New to OK

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New to OK

Postby cargodoyle » Sun May 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I moved down here from WA about 4 months ago(Active Duty AF). I really love your country, and I look forward to hunting and fishing here the next several years....or more. I'm an avid waterfowler, but I also love to hunt Turkey and Deer. Just wanted to introduce myself, and say hello. I've already been on a couple duck and goose hunts at the end of the season, as well as a heck of a turkey season. I'm into filming hunts, so I put together a little film about our spring season in SW OK. I hope you enjoy it!
Watch in HD and turn up the volume.

https://vimeo.com/65829790
Quartz Mountain DU Co-Chairmen
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
“Above all else, cherish that most solemn pride which must be yours to be willing to lay so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.”
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Re: New to OK

Postby Erie » Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Stop asking for spots. Drive around like everyone else. :biggrin:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Erie wrote:Stop asking for spots. Drive around like everyone else. :biggrin:

People often ask for spots to hunt so some of the members can be a bit sensitive. Anyway, welcome to the board and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your time here in Oklahoma. Do you hunt with a dog or alone?
Last edited by Griffdom on Sun May 12, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Sun May 12, 2013 9:23 pm

Ill be nice since no on asked for anything lol

:welcome:

Your in some great country
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby cargodoyle » Sun May 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Griffdom wrote:

People often ask for spots to hunt so some of the members can be a bit sensitive. Anyway, welcome to the board and I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your time here in Oklahoma. Do you hunt with a dog or alone?

Thanks!
Yeah, I know that guy "Erie". He stalks me...lol

I hunt with my yellow lab "Henry". I won't hunt without a dog, unless in a field.
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
“Above all else, cherish that most solemn pride which must be yours to be willing to lay so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.”
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Postby Erie » Sun May 12, 2013 10:08 pm

cargodoyle wrote:
Griffdom wrote:

Yeah, I know that guy "Erie". He stalks me...lol

You only claim me because you want the plat books. :no:
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Good to hear from someone down in Short Grass Country ... even if they are a YANKEE! :lol:

As a kid we used to shoot ducks off of small stock ponds just north of the Air Base ... is the small piece of water still there on the south side of the Main Entrance to the base on the west side of the road? Shot lots of Mallards off of that spot as they were laze'n about on it after come'n off the small City Lake just west of it.

Them days we could shoot the Cit of Altus Water Treatment Plants " Settling Ponds " ... RED HEADS and BANG'N CANS ... as the Divers were there THICK... we'd come up over the top and cut loose ... half would take off and half would dive... we'd shoot a mess ... reload and pick'em off as they came up from dive'n ... GREAT SPORT!

There were some spots at the foot of the mountains just east of the old Lugert Grainery and the Church of Christ Youth Camp... bet they are still there? We also had a section of Mesquite and scrub grass west of the Hiway at the end of the pavement that came down over the top of the Big Red Mesa out of Mangum! KILT LOTS OF DUCKS off'n dem spots on that ground. That and the Jack Rabbits actually RAN IN HERDS ... talk about GOOD TIMES!

All kidding aside ... that was about 50 years ago ... but it seems just like yesterday! Don't hear from too many folks down that way shoot'n ducks much anymore ... hope to hear from you during the season as nothing is better than plent of PICS and a STORY that goes along with each hunt.

I would invite you to visit my Web Site .... www.UrbanDuckMan.Com ... or my Facebook " thing " ... www.Facebook/UrbanDuckman ... so you can get a flavor of what we're still do'n as Bona Fide Old Farts here in the South Central part of the state and even beyond. Got about 90 Vid's posted up on YouTube ... just put in " urbanduckman " in the search field and check'em out if you have an inkling to do so!

In fact , we got a Cabin down on our own Watershed that's used for Out Of Town Company ... those that come in from all over the U.S. to come back home and chase ducks. Would love to have you come over and get a taste of how we do things! Of course with some guys get'n close to 80 we only HUNT EASY STUFF! We also love to film our hunts and of course COOK STUFF after we're done hunt'n for the day!

EAT ... SLEEP ... SHOOT DUCKS ... it's a helluva lifestyle and you gotta PACE YOURSELF or it'll put you down for the count!

Come see us! We're but two hours due east of you!

Matmoras Muco Patos AquI!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby cargodoyle » Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks urbanduckman! Really good to have such nice people around. I'm not to sure on all those spots. I got here at the end of the season, and still have lots of scouting to do. Thanks again for the invite, we will have to get together when the season starts!
Eternal Outdoor Films
Zink Calls Z-Unit
– Abraham Lincoln 1863
cargodoyle
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 am

welcome to Oklahoma. You are located in a nice underrated area for waterfowl hunting, IF we can get some rain down there. Hunting was harder down there with alot of the good farm ponds dried up last season. So far the spring hasn't brought enough of the needed rain to bring the water levels up. Still holding out hope for some good May storms, that will stay around awhile and replenish the water. Loved the turkey video and hope to see more this coming duck season.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Wed May 15, 2013 12:39 pm

I was wonder'n if you guys hunted out on Lugert Lake ... maybe over on the east side ... many many years ago we used to tear them up... course the water was more than likely to far down to allow it ? Just wondering?

When the water is up ... a couple miles north of the bridge there is an area where there is a big cut off slough that fills up with water. As kids we used to take Grandpa's old double barrel STevens up there and lay in wait for Early Morning Mallards. Did'nt even know what they was called as GrandMa simply told us ... " you boys go up to that Old Slough and stand in the grass and shoot me some of them ducks ... the one's with the Green Heads !" . And that's what we called'em them for years till a " real duck hunter " laid the name MALLARD out for us to use!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby Erie » Wed May 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Neither places have not had water for years.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting