Fishing

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Fishing

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu May 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Anyone had success this year so far?
I guess I completely missed the sand bass run, was able to get out a few times but never the right time.
I have been going after the crappie lately, have heard there's been a late evening bite going on at the lake I fish. I may get out there tomorrow evening and see what I can do. Today I deployed a few brushpiles in 18-22 feet of water, for when the weather get hotter. I will be checking them a couple weeks from now to see if they've attracted anything.
Lots of people fishing, doesn't look like there's much catching going on though.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: Fishing

Postby Jerkstring » Thu May 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Depending on the cold fronts we started catching slab crappie next to stumps in 12" to 18" of water in early April . This was in a slough off the Washita river east of Tishomingo. They have moved out of the shallow stuff into 3' to 6' of water on brush near rocky banks. We have caught several 4 to 10 lb channel cats off the same structure fishing for crappie and if you hang one on a 9' crappie rod with 6 lb line it's a tussle. I'm taking the mud rig to the mouth of the Washita on Lake Texoma for some jug lining and rod fishing for cats this weekend.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Thu May 09, 2013 9:02 pm

I've finally started getting into some decent crappie fishing on oologah but its been short and just before dark
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Fished all weekend last weekend . Caught crappie and channel cats. Fished a flat in te upper end of a creek on Texoma and it was covered with Mallards and widgeons. Next season I might have to try it out. Accidental scouting.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby me3401 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:25 am

Until this week, I've been slaying the sandbass on Lake Lawtonka starting about 1 hour before (10 - 15 fish per hour). I've been catching a few crappie on Lake Ellsworth, but last night the sandbass ran them out. I caught 4 crappie and a dozen sandbass.
me3401
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:27 am

My crappie moved out deep but we are catching sandbass and stripers on slabs and jigs. The catfish were hitting good on punch bait till last weekend but Texoma rose a couple of feet and the spawn is on so just have to relocated them . Did catch a 11# channel on rod and reel one afternoon.
Attachments
11# Channel Cat from Texoma.jpg
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby me3401 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 am

Went striper fishing on Texoma last Friday. We got 4 limits in 2 1/2 hours. Travis Barker is a great guide.
me3401
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:03 pm

A good guide is the cheapest way to go fishing on Texoma if you only go a couple of times a year. They put you on fish, clean the fish, catch the bait, furnish the tackle and run the boat. Usually runs $125 for a half day which is cheap compared to hauling your own boat and running it.
Jerkstring
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting