Doves

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Doves

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Anyone been scouting? I have been seeing more, but haven't looked very hard yet.
Fields seem to be in good shape.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: Doves

Postby sooner737 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Gonna rededicate myself to dove hunting this year. Got my 1st pup im excited about. Hopefully he'll learn alot before teal and duck season.
sooner737
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 pm

I see hundreds everyday. They are all over downtown.
JMichigan
hunter

Postby ok_ark_ducknut » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:42 pm

I've been noticing A LOT of those tasty little rascals lately! I CAN'T WAIT!!! I have bacon and jalapenos waitin!!! :beer: :beer: :grooving: :grooving:
ok_ark_ducknut
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:21 pm

I don't know if I will have time this year.... Ill be too busy scouting for teal. :grooving:

I need to though, so my dog can get on some live birds..... I say I won't but I most likely will :yes:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 am

Going out Sunday to look for doves and maybe some teal, hopefully the fields I hunt are holding birds. I haven't been able to get into any birds the past 4 years and I won't pay to hunt either.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Stopped in to pick up my dove lease ticket, and they couldn't even tell me if they were gonna do it this year??????????????????? Lady told me to stop back in Monday when her husband was in; maybe he'd know.I think they've been having this lease for at least thye last 20m years or so.

While I agree with the previous forum member that "I won't pay either". In 35 to 40 years I've paid for a hunt once (cranes as I have no means to do so myself). However, I got no problem paying $70 to hunt dove on about 15 fields in a 50 square mile area FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON. Sure hope they do it again this year (though last year was the worst ever on that lease).
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Stopped in to pick up my dove lease ticket, and they couldn't even tell me if they were gonna do it this year??????????????????? Lady told me to stop back in Monday when her husband was in; maybe he'd know.I think they've been having this lease for at least thye last 20m years or so.

While I agree with the previous forum member that "I won't pay either". In 35 to 40 years I've paid for a hunt once (cranes as I have no means to do so myself). However, I got no problem paying $70 to hunt dove on about 15 fields in a 50 square mile area FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON. Sure hope they do it again this year (though last year was the worst ever on that lease).

I completely agree with that mindset too, but when there's 2 fields in different locations, each within 10 minutes of my house, when my only other option is 45min-1 hour away, it's too convenient not to pass up. Plus they are specifically managed for doves every year, including being cut at the ideal time, burned off portions if no burn ban, etc. Pretty much a guaranteed limit of birds unless it's pouring down rain.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:20 pm

kind of worried. I haven't seen as many doves this year as last year even and last year wasn't great. Still got 3 weeks to go, but I hope to see them piling in soon.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:54 pm

OkieDuckFever wrote:kind of worried. I haven't seen as many doves this year as last year even and last year wasn't great. Still got 3 weeks to go, but I hope to see them piling in soon.

I still haven't started scouting, but I'm a little afraid the hurricane that went through plus all the wet weather has had a bad effect on them. Usually they do better in drier weather. Next Thursday the low is 62....also not good for the doves.
Nonetheless I have seen more in the last week than I did in July, from just driving to work and going to shoot clay targets.
Still early though. About 1-2 weeks before the opener is when I come to any conclusions.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am

Found out my dove lease in Morris is on again for this year; they just don't have the tickets/maps yet. Guy I know says there is 1000 + birds on one of the fields he knows of. 'Course that don't mean a lot with season a few weeks away and these cold fronts moving through as I type. :no:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Found out my dove lease in Morris is on again for this year; they just don't have the tickets/maps yet. Guy I know says there is 1000 + birds on one of the fields he knows of. 'Course that don't mean a lot with season a few weeks away and these cold fronts moving through as I type. :no:

Glad to hear that DW. From what you were saying I thought you may be left with public only hunts.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 pm

Specklebelly wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:Found out my dove lease in Morris is on again for this year; they just don't have the tickets/maps yet. Guy I know says there is 1000 + birds on one of the fields he knows of. 'Course that don't mean a lot with season a few weeks away and these cold fronts moving through as I type. :no:

Glad to hear that DW. From what you were saying I thought you may be left with public only hunts.

Wish I knew of some decent public fields. Only ones I know are usually a solitary field somewhere that is usually way overcrowded or simply gets hunted out very quickly. My Morris lease has about 15 fields (pretty much 4 or 5 "clusters" of fields) spread over 75 square miles this year. It'll be intersting this year what the doves do with this weather....public or private?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Yes, I am also somewhat worried with this weather....we've been hunting the same fields for the last 7 years, 6/7 years resulted in limits on opening day. Last year was the off year, and it was pretty dry overall...but I think the hurricane on the east coast brought us cooler temps which messed up the opening weekend.
I'm trying to remember if another one of the successful years was anywhere close to as wet as this summer has been, but I doubt it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:00 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:

Yes, I am also somewhat worried with this weather....we've been hunting the same fields for the last 7 years, 6/7 years resulted in limits on opening day. Last year was the off year, and it was pretty dry overall...but I think the hurricane on the east coast brought us cooler temps which messed up the opening weekend.
I'm trying to remember if another one of the successful years was anywhere close to as wet as this summer has been, but I doubt it.

Biggest factor on the Morris lease is when, sometimes if, the farmers harvested. Not unusual that fields don't get harvested until late in the season. I've also seen where fields had been harvested a month or so before season so any grain is either gone/rotted/or sprouting. Also not unusual for the farmers to till everything under a few days after the opener. The lease is not managed for dove; it's just a pool of fields on a lease where each year you have to watch and figure out where/how to get some birds. Last year was the worse I had ever seen; the fields "in rotation" for the lease in general were historically poor fields. Then 95% of the fields were tilled under within a week..............I switched to chasing rail and snipe instead during September/October. Didn't shoot but 2 or 3 dozen dove last year. Year before that was my best ever; I killed 200 on the lease.

I haven't been down there yet, but the fields on the lease this year are overall pretty good fields (IMO).
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Biggest factor on the Morris lease is when, sometimes if, the farmers harvested. Not unusual that fields don't get harvested until late in the season. I've also seen where fields had been harvested a month or so before season so any grain is either gone/rotted/or sprouting. Also not unusual for the farmers to till everything under a few days after the opener. The lease is not managed for dove; it's just a pool of fields on a lease where each year you have to watch and figure out where/how to get some birds. Last year was the worse I had ever seen; the fields "in rotation" for the lease in general were historically poor fields. Then 95% of the fields were tilled under within a week..............I switched to chasing rail and snipe instead during September/October. Didn't shoot but 2 or 3 dozen dove last year. Year before that was my best ever; I killed 200 on the lease.

I haven't been down there yet, but the fields on the lease this year are overall pretty good fields (IMO).

I did a quick drive by of the bigger field about an hour ago, saw 25 or so doves sitting on the power line. Only Aug 14th....can't complain about that.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:26 pm

10 day forecast is looking good. Sunny, upper 80s-mid 90s.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:36 am

Just filled out and printed my HIP. Sad, I killed more snipe than dove last year.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:38 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:Just filled out and printed my HIP. Sad, I killed more snipe than dove last year.

Were you able to get it to print on one page? Mine is in 2 pieces.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:33 pm

S.S.

Check your inbox for an email from ODWC, that is the best way I've found to print it off.
GCox25
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:40 pm

GCox25 wrote:S.S.

Check your inbox for an email from ODWC, that is the best way I've found to print it off.

I also tried that but couldn't get it to work....probably just me though. Anyway I got both pieces printed off and everything so I think I'm good. :yes:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:20 pm

I had no problem printing mine directly from the site. I did get two pages, but one was just a receipt type page; second page was the actual permit.

I always take my HIP and reduce it in size on the xerox machine so that it is only about 3 by 4 inches, then attach my Fed duck stamp on back. Since I have a lifetime, that is the only additional piece of paper I have to carry. I HATE having to carry full size papers folded up. Warden commented once on the smaller size smaller size, but it is still readable/legal.......

At Sequoya NWR, you used to have to send in for, then receive, a 4 x 8 inch permit to carry on you. Then they switched to making you simply enroll online BUT made it a requirement to "have on your person" your proof of enrollment by carrying like some 8 page refuge rule book; it was/is assinine. I reduce that on the xerox to double-sided 2 x 3 inch pages. I could care less if any warden or refuge person complains; their regs don't say how big it has to be.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:48 am

Dont dove hunt anymore. Around here there's not enough aggriculture to hold them. Just south of the river is plenty but its all day and season leases that I can't justify along with an out of state license. I just wait for teal.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby okiequacker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:40 pm

DW, i'll be going to scout in Morris next friday (aug. 30)
Hope to see ya around!
Tom Cook
Born and raised in Arkansas flooded timber!
okiequacker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Saw an add on CL for a dove lease in Morris...figured it was the same one yall have been talking about
LiquidA45
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting