Take a Veteran Hunting

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Take a Veteran Hunting

Postby me3401 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am

Is there an organized Take a Veteran Hunting )or fishing) program in Oklahoma?

I would like to say thanks to a veteran or 2 by including them in my hunts next fall and some catfish fishing this summer.

So far I have been unable to find a program here in Oklahoma. I live by Ft Sill. I sent a query to MWR this morning, but ...
me3401
hunter

Re: Take a Veteran Hunting

Postby mojo1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 pm

I know I met a ranch owner one day while in Acdemny sports in Sherman would hosted hunts for veterans, but I kind of misplaced his business card.

I haven't really heard of any other organized hunts but then I only moved back to Ok 5 months ago.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby me3401 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:56 am

I was not wanting an organized hunt. I was wanting to take a vet, who does not have regular access to land, on a hunt this fall/winter.
me3401
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 am

Well my advice would be get in contact with your local area chapter of the VFW, or American Legion, I bet they can hook you up with a deserving vet.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm

There's a lot of'em out there and it ain't that hard to locate one! Each season we take several and we also take at least a couple of " kids " ( ages range from 6 or so to 16 ) ... some with thier Dads that want thier boys to have the experience but don't have a place to take them. Some are in High School and just recently discovered the joys of dabbling in The Sport of Kings! There is also a " movement " to take women folks on a hunt as more and more of them are pick'n up the SmokePoles for other than POINT'N IT AT THIER HUSBANDS!

With all this activity and awareness go'n on it don't seem like there would be any area of the population that we are'nt working to get into the sport. BUT THERE IS! I hear nothing here or most anywhere about THE OLD GUYS/GALS! This would be folks say 65 and over ... esepcially those that are in thier late 70's and even 80's. Many who at one time were very active in whack'n and convserving Ducks but with age they have outlived thier hunt'n buddies or have a litany of phsical conditions that has worked to SLOW THEM DOWN and take away the ability to get into spots that but a few years ago did not serve as an obstacle.

But , with a mimimum of HELP get'n INTO THE SPOT and get'n SET UP to shoot they could still do what they have loved to do all thier lives and not have to CHECK OUT OF The Game until such time as THEY decide they have had enough!

These guys almost have to be sought out as they don't want to be a " Burden " to anyone ... especially family members.

All I'm say'n is ... let's not forget to DANCE A BIT WITH THOSE THAT BRUNG US! Talk about a wealth of knowledge and experience!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 pm

The NWTF National Wild Turkey Federation has a large Network for veterans and wounded warriors you may want to check them out for some information. If the other places do not work out. Its is a great cause!!! :thumbsup: :clapping:
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby medic11 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Check out Freedom Hunters, great organization with representatives all over the US and they ae 100% volunteer operated

www.freedomhunters.org
medic11
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting