Noob Crews

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm

Last year water levels were down everywhere which made all the ducks concentrated where their was water and hunters from everywhere to follow.

This year most of the state (from my observations) seems to have plenty of water which will spread out the ducks and also spread out the hunters. (Especially those noobs)

So how do you think your year is going to go dealing with noobs in your area compared to last year? (I say noobs, but i mean noobs and those hunters coming from other areas to hunt on water that has none)
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm


Re: Noob Crews

Postby LTMFH » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters. Back in the 198o's guys used old boats and drove old trucks. Mid 1990's saw very few hunters. 3 bird limit will do that. 2000's lots of new hunters. 2010's lots of new guys. All with NEW boats all with NEW trucks all with lanyards full of NEW bands. 34 years, lots of new guys. One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.
LTMFH
hunter
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Noob Crews

Postby cole1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm

That is very true! It is very evident when it gets brutally cold who the real duckmen are... I will go every single day the season is open that I am not working... I am glad to have the extra water this year and hopefully it continues! There is still time for things to dry up if it stops... so keep your fingers crossed! It will be nice to get into some of the holes off the beaten path that have been dry these past couple years!
cole1
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm

LTMFH wrote:Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters. Back in the 198o's guys used old boats and drove old trucks. Mid 1990's saw very few hunters. 3 bird limit will do that. 2000's lots of new hunters. 2010's lots of new guys. All with NEW boats all with NEW trucks all with lanyards full of NEW bands. 34 years, lots of new guys. One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.

Remember the two mallard limit years in the 80s? You could hunt weeks and never see anyone else

For us guys out west, ponds are full but lakes are still down too much for anything close to what is needed. I see no difference for this side of I35.
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm

LTMFH I just realized who you are/were lol. Glad to see your doing well!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby LTMFH » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:50 am

okduckdude wrote:LTMFH I just realized who you are/were lol. Glad to see your doing well!


Thanks, yep it me.
LTMFH
hunter
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:03 pm

LTMFH wrote:Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters................................ One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.


Couldn't agree more. I hunt one VERY crowded public spot in particular pretty hard. Every year is a totally different set of "noobs". Can't wait to see what this year's "winner" will be. Past winners were: "lawn chair guy", "Coot stalker", "Cart guy", "bicycle guy", "Pelican guy".....and the list goes on. These guys are both entertaining and/or very detrimental to anyone else killing birds. Me and my crew just take it in stride; part of the game.

Crazy Canoe Guy (as I've been told some call me)
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:32 pm

okduckdude wrote:So how do you think your year is going to go dealing with noobs in your area compared to last year?

Like you said, I'm also confident that the abundance of water (even though it could change, however we seem to be in maybe an El Nino weather pattern?) will spread everyone out to different lakes/hunting areas. Other than teal season, I hunted exclusively out of a boat on lakes. It was pretty bad compared to the season before. Dozens of hunters hunting an area of a couple square miles or less. Have never experienced so many yahoo problems during one season while boat hunting. I am predicting that this season will be less crowded than last season, but more crowded than the year before.
I would also like to note that during Christmas last season when we got that single digit temps/below zero windchill, pretty much NO ONE on the lake. :hammer: Everyone with the smaller boats stayed home during those days. The 18ft SeaArk with the hardside blind really shines in those conditions.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:44 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
okduckdude wrote:So how do you think your year is going to go dealing with noobs in your area compared to last year?

Like you said, I'm also confident that the abundance of water (even though it could change, however we seem to be in maybe an El Nino weather pattern?) will spread everyone out to different lakes/hunting areas. Other than teal season, I hunted exclusively out of a boat on lakes. It was pretty bad compared to the season before. Dozens of hunters hunting an area of a couple square miles or less. Have never experienced so many yahoo problems during one season while boat hunting. I am predicting that this season will be less crowded than last season, but more crowded than the year before.
I would also like to note that during Christmas last season when we got that single digit temps/below zero windchill, pretty much NO ONE on the lake. :hammer: Everyone with the smaller boats stayed home during those days. The 18ft SeaArk with the hardside blind really shines in those conditions.



Im the same as you and I was out there on the lake those days!!! I carried around my MR. Heater and an extra bag of clothes! It was some good shooting those days!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:44 am

Used to Boat Hunt Big Water abot half the time ... but that has dropped to near NADA as the LOW WATER CONDITIONS ifested the Western Lakes as those are where we spent most of our efforts.

This season protends to again allow for some good Boat Hunting... won't necessarily kill more Ducks than on our Privates ... but... it sure is a good change of pace and be'n a True Blue Old Fart ... on a Boat Hunt we hardly ever even get our feets wet and that's a good thing! Just run her into the hole ... toss out a few dekes ... shoot ducks ... pick up set with boat and head for BREAKFAST! Can't wait!

As for " NOOBS " we for years had to put up with them and COMPETE HARD on certan spots ( i.e. ... Ft. Cobb Lake ). Only a time or two did we LOSE SOME SKIN OFF'N OR NOSES ... and did even manage to meet some nice guys from far and wide. Played lots of cards , drank some good ALKIHALL and cooked some good meals in the detached kitchen at The Crow's Roost Motel! Miss dem GOOD OLE DAYS!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Noob Crews

Postby cole1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
LTMFH wrote:Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters................................ One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.


Couldn't agree more. I hunt one VERY crowded public spot in particular pretty hard. Every year is a totally different set of "noobs". Can't wait to see what this year's "winner" will be. Past winners were: "lawn chair guy", "Coot stalker", "Cart guy", "bicycle guy", "Pelican guy".....and the list goes on. These guys are both entertaining and/or very detrimental to anyone else killing birds. Me and my crew just take it in stride; part of the game.

Crazy Canoe Guy (as I've been told some call me)



I know where that is DW and they were Cormorants!!! And those coots had it coming to them... The Lawn Chair was comfy And BTW that cart was a damn good idea!!!!!!!! But I never took a bicycle down there! LOL
cole1
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:45 pm

cole1 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
LTMFH wrote:Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters................................ One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.


Couldn't agree more. I hunt one VERY crowded public spot in particular pretty hard. Every year is a totally different set of "noobs". Can't wait to see what this year's "winner" will be. Past winners were: "lawn chair guy", "Coot stalker", "Cart guy", "bicycle guy", "Pelican guy".....and the list goes on. These guys are both entertaining and/or very detrimental to anyone else killing birds. Me and my crew just take it in stride; part of the game.

Crazy Canoe Guy (as I've been told some call me)



I know where that is DW and they were Cormorants!!! And those coots had it coming to them... The Lawn Chair was comfy And BTW that cart was a damn good idea!!!!!!!! But I never took a bicycle down there! LOL

I wish I could've seen the bicycle guy
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby tealtime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Not saying I'm the only one to have seen "bike guy" do his thing but I can tell you first hand of his / his crew's style. He ruined one good hunt for me. The guys DW mentions exist, and seeing them in action is nothing short of amazing. Let me be clear here, we've all been new and heaven knows I've made my share of mistakes. But these guys are amazing.
tealtime
hunter
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 pm

tealtime wrote:Not saying I'm the only one to have seen "bike guy" do his thing but I can tell you first hand of his / his crew's style. He ruined one good hunt for me. The guys DW mentions exist, and seeing them in action is nothing short of amazing. Let me be clear here, we've all been new and heaven knows I've made my share of mistakes. But these guys are amazing.

:yes: Every duck hunter in Oklahoma needs to experience, get a taste of the hunting area DW and TT are talking about. It's quite the spectacle.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm

I will admit that out here I have used a bike and guys, don't knock it until you try it. You can get some serious distance in a short time. I do admit, it's a pain with a bag of decs on your back but I have found it was well worth the effort.
I love my SP-10
User avatar
Specklebelly
hunter
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:01 pm
Location: Bolarus IX

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I will admit that out here I have used a bike and guys, don't knock it until you try it. You can get some serious distance in a short time. I do admit, it's a pain with a bag of decs on your back but I have found it was well worth the effort.

I will go out on a limb here and say that this guy probably wasn't covering much distance.... :tongue:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 pm

I like to listen to the guys calling around the area..... Somewhere amongst them is a wanna be world world champion, someone blowing the broken tape recorder, the dying duck hail call, and somewhere in between you have the mating calls of some domestic cat crossed with a moose.....
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby tealtime » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Speck, man I could see how a bike could be good to go in some areas, not knocking the bike itself. Really it was a crew of guys that were incredibly rude, inconsiderate, and ignorant. They just happened to have a bike among them, thus "bike guy" was born! Basically they set up 75 yards downwind of me, 2 hrs after legal, sky busted anything "close" and didn't pick up any birds that I saw them actually hit. Terrible. Good blind story though!
tealtime
hunter
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby cole1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:23 am

I am looking forward to the extra options this year will bring... Last year we hunted open water, farm ponds, Public WDU, and it was all mediocre at best... I can't wait to get to some of my hidden spots that are way off the beaten path! Not to mention the farm ponds will all have water this year... I think there were about 5 ponds on my lease that were empty last year!
cole1
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:52 pm

tealtime wrote:Basically they set up 75 yards downwind of me, 2 hrs after legal, sky busted anything "close" and didn't pick up any birds that I saw them actually hit.

When that happens one too many times for me to tolerate, green jeans gets called. Setting up too close might be difficult for them to enforce, but wanton waste is very clear for them to see.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:44 am

OMG, I forgot about "inner tube guy". He was a classic.

Back to the original post as I never really answered it: I do think (hope and pray) the crowds will be much better this year. Certainly, since there is more water, the guys who had to drive "far" to get to a decent hunting spot won't have as far to travel. And the true Noobs (1st timers) will have more places to cut their teeth.

Regarding our fav public spot loosely referenced to in previous posts that historically has been a "noob magnet": I need to get over there and look at it. With all this rain, and based on past experience, I seriouslly wonder what, IF ANY, mowing patterns they have done down there? TT and I will have to philosophize about this (offline).
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:OMG, I forgot about "inner tube guy". He was a classic.

That one was funny, but from what you told me, sounded like he was just clueless and new to the sport, and didn't cause problems for anyone else. That kind of stuff is always perfectly cool with me. He just needed someone to help him out/give him some tips.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:11 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:OMG, I forgot about "inner tube guy". He was a classic.

That one was funny, but from what you told me, sounded like he was just clueless and new to the sport, and didn't cause problems for anyone else. That kind of stuff is always perfectly cool with me. He just needed someone to help him out/give him some tips.



Yup, like I first posted in this thread some noobs can be very entertaining (not just detrimental. That guy was a true 1st timer. Real nice guy. I talked a lot with him and tried to help him as much as possible; each time I saw him, he was a little futher away from the landing, but he simply would NOT venture from the safety of a levee.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1653
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: Noob Crews

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:14 pm

I still haven't seen any noobs drop out
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:OMG, I forgot about "inner tube guy". He was a classic.

That one was funny, but from what you told me, sounded like he was just clueless and new to the sport, and didn't cause problems for anyone else. That kind of stuff is always perfectly cool with me. He just needed someone to help him out/give him some tips.



Yup, like I first posted in this thread some noobs can be very entertaining (not just detrimental. That guy was a true 1st timer. Real nice guy. I talked a lot with him and tried to help him as much as possible; each time I saw him, he was a little futher away from the landing, but he simply would NOT venture from the safety of a levee.

I'm perfectly fine with helping/giving tips to someone like that. But people who are breaking the law/being detrimental...not so much. We have gotten in arguments on here before about this stuff...the "stop b1tching and do something about it" point of view for example, but I don't think they quite understood what we were dealing with.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 4176
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests