Hackberry flats

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Hackberry flats

Postby dskinne » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I was thinking about taking a hunting trip to oklahoma in December. I'm not planning on bring a boat so I was looking for somewhere I could walkin. Does anybody know anything about how the hunting is on hackberry flats. If so what is the best time of season to go and what should I expect?
dskinne
hunter

Re: Hackberry flats

Postby LTMFH » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 am

Last season hackberry had NO water. When it does have water it is great. The water tends to be shallow. Below freezing temps and you have solid ice. The mud is the stickiest you have ever seen.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Serious question here. When WAS the last season Hackberry has had decent water. I've never hunted it, aside from opening day dove a few times when I was on a job in the area. Probably never will as it's too far to drive for me.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Go east young man go east.

Hackberry hasn't had water in YEARS as stated. Right now all of western oklahoma is in a MAJOR drought. I would go east if I were you.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby dskinne » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:17 pm

Well if you don't recommend hackberry where do you think would be the best place?
dskinne
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:43 pm

www.wildlifedepartment.com has all the public places listed. good luck. :thumbsup:
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby dskinne » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:00 pm

I've been looking at that for the past week. That's where I got hackberry flats from. Is there a region I should focuse on like southeast, northeast?
dskinne
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:18 pm

dskinne wrote:I've been looking at that for the past week. That's where I got hackberry flats from. Is there a region I should focuse on like southeast, northeast?

Never been there but I want you to know that a lake close to there (Altus-Luggert) was 27 feet low in April. I didn't even know that lake was that deep in the first place. Not sure if it still is, but you need to know that before you come out here for a hunt. I have no doubt that Hack is completely dry and if we do get rain should be pretty good, however we have not had rain out west for over two seasons now. The first 10 inches of precip will just soak in the ground.

Just being honest too, no one is going to tell you specifically where to go. What I would suggest is you call the biologist over that area and they will give you some pointers. Good luck if you decide to come.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Ill tell you specifically where to go!!!

Canada.....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm

The Western half of the state is still in a terrible drought ... the eastern portion of the state is much better off!

I would keep an eye on Ft. Cobb Lake ... it is down ... but ... IF it comes up a few feet it should have what you are looking for .... especially in the later half of December!

Kaw Lake is in " decent " condition as far as water is concerned and is something to look over.... Thunderbird Lake is one that has several larger Public Areas that are conducive to walking in on. Other than that right now there is nothing that I would suggest!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby okdave » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 pm

dskinne wrote:Well if you don't recommend hackberry where do you think would be the best place?

oologah lake, that is where you should go
okdave
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:11 pm

okdave wrote:
dskinne wrote:Well if you don't recommend hackberry where do you think would be the best place?

oologah lake, that is where you should go

Yeah Redbud Bay is a very ducky area
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Erie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Western OK needs 30" of rain over 60 days just even get close to what it "should" be. The water table is so low that even it that area were to get 10" in a short amount of time it would still yield very little run off. Go east
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:10 am

Hackberry hasn't been full since 2009 I believe. That was the last time that part of the state received average rainfall. I was out there a month or so ago and the only water in the entire WMA was in the reservoir. Even then, it was just puddles. They got 2 or 3 inches of rain since then, but it just went straight into the ground. It's going to take 10 inches or so to even start making a dent.
jeff_osu
hunter

Postby me3401 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Dskinne

I've hunted Hackberry lots of times. This WMA is managed for dove, ducks, and geese.

For the most part this WMA is flat (hence the name) agricultural land that is now managed for the birds.

The SW portion is closed (around 15 Oct thru Jan I think) so that the area is a refuge as opposed to a WMA.

In the NW there is a large shallow lake (well is has almost been dry the last 2 years) When there is water, there is a good population of birds. But the area is heavily utilized when there is water.

If you are into dove hunting, the first week is usually very good on this WMA. But, because of the number of birds, there are a tremendous number of hunters (I was hunting on a 20 acre field and there must have been 50 hunter surrounding it). By the end of the first week, the dove are basically gone from Hackberry because of the hunting pressure. The WMA has many fields that are planted in wheat, millet, sunflowers and milo. About 2 weeks prior to season start they mow some of the fields. So you really have to scout to find the good fields (and contend with a large number of hunters). There are a few ponds on the property that make for a good dove shoot at mid morning and late evening.

I hope that helps some.
me3401
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Serious question here. When WAS the last season Hackberry has had decent water. I've never hunted it, aside from opening day dove a few times when I was on a job in the area. Probably never will as it's too far to drive for me.

The same year we had the Snowpocalypse that shut down the entire state. The same year I went out there during said storm and got stuck for 8 hours...

But seriously, that year was great. I limited everytime I went. But it does get pressure
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:32 pm

Not to give you the wrong impression, but everything said about Hackberry is correct. I would like to elaborate a bit
The area is divided up into units. Depending on water, the flood different units each year. Rotating so that invertebrate and seed are available for food. They usually disc the ground but not always before flooding units
Some they just brush hog. The mud you encounter is the absolute worst. Let me emphasize this, it will wear you out quickly. I consider myself to be in decent shape for 50 yrs. old and it damn near gave me a heart attack 3 yrs. Ago during teal season

The crowds are there when the birds are there. Do your homework and scout it. Have a plan A,B, and C just in case someone beat you to where you want to be.

GET LOW.....as said earlier, this is agricultural land and it is flat with little cover
No trees. The birds figure out real quick to avoid any dikes, structures and tall vegetation.

With that being said, it can be phenomenal when there is plenty of water. But be prepared to do some work if you want consistent success there.
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
LADY: "That's not a coot, it's a duck!"
BARTENDER: "I was talking to the duck!"
okduckhntr
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting