? for deer experts

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

? for deer experts

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I was out today looking for some turkey spots and saw two HUGE antlerless deer. Big necks, big bodies, the whole enchilada.

My question is, is February too soon for bucks to shed in Oklahoma? I thought that was in April or so but these does were pretty good size and I figure they were just bucks that lost their furniture.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: ? for deer experts

Postby okduckdude » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Nope

My buddy went out last week and found quite a few sheds actually. I think they typically shed around first part of Feb.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 pm

I've been checking my cameras, they are dropping them now. I'm gonna get out and look around for sheds in a day or two.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 am

Saw a small one with one off and the other wobbling last weekend.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby takem1010 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Haven't been out shed hunting yet but they should be on the ground now.

Already starting to hear a few turkeys, April can't get here fast enough!
takem1010
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm

Hey guys, is there a trick to finding sheds or is it as simple as just walking around looking for them on the ground?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Easttx » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Specklebelly wrote:Hey guys, is there a trick to finding sheds or is it as simple as just walking around looking for them on the ground?

Start in feeding areas or food plots and follow the trails out. Check at fence crossings, creek crossings, anywhere a deer has to jump. South facing hillsides with some cover can be hot spots too. You can also train a retriever to do all the work for you like I did.
Easttx
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Those areas noted are good. Loafing areas are good as well. I can tell you this, when you find an area that there are sheds, I think the odds of going back to that general and finding sheds every year are good.

I have actually fallen in a rut the last few years and just revisit the loafing areas and trails that I have always found sheds on. it is that time, I have a buddy that found several yesterday afternoon.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 am

Good advice! I "typically" find 20-30 each year. Uusally after we do our RX fires, they are easier to spot then!! Best places to look are ANYWHERE that deer frequent... may sound dumb, but it's just kinda common sense!

I've found sheds from Mid December- 2nd week of April that were fresh. Right now, I'd estimate that 30-40% of sheds have dropped here near Muskogee....

We did a good sized burn last week, about 2000 acres... Only found 3 deer and 2 elk sheds. But, this particular area has never produced many deer sheds for me.
Gruberguy
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting