Anybody chasing turkeys?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Anybody chasing turkeys?

Postby OKhunter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Let's hear some reports. Went out this morning with my dad and saw a bunch of jakes and hens, but no toms yet. About to head back out for the afternoon.
OKhunter
hunter

Re: Anybody chasing turkeys?

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:19 pm

The wind was crazy this morning which really made it hard. Luckily I did some scouting recently and had a good idea where they might be. I was also surprised by all the hens which is great news for next year.

I don't ever talk numbers but will say that its time to switch counties. :thumbsup:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:21 pm

I am seeing many more hens and jakes this year than I did last year, which is encouraging. I' hoping to change counties next weekend.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:37 pm

I walked right into this mornings roost, they were gobbling all around me. Never got a big bird in reach. That wind really picked up about 0740 and it shut down the hollering.
"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby take'em 21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 am

We had a pretty good weekend. Had some first imers with me and they got to expriecne jakes fighting with the decoys.
Attachments
Upload.jpg
take'em 21
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:22 pm

It's been years since I've seen a turkey
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 am

Only worked a few jakes but they would only gobble then wonder off. They acted like someone may have worked them in before and spooked them. My main spot is in Coal county so have to wait for April 22nd again to hunt there. Did get a limit of ticks though.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:37 am

Haven't had a chance to make it out yet but looks like I need to make some time. Got home from work yesterday morning and this was in my backyard.

Rick
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby lost » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Been trying to get the wife a big ol Tom. She has been wanting one for a few seasons, and I am finally able to get on them. Opener found us with lots of gobbling, but no opportunity.

This evening, I went out solo with the bow, and I got within range, but pulled a few inches to the left and struck a fence post. They kept hanging around, but I couldn't get them in. I finally gave up, and hitting the open ground, I walked up on them again with no chance to get into recurve range. Damned if I don't get lazy and not hunt my way back out. Dang the luck. :rolleyes:
lost
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Went out again this weekend in a different part of the state and I was able to bag a 2 year old Tom. Saw quite a few and I will be headed back this weekend I think. Glad everyone who is getting out is finding some birds.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm

I had tomzilla at 10 yards and couldn't swing my gun thanks to a branch. seeing a lot just haven't been real fortunate in killing one but hens are starting to lay so it will only get better here in south central ok
Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 am

Been able to get out a couple times, only turkey I've seen or heard was that hen in my backyard a few days ago.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby mojo1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

I've hunted every day of the season until today, the long beards just up and disappeared but there are jakes a plenty. I lost count of how many I have called in and let go. I finally stomped one last night. He came in like a laser after I gobbled at him.

"Wildgame it's what's for dinner"
“The best waterfowl conservation tool of all is a well trained retriever.”

"Say what you want about the South, but U never hear of anyone retiring and moving north!"
mojo1
hunter

Postby aTrueOkie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:14 am

Went out opening day and bagged a big ole Tom so that's always fun. I was out drivin the ole back roads yesterday and saw a Tom the size of a small ostrich.. Haha he was huge
aTrueOkie
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Got 3 with my bow in Nebraska early archery season in late March

Then struck out for the first time in 5 years on Okla opening weekend. I was shocked but closest a tom came was about 70 yds.

Then took a young lady who suffers from MS out and she shot her first turkey. Biggest thrill ever. She had a bad relapse of her MS 6 weeks ago and was in the hospital unable to walk for 2 weeks while they gave her high dose steroids.

Then went to Missouri last week and bagged my first ever Eastern. Only Osceola to complete the Slam!!!

Focusing the last two weeks of season on filling those Oklahoma tags!!!

How wild has this weather been? 2 years ago it was 103 in SW Okla on opening weekend. Now in 30's and 40's for lows???!!!!

Good luck to all. I'll be back on in September!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:20 pm

I had a monster about 10 feet from me this afternoon. I couldn't see him good enough for a shot though as he was on the other side of a cedar tree. Needless to say he left and when i was circling back around he busted me and took off flying.

Interesting thing happened though as I did get "attacked" by an armadillo. When the bird was gobbling the armadillo came walking up on me and I put my feet together. He walked up and rammed my feet twice and then started sniffing in the air and ran off into the woods. Strange experience and pretty entertaining.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Called these two in to a Funky Chicken decoy over a hen set up. I shot the bigger one on the left and my brother got the one on the right. Both young birds 8" beards with 1/2 spurs. First time I ever had a double kill on a set up. That decoy even made a hen mad enought to want to fight it. Turkey leg and dumplings for supper tonight.
Attachments
164635_521659664563242_652571411_n[1].jpg
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Bird #2 went down this weekend. This bird is the hardest I have ever had to work for a turkey. I roosted this bird the night before and set up 60 yards from him an 1.5 before shooting light, only to have the hens that were with him take him away right off the roost. After they left I followed the birds for 2 hours trying to get ahead of them and ambush them. I was finally able to call a hen in and the tom followed. I took him while laying on a terrace and the hen 10 yards away. One of my favorite hunts of all time.

A cool picture from Saturday morning.

OKhunter
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Took my grandmother out this Saturday afternoon, and she was able to shoot a jake.

OKhunter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:13 pm

That's awesome. Was your grandma using a 10ga? That thing looks sizeable. :yes:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:That's awesome. Was your grandma using a 10ga? That thing looks sizeable. :yes:

It's only a 12 gauge, but it is still a very large gun. It is bigger than I would want to shoot. She has be shooting that side by side for as long as I can remember. I don't know how many birds she has killed with it. The last bits she shot with it, I shot a nice Tom with my bow and she shot a jake as it ran off.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Way cool. I have seen strutting hens before but never got a chance to take a pic!! Awesome!

I'm sure you know this bit if you'll spin that jake decoy to face you, you can get them in even closer. I set my jake facing me at 10 yds for bow and they always circle to look the jake face to face bringing them to 7-8 yards.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Super Dave 32 wrote:Way cool. I have seen strutting hens before but never got a chance to take a pic!! Awesome!

I'm sure you know this bit if you'll spin that jake decoy to face you, you can get them in even closer. I set my jake facing me at 10 yds for bow and they always circle to look the jake face to face bringing them to 7-8 yards.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

I have it on video, but I need to work on getting it compressed and uploaded somehow. It was a really cool experience. As for the jake decoy I have it facing away because I have a homemade system that lets me spin the decoy from my blind that attaches at the back of the decoy. When I set up with my bow I set the jake 4 steps from the front of my tent with the hen 2 steps past it. It is crazy how focused the birds on the decoys, even though they are so close. I really don't even have to worry about getting drawn. Best money I have ever spent on decoys. Hopefully I'll have some more pictures and/or videos this weekend.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Alright, I finally got the video converted to where I can put it on Youtube. I thought it was pretty neat to have the jake and hen in full strut at the same time.

Enjoy,

OKhunter
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu May 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Great video and thanks for sharing.

Turkeys really are dumb and this proves it. They have great eye sight but nothing between the ears.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting