Hope the periodic rains keep up!

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Hope the periodic rains keep up!

Postby Griffdom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:51 am

I have driven around to see how the ponds and lakes are doing with the rains we have had lately. They are starting to look a little better. Hope it continues throughout the spring and into the summer. If it does, duck season may look a little better than last year. This also depends, of course, on how there breeding grounds are doing up north. How are your ponds and local lakes looking with the precipitation lately?
Griffdom
hunter

Re: Hope the periodic rains keep up!

Postby paint » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am

Looking good around OKC, I've seen some flooded ponds too. Haven't been to my duck holes in SW OK though.
paint
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Leave the ponds and lakes dry. Let them grow up with all kinds of food then get the rain in the fall.
Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:32 pm

LTMFH wrote:Leave the ponds and lakes dry. Let them grow up with all kinds of food then get the rain in the fall.

X2
Although plentiful water + lack of vegetation is better than lack of water + plentiful vegetation.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LongTom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 am

Problem was--last year there wasn't enough rain to grow vegetation or fill the water holes.
LongTom
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Branches and ponds full to the brim near Holdenville but still only half to 2/3 around Ada. South Candian and the Washita are getting some run in it now.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Jerkstring wrote:Branches and ponds full to the brim near Holdenville but still only half to 2/3 around Ada. South Candian and the Washita are getting some run in it now.

Mine is still 2 feet low, NW of Owasso. The soaking rains lately haven't given much runoff.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

Saw a coot walking down the middle of my street (residential , in the middle of Tulsa) far away from any "close" pond, during the rain last weekend???????

Been tellin' my Corps' buddies who work in the water control section to hold onto ALL the water....forget about generating electricity. Would be nice to have some water (and vegetation) around this season for a change.

Though the last two seasons in OK were "below average" because of our drought, even with two consecutive record duck number years..........................the poor conditions did seem to thin out the fair weather hunters making it a little better out there for some of us who hunt public.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Saw a coot walking down the middle of my street (residential , in the middle of Tulsa) far away from any "close" pond, during the rain last weekend???????

Been tellin' my Corps' buddies who work in the water control section to hold onto ALL the water....forget about generating electricity. Would be nice to have some water (and vegetation) around this season for a change.

Though the last two seasons in OK were "below average" because of our drought, even with two consecutive record duck number years..........................the poor conditions did seem to thin out the fair weather hunters making it a little better out there for some of us who hunt public.

There's 2-3 pairs of ducks, one pair of mallard, one pair of ringneck, and maybe something else, that have been nesting near my pond this spring. Usually there will be nothing, or maybe one pair of mallard.

Yeah...I don't get overly excited/put a lot of emphasis on the surveys. If the conditions aren't right here when the season rolls around those numbers are meaningless.

DW, what are you doing on here in April? Usually you remain dormant until dove season approaches. :tongue:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 am

[quote="shoveler_shooter] DW, what are you doing on here in April? Usually you remain dormant until dove season approaches. :tongue:[/quote]

Nothing good for sale on ebay, or the other auction sites I stalk, and/or, if I'm not estate saling at lunch, I may pop in here from time to time.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm

3.8 inches of rain in Norman area during last rain. I am glad to see it. My dad's pond is higher than it has been in 3-4 years.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

A bit more rain tonight :smile: . Got a little hail as well.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 pm

It wasn't too long ago that the entire state was some form of red, indicating an extreme/exceptional drought. Still got a ways to catch up though: http://climate.ok.gov/index.php/climate ... entral_u.s

Fingers crossed it keeps up.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu May 09, 2013 5:52 am

Clouded up real dark , thundered and wind blew . A few sprinkles and we were done in Ada. I'm going down to Texoma for the weekend and it looks bad. About 7' down I believe. Taking the mud boat and leaving the ski boat at home till I find a few of the new stumps and rocks.
Jerkstring
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting