New Waders

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New Waders

Postby cole1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:58 pm

I know everyone has their opinions on the best waders to buy... Please tell me what brand, thickness, and gram is your favorite for staying warm and dry?
cole1
hunter

Re: New Waders

Postby sooner737 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Lacrosse. Hands down. No contest. Get 1000 gram and you can just wear your man-kini under them.
sooner737
hunter

Postby tealtime » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Not sure what your budget is or what you are looking to spend. Last year, I got the Rogers Toughman waders and could not be more pleased with them. I got the 3.5 mm, only b/c I have a set of 5mm, that frankly I rarely wear. I wore those Rogers on virtually every hunt. I am a public, walk in guy, so they got pounded last season and held up great. Not sure what the price is this year but last year I paid, I think, $135. I highly recommend them. Good luck.
tealtime
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Cabela's has a lifetime warranty on theirs. I really like them. Mine randomly sprung a leak, and they replaced them with no questions asked.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby tealtime » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:59 pm

Sorry, I spent about $120 on them if memory serves me right.
tealtime
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:23 pm

I always wait until Roger's puts a sale on theirs, usually $130-$160 for Lacrosse or Columbia or Roger's Toughman 5mm 1600 gram.

This year during teal and the early season I will be trying these breathables I got from Rogers, they are Frogg Toggs, $120-$130, can't remember the exact price. I was thinking about ordering size 11 since I will only have 1 layer of socks under them, but these are sized a little smaller than my 5mm ones so 12 fits me like a glove.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:20 pm

I had 5mm lacrosse brush tuff with 1600 gram boots for my first couple seasons. They were great! but i found myself sweating more times than not. they were wonderfull when it got cold cold but they are alittle too much for the first half of the season. i switched to 3.5mm this last year and couldnt have been happier. i got another pair of lacrosse in 800 gram. was great in the first part of the season and then all i had to do was layer up for when its cold.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 am

I will never own another pair of Lacrosse again. Sure they are warm but they are not built like they used to be!

I own a pair of mack's 5mm uninsulated now. They are great and fit me well. Although because they are uninsulated I have to layer up in colder weather but that isn't a bad thing!

My next pair will be from cabelas or rogers. Simply because cabelas I can return for a new pair when I wear them out (so I hear) and rogers look good for the price.

3.5mm insulated would be ok. Unless you tend to get cold then go with more neoprene. Also don't overlook breathables! But that is for the normal duck season. During teal season I normally have gone in my camo bathing suit with water shoes. That was after using my regular season waders and having to pull them down for years. This year I think I will invest in some hip boots.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:19 am

When the temps are in the teens/below and the winds blowing out of the north, you're gonna want as much insulation in the boot as you can get, plus more than one layer of good socks....I don't care who you are. :yes:

Last season a friend of mine tried breathables for teal and the first 2/3 of the season, then 5mm 1600s for the rest, and that system worked out pretty well. I will be doing the same this season.
During a season where the weather is more normal, you'll only be wearing the warm weather waders during teal and November.

For our climate the best solution seems to be buying 2 pairs of waders.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:08 pm

For me it doesn't matter. No matter what I buy, I never get more than two seasons out of them, usually one. I will second that I don't want LaCrosse anymore as they held up not as well as other brands. Plus, a huntin' buddy had a top of the line, most expensive style Lacrosses that leaked right out of the box. Can't remember if he returned them once or twice, but I know the second, replacement pair leaked after a trip or two.

I too like to have both 3.5's and 5mm on hand. Usualy wear 3.5s most ofthe season, but I hunt a LOT standing in a foot or so of water for hours on end; the thicker more insulated waders are handy then.

For guys who hunt from land and/or boats and only get in the water to mess with dekes, I don't think they would need 3.5s as much.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm down with Duck Whisperer!

I buy two " types ". One set of 3.5 mm and one set of 5 mm. The 3.5 for early warmer periods of the season and the 5's for the latter portion of the year. I try and wear the 3.5's as long into the season as I can as there is nothing better than BEING ACCLIMATED (sp?) to the cold.

One to seasons is all that you can really expect out of a set of waders .... especially if you make say 50 to90 hunts a season ! There are some brands that are way more expensive that MAY last longer than that but even with them that's still a BIG CRAP SHOOT! I have more trouble tearing a set of waders up from stick ups and beaver " stobs " hidden in grass than say having them come apart at the seams. IF they hold out of the box right from the jump you have a shot at them making it the whole season.

Of course I need the " Big Man " style and Academy don't really carry them nor does Bass Pro or the like. BP used to carry the Red Head Big Man 3.5's that I loved and I bought them for just over a hundred bucks in order to GET ONE SEASON OUT OF THEM. They no longer stock them at the store and now must be ordered out of catalog or web site.

Used to travel about and hunt more differing areas and this was much harder on waders than what being an Old Fart relegates me to now. Now we don't hunt anything that takes much EFFORT or WORK and that means there really is'nt much around them that can RIP ON WADERS ! We also use String Lines to get the Dekes out and back in and doing so we DO NOT WADE MUCH ANYMORE. So I make it with ONE PAIR OF 5mms stricly for the VERY COLD DAYS or days when we need COMPLETE PROTECTION from WET STUF FALLING OUT OF DA SKY!

IF you hunt weeks ends only at pretty much the same spot that will tell you what you need more than anything anyone can pass on. A pair of hundred fifty dollar 3.5's would more than likely last and do you a good job if that's your thing... BUT ... if you are what I wold term HARD CORE ... you need IMO more than one pair of differing thicknesses and go in not expecting to get a pair that is gong to LAST YEARS and YEARS if " properly maintained " and stored! I would NEVER get caught with ONLY ONE PARI OF WADERS no matter the situation!

Rambling about ... just hopes it helps!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Last year I was waiting on Rogers to get their new waders in to replace my old ones but they had supply problems and weren't able to get them in until Mid-November. So I went with the Mack Prairie Wing Dura Hyde 5mm instead. 1200 gram thinsulated boot. Kept me so warm that I didn't even wear a coat for most of the season. I am rough on waders and hunted some very rough terrain, no leaks. Friend bought a new pair of LaCrosse Super Tuff's at the same time and hunted the same places with me... his started leaking on our 3rd trip out.

BTW, Mack's has their Dura Hyde's on sale right now. I am about to order a pair for my son. Once again, I was going to order him a pair of the Rogers to try out, but they have not restocked from last year and are still out of most sizes.

Although we had a very mild season last year and the 5mm insulated were actually over kill, if you only have 1 pair of waders, make it the 5mm. Rather be toasty than freezing.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby tealtime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Okie Duck Fever, thanks for reminding me. I remember having issues getting those Rogers waders in. I think I actually pre-ordered (September) and when they had supply issues, they asked the manufacturer to send 100 pair ASAP and I got lucky and got one of those. Otherwise, I would have been in the same boat with you - waiting until November. But Rogers did a good job of getting me a pair, despite their supply issues. These are good waders - good price and tough. Other thing I like, they have a fleece pocket on the inside of the chest bib. Still have the exterior chest pocket with shell loops but that fleece pocket inside is money. Seems like not such a big deal but really makes a nice difference. Like most of you guys I wear 3.5s most of the season but have a set of 5mm for when it gets really cold and/or I am hunting in knee high water, waiting on the ducks with my buddy, Duck Whisperer! :biggrin:
tealtime
hunter

Postby Erie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:59 pm

I will never ever ever buy anything ever again that isn't cabelas brand and breathable. There warranty is UNMATCHED and the breathables are incredibly mobile and super warm when worn with a pair of wader pants or just mountain kakis. Do yourself a favor and buy a pair and never look back.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:54 am

I have had good luck with my Redhead zip up waders. 5mm and 1,200 gram boots. 3 seasons in and no leaks, tears, or zipper malfunctions. I hunt lakes, ponds, marshes, flooded timber. Last season I was pretty rough on them and they held up great. I'd rather sweat during the early season and stay warm later in the season.

I would avoid the cheap 3mm Redheads at Bass Pro. Went through 3 pairs in one season. :no:
coach_1
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 pm

tealtime wrote:...........I am hunting in knee high water, waiting on the ducks with my buddy, Duck Whisperer! :biggrin:

Suuuuuuuure....now that season is approaching, you're trying to butter me up :lol3:

Few more waders thoughts/tips.

Kinda like coach_1 and his BassPro experience, I went through 3 pair of Hodgeman (Acadamy) waders one season; HATE hodgemans. Never had too much an issue with BP. I agree with UDM on the thought that if you seem to rip/abuse waders and only get a year out of 'em no matter what brand, stay cheap(er).

I really liked the looks and design of the waders tealtime discusses above. They had a fair price. I just HATE ordering something I can't try on. Really wish we had a Cabela's close by as I have nothing but greatness about their return policy.

One more input on owning multiple waders......If you are one of us who hunts a lot, better own more than one pair. Come mid-season, if you FUBAR a pair of waders, you may not be able to just run down to BP or Acadamy and pick up another pair. No way I'll chance missing days of hunting waiting for waders to arrive in the mail.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Those 3.5 mm's at BP can be taken back and they will accept them ...NO QUESTIONS ASKED ... " ... go get another pair ... " and that's it. I don't LIE about tears , etc. that are MY FAULT and I KNOW IT. Like the time I ripped a boot on a Beaver stob ... I took the waders to the Customer Service Counter at BP ... laid them on the counter and pointed out the tear. Hell, IF they would have asked me questions about it I would not have been able to pick up a new pair and walk out. BUT ... NO QUESTIONS WERE ASKED as the kid behind the counter simply asked me what I wanted to do I advised a new pair off the rack would take care of it and that's what he indicated for me to do. Now ... I still worry that IF I get as far as the Pearly Gates that's one thing that's gonna show up on the " LIST OF THINGS I SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE " and then will get asked some very pointed questoins refarding the circumstances. Guess I'll worry about that one when and if it comes up!

Point is... having a local BP that carries a cheaper 3.5 mm wader for early hot weather use ... one that has a ONE YEAR WARRANTY on them ... and a pretty much NO QUESTIONS ASKED RETURN POLICY ... a JUST GO GET A NEW PAIR OFF THE RACK is pretty hard to beat. No way I could have ordered a pair off the net and not been without waders for who knows how long. I also have got into those deals where they run my card and when they ain't got to me in two weeks I call and get ... OH THOSE ARE BACK ORDERED ( I ASKED THAT QUESTION WHEN I ORDERED THE DAMN THINGS and was assured that they had " plenty " in stock ) ... or ... they send the WRONG SIZE .... etc. .... anyways you get the idea.

There has been a rumor out and about for better than a year or so that indeed a Cabela's is coming and will be located in South Moore . Seems it was going to be in Norman but they got into some sort of hassle over which city was " offering " more " incentives " to move in and build a store!

I did order a pair of 5mms " BIG MAN " waders ... you know the one's with the " side panels " ... the one's for OLD FAT GUYS ... and they seem to be well made and will take lots of use and abuse... BUT ... they make me LOOK FATTER than I am. Guys have a sense of STYLE when it comes to waders. I don't know how many guys I watch put thiers on in front of a full length mirror and ask , " DO YOU THING THESE MAKE MY BUTT LOOK BIGGER?" Deja vu ... as to this day the wife asks the same thing when she dresses up to go out on the town! HELL YEAH ... dem things make your ass look BIG AND FAT!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:39 pm

UrbanDuckMan wrote:There has been a rumor out and about for better than a year or so that indeed a Cabela's is coming and will be located in South Moore . Seems it was going to be in Norman but they got into some sort of hassle over which city was " offering " more " incentives " to move in and build a store! I've heard that rumor for years except it involved the cities of Owasso and Glennpool in addition to Moore. Just have to wait and see.

Guys have a sense of STYLE when it comes to waders. I don't know how many guys I watch put thiers on in front of a full length mirror and ask , " DO YOU THING THESE MAKE MY BUTT LOOK BIGGER?" Deja vu ... as to this day the wife asks the same thing when she dresses up to go out on the town! HELL YEAH ... dem things make your ass look BIG AND FAT! :lol: that's great
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:27 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
UrbanDuckMan wrote:There has been a rumor out and about for better than a year or so that indeed a Cabela's is coming and will be located in South Moore . Seems it was going to be in Norman but they got into some sort of hassle over which city was " offering " more " incentives " to move in and build a store! I've heard that rumor for years except it involved the cities of Owasso and Glennpool in addition to Moore. Just have to wait and see.

Guys have a sense of STYLE when it comes to waders. I don't know how many guys I watch put thiers on in front of a full length mirror and ask , " DO YOU THING THESE MAKE MY BUTT LOOK BIGGER?" Deja vu ... as to this day the wife asks the same thing when she dresses up to go out on the town! HELL YEAH ... dem things make your ass look BIG AND FAT! :lol: that's great

I for one do not want cabelas in our state. Once they are on our soil we will have to pay sales tax on Internet orders.

No thanks since I buy 95% of my hunting stuff online.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

I for one do not want cabelas in our state. Once they are on our soil we will have to pay sales tax on Internet orders.

If Obummer gets more of his agenda through, we're gonna have to start paying it anyway.... :mad:

But I like ordering stuff online, especially during the offseason. It's fun to get new toys, then test them all out when the season starts again.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

Actually you're supposed to pay a use tax on items like that that are ordered out of state but have no tax on it. It's done on your state income tax form.

Cabela's lets you know that on the invoice for your order.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:42 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

If Obummer gets more of his agenda through, we're gonna have to start paying it anyway.... :mad:

But I like ordering stuff online, especially during the offseason. It's fun to get new toys, then test them all out when the season starts again.

OK already has that in place, calling it the use tax on the state income form.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:54 pm

It's not enforceable though and only like 2% actually file it.
But it could become enforceable pretty soon.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:55 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

Oh, I do that. I am just concerned about everyone else. :biggrin:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:

Oh, I do that. I am just concerned about everyone else. :biggrin:

Sure.... :yes:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting