Doves

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Doves

Postby Gruberguy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

I've seen HUGE increase in doves in my immediate area.... Between front other day.... AND corn harvest started Saturday-today, they have really moved in...
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Gruberguy wrote:I've seen HUGE increase in doves in my immediate area.... Between front other day.... AND corn harvest started Saturday-today, they have really moved in...

Good to hear. After this weekend, doves is what I will be concentrating on again. I'd love to kill some when the weather's actually reasonable.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Gruberguy wrote:I've seen HUGE increase in doves in my immediate area.... Between front other day.... AND corn harvest started Saturday-today, they have really moved in...

I second this. Last night was pretty solid.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Hmmmmmm. Well my lease is about 30 to 40 miles west of you, and it sucked Sunday. Wonder if I should visit the "fields" 15ish miles north, northeast of you? Last I looked, most were either beans, or uncut "good stuff".
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:46 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:

Hmmmmmm. Well my lease is about 30 to 40 miles west of you, and it sucked Sunday. Wonder if I should visit the "fields" 15ish miles north, northeast of you? Last I looked, most were either beans, or uncut "good stuff".

......theres a moonshine field out there?
sooner737
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 pm

sooner737 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks, genious. Now I gotta move my operation. :lol:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 am

sooner737 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

Man I wish!!!

Hopefully I can try and hunt some this weekend (Haven't seem many teal around my area). My lil' town usually doesn't hold many doves, so this many is kinda strange...
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Gruberguy wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

Man I wish!!!

Hopefully I can try and hunt some this weekend (Haven't seem many teal around my area). My lil' town usually doesn't hold many doves, so this many is kinda strange...

I learned a thing or 2 from Charlie dont cha know. You better stay away from copperhead road
sooner737
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:42 pm

sooner737 wrote:
Gruberguy wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

Man I wish!!!

I learned a thing or 2 from Charlie dont cha know. You better stay away from copperhead road

Love that song. Anyway, gonna hit the Morris lease in the AM (which field I got no clue). After an hour or two, I'm gonna drive over/up/to a rail spot and try 'em again.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby me3401 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 am

I saw the huge influx of birds Saturday. Last Monday I only saw 30 dove total in this field. Saturday evening there 500+. There were only about 200 last night, but it was still a good shoot. Hopefully tonight will be good also. I'm up to 94. Just one more limit to match my personal best.
me3401
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm

me3401 wrote:I saw the huge influx of birds Saturday. Last Monday I only saw 30 dove total in this field. Saturday evening there 500+. There were only about 200 last night, but it was still a good shoot. Hopefully tonight will be good also. I'm up to 94. Just one more limit to match my personal best.

Hit my lease Saturady morning. Farmers were busy the previous week. Drove to five fields before I found one not tilled under. Can't blame the farmers; I guess they were planting before the rain forecasted. Anyway, another forum member showed up about the time I was leaving the truck. We hunted adjacent fields. Saw three birds between both of us in the the first 30 minutes. I picked up and went rail hunting. Wish I could only see 200 birds. Still haven'tn up on dove; one or two good fields left if only some would migrate down. Thank goodness rail have been good the last week.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby me3401 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:44 am

Thee days in a row I've had good success dove hunting (up to 114 now). I hope the birds stay 2 more days. Thursday will be my last dove hunt. Then it is time to get the bow out. It has been a great run
me3401
hunter

Postby Gruberguy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:13 pm

I saw HUNDREDS in a field that I did a RX burn on today.... I've never seen many birds to mention in this area (not huntable), but they are certainlty there now!
Gruberguy
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Gruberguy wrote:I saw HUNDREDS in a field that I did a RX burn on today.... I've never seen many birds to mention in this area (not huntable), but they are certainlty there now!

You're killin' me GG :fingerhead: After my rail hunt yesterday, I did a little scouting. Went and looked at a couple milo fields "in your general area. They weren' cut as of Sep 7thish, bur are cut now. Look GREAT.....never saw a dove.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby me3401 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:36 am

I got out last night. I got 13 between 5:20 and 6:30. Then they quit flying. I've set my personal best with 127 dove this season. My buddy got 10 (a season high for him). I've decided to quit the dove hunting and start looking for Bambi's father.
me3401
hunter

Postby HighlandRanger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:10 am

Hoping I can get out Sat or Sun morning... and hoping they are still around.
HighlandRanger
Newb

Postby HighlandRanger » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Wasn't able to get out this morning because of the rain... any thoughts on tomorrow morning?
HighlandRanger
Newb

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 pm

HighlandRanger wrote:Wasn't able to get out this morning because of the rain... any thoughts on tomorrow morning?

I will make it out eventually...maybe next week. Cold front was pretty strong, not sure what effect it has/will have....could've moved them all out.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Had a little insight on a contributing factor of why my lease may be dry, even after that last front. There are only two fields left not tilled under that will/can draw birds. Ran into a guy Sunday who evidently hits the lease a few times a week and walks all the fields, "jumping" birds.

He was also NOT the first person I've run into that swears they "get into the rail good on those fields from time to time". :no: no :no: no :no: no.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby HighlandRanger » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:49 pm

I'm done with dove this year. I'm in deer mode now... getting my bow tuned up and taking my son out next weekend for youth gun hunt season. Maybe next year will be better.
HighlandRanger
Newb

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:12 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:Had a little insight on a contributing factor of why my lease may be dry, even after that last front. There are only two fields left not tilled under that will/can draw birds. Ran into a guy Sunday who evidently hits the lease a few times a week and walks all the fields, "jumping" birds.

He was also NOT the first person I've run into that swears they "get into the rail good on those fields from time to time". :no: no :no: no :no: no.

Sounds like there are quite a few "Yahoos" out there :beer:
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:43 am

These "rails", what are they really? Starlings?
petrotk40
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:08 am

petrotk40 wrote:These "rails", what are they really? Starlings?

If you are asking what a rail is, the real ones, that I hunt, I'd say surf ODWC's web page for season/limits/info/pictures; for better descriptions/pictures about rail in general, google sora rail on the web. We also can shoot Virginial Rail in OK, but I've only seen a handful and only shot a few (have killed a few 100 sora rail the last few years).

If you are asking what are these "rail" that these guys THINK they are shooting in the dove fields....who knows. But, most likely some sort of shorebird as several shorebird species will utilize fields in addition to using shorelines/marshes...Killdeer come to mind as the best example, and most dove hunters have seen/heard them. NONE of them are legally hutable. Now, snipe, which are legally huntable (starting Oct 1) can be found in fields, especially if those fields have wet/moist spots and/or after a good rain. And if the few guys I've talked with that "kill rail" on these fields are actually shooting snipe, they are stil illegal as they are shooting them out of season (based on what they told me).
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 am

I was asking the latter. that boggles my mind. hay look billybob, der's sum berds must b them rail things, choot em!
petrotk40
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting