possible changes coming

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

possible changes coming

Postby okbucksnducks » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:20 am

assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Re: possible changes coming

Postby Griffdom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing. I don't see much I would vote against. Now we need to get a law past that would allow Oklahomans to legally blood track a wounded deer with a leashed dog.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am

For years ODWC has had a link on their website (I assume it is still there even after they refurbished their site) titled something like "Legislative Tracker". It listed bills being considered, bills/laws recently passed, etc. Unfortanately, none of it is stuff we can vote on; best one could do is contact and pester state reps. Most things on the list(s) have usually made sense. On this list this year, I particularily like making so called "guides" have to have a license.....that costs money.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Yea, I talked to the guy at the Oklahoma department of wildlife about the possibility of getting it passed and he didn't seem all that keen on the idea. Almost all of the states East of Oklahoma now have passed laws allowing some form of blood tracking with dogs. Most of the states West of us do not yet allow it. The trend is moving towards allowing it, either leashed or unleashed depending on the state. I corresponded a while back with the guy who wrote the book "Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer" about it and have considered pursuing it. He has assisted many people in others states in getting appropriate laws past to allow it.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Griffdom wrote:Thanks for sharing. I don't see much I would vote against. Now we need to get a law past that would allow Oklahomans to legally blood track a wounded deer with a leashed dog.

I can see the need and that is why I use a 30-06. I like them to drop in their tracks and hate tracking wounded animals. The only two wounded ones I have lost were with archery (side note - that is why I stopped using a bow) and with my black powder.

If I were a public land deer guy, this would sure be a way to ruin a hunt. Some guy with a dog tracking a wounded deer.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
Griffdom wrote:Thanks for sharing. I don't see much I would vote against. Now we need to get a law past that would allow Oklahomans to legally blood track a wounded deer with a leashed dog.

I can see the need and that is why I use a 30-06. I like them to drop in their tracks and hate tracking wounded animals. The only two wounded ones I have lost were with archery (side note - that is why I stopped using a bow) and with my black powder.

If I were a public land deer guy, this would sure be a way to ruin a hunt. Some guy with a dog tracking a wounded deer.

You raise a good point about public hunting, but I think we have a responsibility to put forth our best effort to find any game we shoot. Maybe certain WMA's could stipulate that one must wait until after official shooting time before attempting to track a deer. The mentality sure is different here than in Europe regarding harvesting shot game. In Germany for instance one must either own or have access to a trained gundog that has proven its ability to recover wounded game Through the passing of certain hunt tests in order to be granted permission to hunt. This is so that person will have all possible tools available to recover wounded game.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Ely » Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 pm

All the new changes sound ok but being able to noodle blues and channels isn't such a good idea. Some lakes have good blue pop. And starting to get trophys and if enough people started getting a buch that could hurt them. they need to make it that you can keep one over 25 inches and being a cat fisherman I sure dont want a big angry blue or channel gitimg a hold of me their teeth hurt bad enough just holding them good thing we have teamcatfish fish grips.
Ely
hunter

Postby garmater » Wed May 08, 2013 7:41 pm

I recall a similar argument about catfish amd bowfishing in texas hopefully this one will turn out better than that one.
Those areant just any ducks those are dirty ducks.
Dirty Duck Mafia
garmater
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting