Doves

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Doves

Postby wesmckinney1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:16 pm

First post! Went dove hunting for the first time this week! Me and my grandpa went monday and i took my 870 youth model 20ga didnt do so well my first bird hunting so that afternoon i had the money from selling a gun the weekend so i went and bough a benelli nova 12ga and i love it! Went that evening and done better!
Psalms 19:14, " Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer."
wesmckinney1
Newb

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:22 pm

The Real Old Guy wrote:I plunked down my $70 for the lease, but I was unable to go today.
Duck Whisperer has not reported his results for today at the now semi-famous "Morris Lease."
So, DW, How'd you do today?

Been having AC issues at home and covered up at work; can't wait for Septemer to end (relevent to the work front). Anyway, I think the Morris lease was less than average (all fields). Didn't hear any WW III anywhere, just scatterred shots here and there, though the field I was on did have a few 100 come onto it over a 45 minute period, then NOTHING. Turns out I was set up 200 yards from where I needed to be. By the time I moved, I had about 15 minutes of action - killed a whopping 8. Went back the next morning, and it was pretty much NOTHING.

I think the problem with Morris this opener was that only a handful of fields were cut, and they were cut just a day or two before season. I firmly believe a field needs to be cut and left alone for "a while" to get birds on it. From what I just heard, no new fields have been cut, with none forecast in the near future.Yay???

Went looking for rail after Sunday's lackluster hunt. That particular rail spot didn't have the right "conditions" yet. Only saw/killed 3.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

wesmckinney1 wrote:First post! Went dove hunting for the first time this week! Me and my grandpa went monday and i took my 870 youth model 20ga didnt do so well my first bird hunting so that afternoon i had the money from selling a gun the weekend so i went and bough a benelli nova 12ga and i love it! Went that evening and done better!

Welcome and congratulations :thumbsup:
sooner737
hunter

Postby me3401 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:41 am

Well, I'm up to 39 in 5 trips, so not real great, but I've done worse. Last night only got 2, but only shot at 5 and two were desperation shots. I was hunting in Tillman county.

Tonight I will go to Kiowa county and see if the birds are there.

Good luck all.
me3401
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:54 pm

me3401 wrote:Well, I'm up to 39 in 5 trips, so not real great, but I've done worse. Last night only got 2, but only shot at 5 and two were desperation shots. I was hunting in Tillman county.

Tonight I will go to Kiowa county and see if the birds are there.

Good luck all.

Pretty much the same for me...only saw 15-20 this evening, got a few shots, all 45-50yds. Didn't have enough choke in my gun for that range (and/or skill, not quite sure)... :yes: I hit one, it flew up in a tree to recover, fired my 3rd shot while it was sitting, pattern disintegrated by the time it reached the bird.
Just ordered a tighter extended choke, may end up trying #6s if this long range crap continues, lol.
I still don't understand why there weren't more birds using that field...it is in very good condition and the weather has been good.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Hitting a private field in Coweta in the morning, results to follow.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Dr Drewski » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:58 am

Didn't do as well today as we have previously, 20 birds for 2 guys.
Dr Drewski
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:35 pm

4 between four of us, probably done for the season.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby JDog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Slow going this morning. 5 guys on a field; 14 birds. Shooting was pretty good too.
JDog
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:51 am

I'm pretty bummed. Saw a ton of dove right before the season and now they are gone. :huh:
coach_1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:29 am

coach_1 wrote:I'm pretty bummed. Saw a ton of dove right before the season and now they are gone. :huh:

They are all in my neck of the woods :biggrin:

I got skunked today...and by skunked i mean shot a limit and literally got sprayed by a skunk walkin to the truck! 26 years have I roamed that area and finally get taken down by a damn skunk!

PS....the skunk is dead. Teal in a week!
sooner737
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Hunted Morris yesterday morning and only shot 3 straglers; should have had a few more. Nothing flew and heard no shooting from other fields. Quit early and drove to scout other fields even though I had heard nothing new was cut with no new harvesting forecast. Saw several freshly cut fields :huh: (But no birds anywhere).

Was gonna try a new field this morning but warden had other plans :no: With this being the start of six months of heavy hunting, I didn't want to be in the negative numbers on brownie points this early, so I didn't go. However, when she started discussing "going to OKC" next weekend........................well, I may be back in the negative brownie point numers.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby me3401 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

Friday evening I got 10. No hunting over the weekend (had to watch the grandson play football then take wife out Sunday (If momma isn't happy, nobody is happy)). I will try again Thursday.
me3401
hunter

Postby HighlandRanger » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 am

Looking for some help and advice. My son and I went dove hunting this year for the first time.

We live in Broken Arrow.

Initially we were told that the Lake Oologah WMA was a good choice. So we did a little scouting the week before opening and saw a few, but not much. We decided on a field west of Winganon. Had been recently mowed, sorghum, millet and sunflower everywhere. So opening weekend we were there and ready. Nothing... all day!

We went back yesterday morning... and again. Nothing! What gives?

So, I called my brother who used to do a lot of dove hunting and he told me to go to Kaw Lake WMA. We went there last evening. We saw 5 birds, shot at 4 and my son downed one. Still, very disappointing. Were are all the birds?

Anyone have any suggestions near Broken Arrow? I don't want this first year to go without at least some success.

Thanks!
HighlandRanger
Newb

Postby Okranger86 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm from and hunt the eastern part of the state, just not that many birds. Was able to squeak out a limit opening day but it was slow! Been out a couple times since then, nothing. If i were you i would keep checking that mowed field you mentioned, at some point i bet the birds will find it. At the very least maybe some pigeons will find it and you could really have some fun. Shoot all you want and no limit.
Okranger86
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

HighlandRanger wrote:Looking for some help and advice. My son and I went dove hunting this year for the first time.

We live in Broken Arrow.

Initially we were told that the Lake Oologah WMA was a good choice. So we did a little scouting the week before opening and saw a few, but not much. We decided on a field west of Winganon. Had been recently mowed, sorghum, millet and sunflower everywhere. So opening weekend we were there and ready. Nothing... all day!

So, I called my brother who used to do a lot of dove hunting and he told me to go to Kaw Lake WMA. We went there last evening. We saw 5 birds, shot at 4 and my son downed one. Still, very disappointing. Were are all the birds?

Anyone have any suggestions near Broken Arrow? I don't want this first year to go without at least some success.

Thanks!

As this entire thread suggests.....there simply are no birds here (yet?). What few residents are around learned after the first weekend which fields to avoid. Like OKranger6 suggetsed, keep looking/watching. Once they start migrating, a decent filed can hold a lot of birds later in the season. I think this hot, frontless fall has simply kept everything from migrating. Not just dove and rail that I normally chase this time of year; I've noticed a severe limitation on lots of different birds (particularily shorebirds) compared to past years.

I'm keeping my hopes up for October; have had some great dove hunts in that month. Hoping this will be another "October" year. Just hope all my fields don't get tilled under by then.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 pm

HighlandRanger wrote:Looking for some help and advice. My son and I went dove hunting this year for the first time.

We live in Broken Arrow.

Thanks!

there is about 100 birds on a half acre field to next battle creek church...
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby me3401 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:07 am

Highland Ranger, I've noticed that just a little pressure multiple days in a row will move birds off even great fields quickly

As others have said, you need to watch for migrations, but it will take some rain/cold fronts to our north to start the migration.

I hunted north of Weatherford last night and got 5 of the 7 birds I shot at (the other 2 lost some feathers, but they did not go down where I could see them). Opening morning my friends limited out on this field fairly quickly. I didn't even see a limit of birds all evening.

My count is at 54 now.
me3401
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I don't think this too far off tangent to be considered a threadjack attempt, more of a soapbox, even a whiny crybaby, but regarding birds getting "pushed off" a field:

IMO, nothing, I repeat NOTHING, will push birds off a field faster and better than the damn "walkers". By walkers I mean the guys who just have to walk over an entire field and attempt to jump shoot dove. Notice I say attempt; I have never seen these guys ever be successful (not counting the occasional bird). I know of only one, maybe two "scenarios" where one can successfully do so, and it doesn't happen very often at all. The grand majority of times, these guys simply bust birds off where they are comfortably feeding, blasting at them the whole time. The birds will NOT return; they simply find a different field. I have seen this happen countless times.

The only time I walk fields is to find fresh birds. If I have a crappy Saturday hunt, I'll quit before it gets too late, drive around to my other fields on the lease, and walk them, UNTIL, I start jumping some birds (and/or just spotting birds flying into a portion of a field). I do NOT shoot at flushed birds or attempt to "go over and see just how many birds are using that spot they seem to be going to". Once I've located a promising spot, I'll hunt it the next day. I learned long ago, in my ignorance, hunting a spot that I jumped a lot of birds the day before (and tryed to shoot them) resulted in poor or no shooting.

I sorta agree and disagree with me3401's comment that even a little pressure mutliple days in a row will move birds off a field. I've strung many days, even weeks, hunting the same field with the KEY being to hunt the edge of where the birds are using or in their flightpath to the spot they are using. I think the reason fields tend to "burn out" so quick early in the season is because more guys are simply "attempting to hunt", and a high percentage of these fair weather dove hunters tend to "walk" in one form or another. It only takes one guy walking and blasting his way through a field to ruin it and the first two weekends of the season are mostly guys who "hunt the first hour sitting somewhere" then drive around and "walk some fields".

That's why I like late seaon dove better. Hardly any hunters and the ones around generally know how to hunt.

I'll end with one of my more frustrating examples. 8 or 9 years ago, I had a field that 800 to 1000 dove were using daily. Eaaaaaaaaaasily 800 to 1000. This started in late September on a field that was probably 400 to 450 acres. I hunted that field every Friday,Satuday, and Sunday for 3 weeks straight and killed a limit just about every time. In those 3 weeks a saw a solitary guy or maybe a pair of guys every third or fourth hunt, and they hunted the same way I was.....NOT HARRASSING THE BIRDS. We simply set up in their flight path or close to where they were feeding but no so close that shots would jump them. It was heaven. Then one day, I watched 4 pickups park next to my truck. 7 or 8 guys got out and proceeded to walk every square foot of that filed. They must have shot a combined 10 or 15 boxes of shells. I saw them kill maybe 15 birds amongst them and those were birds milling about in the confusion, not ones they shot as they jumped. I hunted the field the next two days as surely I'd have some return? Clearly not all 800 to 1000 would leave? Maybe saw 15 or 20 birds each day. Field was ruined. Eventually found the birds on a nearby field.....one not on my lease.

I HATE walkers.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Anybody notice an influx of birds with this front? Just curious. I'll be hittin' my lease sometime this weekend, and will report once I do. Hvae better hopes with this front and a few new fields got cut in the last week.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Anybody notice an influx of birds with this front? Just curious. I'll be hittin' my lease sometime this weekend, and will report once I do. Hvae better hopes with this front and a few new fields got cut in the last week.

I've noticed a big influx of birds today too. Doves are everywhere!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:24 pm

okduckdude wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:Anybody notice an influx of birds with this front? Just curious. I'll be hittin' my lease sometime this weekend, and will report once I do. Hvae better hopes with this front and a few new fields got cut in the last week.

I've noticed a big influx of birds today too. Doves are everywhere!

I must have been in the wrong spot then. I didn't see nearly as many birds as I saw last weekend. Hopefully they will keep moving in and it will get better.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby HighlandRanger » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:11 am

Only seen one dove that I could shoot at all morning.
HighlandRanger
Newb

Postby me3401 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:32 am

I did not see an influx of birds yesterday. I managed to down 7 of the 11 birds I shot at (that is pretty good for me). My buudy got 4 with 7 shots.
me3401
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 am

NOT any influx of dove on my lease....yet
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting