Dogs and hunting

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Dogs and hunting

Postby Griffdom » Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 pm

For those that hunt with a dog, what dog breed do you have and what all do you hunt from most to least?
Griffdom
hunter

Re: Dogs and hunting

Postby okduckdude » Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 am

I have a lab. I mostly hunt ducks/geese followed by bow hunting for big game.

Labs are great water dogs and family dogs. Also they make good watch dogs. Ive had experience with golden retrievers as well and they are just about the same; however, golden's hair typically can get a lot of things tangled in it. Im a lab guy myself. Just love the breed.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 am

I have an American bred lab. I hunt mostly ducks and geese. I do a little dove hunting as well. She's a beast.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 am

I ONLY Hunt DUCKS but I used to do quite a bit of Quail and Pheasant along with that!

I have found that for waterfowl the Lab is the way to go ... not only from a working aspect but also for a the " duel " role of also being a Companion Dog!

There are breeds that are " advertised " as being a " Versitile Breed " ... but ... when we get a really COLD WINTER here the cold is a bit much for put'n quite a few of these breeds ... esepceially when it comes to put'n them in the water. I have hunted with my share of German Short Hairs and Vislas and they are wonderful dogs ... but ... just don't quite come in where the Lab does overall. OPINION ONLY!

Then there is the PURE BIRD DOG BREEDS ... they are born and bred to RUN and LOCATE the birds ... not so much to RETRIEVE or FIND the birds after they been shot! We used to like to run a mixed pack of dogs with the PURE BIRD DOGS locating , pointing and flushing the birds while holding the Labs in close in order to get as good a MARK DOWN as possible and then letting the PURE BIRD DOGS loose to look for more birds while the Labs cleaned up the mess. Hardly lost any birds and that's say'n something! The Labs did figure things out a bit after doing it a bit and got " BIRDY " ... would from time to time actually go on point ... but ... they were just not as good at it as those that were bred for it. I know there are supposed POINTING LABS out there ... I have seen more of them on the T.V. produced contests ... just never actually run acrossed one around herer for real?

RUG DOGS or a.k.a. Golden Retrievers are a whole nuther deal. I have seen some worth thier pay check ... but more not. Seems the Prey Drive has been bred out of the breed in order to make a more " OBEDIENT " PET or SHOW DOG? This is not meant in any way to demean the breed as I LOVE THEM ALL.

IF I were to return to Upland Hunting I would have a dog or dogs for both purposes ... Labs and German Short Hairs for me!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby younggun6632 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:34 pm

I have a pointing lab that I use to hunt waterfowl and upland, sometimes in the same day. He's a wonderful indoor pet and my wife spoils him any chance she gets. I was sold on the versatility of the pointing lab and purchased him from proven pointing bloodlines.

I hunt in order of frequency
1. Ducks
2. Geese
3. Pheasant (both wild and pen raised)
4. Dove (I don't take my dog dove hunting)
5. Quail (both wild and released)
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. - C.S. Lewis
younggun6632
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 pm

CBR

#1 Ducks, with bonus geese. May get into goose hunting more in the future.
#2 Doves
#3 Pheasant/quail. I will probably end up getting around to some pointing work/training sometime this year for my pup.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu May 09, 2013 8:35 pm

I have a yellow lab that is totally useless as a hunting dog. She was gun shy from the start and would panic at even the sound of a .22. She is the smartest dog and the best friend I have though. She protects the wife and grandkids like she owns them so I guess she has a home till she ends her days.
I hunt almost anything legal that walks, flys, climbs, crawls or swims. My favorites are deer in all seasons, ducks, hogs and turkey. Bow shooting carp and gar is a rush and I count that as hunting. I have a soft spot for bear and geese so they won't see much action from me. I would really like to bowhunt gators if given the opprotunity.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks for those who have shared so far....

I have a shorthair now that is about 5 years. old. I have a Griffon on the way, which I should pick up in July. Prior to the past two years, I have hunted more pheasant, quail, and dove than anything. My favorite thing to hunt is pheasant because to me there is nothing more exciting than shooting a rooster over a point, and dove because they can be found close to home. I also hunt deer. Love deer jerky. Oh, and I also shoot rabbits over my dogs points when the chance presents itself. I got into duck hunting with my buddy who has a Boykin. I would have got into it earlier but I love hunting with a dog and I did not have one to do it with since my field bred shorthair did not take to the water like I'd hoped. After hunting with my buddies boykin I decided it was to get a dog to waterfowl hunt with. I did not want to give up the point or search abilities and I wanted a dog that could track a little better than my shorthair. Also, I needed a dog that can hunt pretty cold waters if needed, so I went with one of the wirehaired versatiles. I did a lot of research and several griff owners on another forum use their griffs for waterfowling when it gets down near 0 degree weather. They said that you have to just be a little more careful when it gets that cold. I figured that here in OK if the temp gets that cold most of the water I hunt will be heavily froze over anyway.

I will probably hunt just about anything I can fur and feather with my griff, including small predators (raccoons, possum, etc.). I am pretty excited about the possibility of duck hunting more often with my new pup as there is so much more opportunity for this than upland hunting where I live. This should allow me many more days in the field hunting each season as I will be able to get up at 3:00 A.M., hunt, and be back before the wife and kids barely new I was gone. Wife can't even say much about that.... :wink:
Griffdom
hunter

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Mon May 13, 2013 5:44 am

5 Griffs

What gets hunted in what priority depends on bird populations. The past couple years, more ducks and geese than quail and pheasants. A few years ago, more quail and pheasants than ducks and geese. Around here you need to be flexible...

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:5 Griffs

What gets hunted in what priority depends on bird populations. The past couple years, more ducks and geese than quail and pheasants. A few years ago, more quail and pheasants than ducks and geese. Around here you need to be flexible...

Jay

That's the great thing about having a versatile...It allows for more flexibility.
Griffdom
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting