launch my hull off the launch under the bridge just outside of I think ... Miami? That would be the Spring River and I'd wear that river out all the way south down to the Hiway and the convergeance of The Spring and The Neosho River at Will Rogers State Park! There is a cut off slough a couple of miles east before the river turns south ... the entrance is in the east side bank. That is one ducky spot or can be ... when there is Mallards down and about! Ain't been down there in several years but we use to do well in several spots ... even in the Tail Waters just off the launch area in the Buck Brush and on down about 5 miles where there is a big cut where the state used to drop Millet in outta thier airplane. Can't recall the name of that cut but it runs all the way east to the hiway that runs on south along the river. Only negative was that at that time there was a ton of Arkies also do'n the same thing and they was none to friendly as they came across act'n like THEY INVENTED THE WHOLE SPORT OF KINGS ! :bow:
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting