Noob Crews

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:06 am

shoveler_shooter wrote: I'm perfectly fine with helping/giving tips to someone like that. But people who are breaking the law/being detrimental...not so much. We have gotten in arguments on here before about this stuff...the "stop b1tching and do something about it" point of view for example, but I don't think they quite understood what we were dealing with.


Excellent point. Couldn't agree more. There is no sense at all trying to talk with or "help" guys who flagrantly are breaking the law (usually multiple laws), regardless if they are noobs or "seasoned" hunters. Those are the guys I let the warden "help". And I do call the warden; got all their phone #s in my cell.

And while I think it is right the right thing to do for all of us to help out newcomers, I do draw the line at "hooking up" and hunting with ANYBODY that I don't really know and/or seen in action, especially those early morning parking lot guys you just met/saw for the very first time who want to hunt together right then.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK


Re: Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote: I'm perfectly fine with helping/giving tips to someone like that. But people who are breaking the law/being detrimental...not so much. We have gotten in arguments on here before about this stuff...the "stop b1tching and do something about it" point of view for example, but I don't think they quite understood what we were dealing with.


Excellent point. Couldn't agree more. There is no sense at all trying to talk with or "help" guys who flagrantly are breaking the law (usually multiple laws), regardless if they are noobs or "seasoned" hunters. Those are the guys I let the warden "help". And I do call the warden; got all their phone #s in my cell.

And while I think it is right the right thing to do for all of us to help out newcomers, I do draw the line at "hooking up" and hunting with ANYBODY that I don't really know and/or seen in action, especially those early morning parking lot guys you just met/saw for the very first time who want to hunt together right then.



I agree. I am very cautious who I hunt with these days..... Some people are just plain crazy even when you have known them for awhile.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:57 am

Sooo....it's Monday morning in September, I'm on vacation until tomorrow or Wednesday. Went out to my regular lake to scout for teal (since I won't be able to before Saturday), got there at about sunrise, no one on the lake. After about 20 minutes on the lake, the yahoos come out of the woodwork. 2 high school kids probably skipped class, launched a mud boat, flying around everywhere full throttle, including in the back of coves that are less than 3ft deep, and right past bass fishermen. Then someone else (yahoo status undetermined, but vehicle noted) decides to launch at a random spot on the lake shore. Truck was parked about halfway in the lake...yeah, that's smart.
And it's only Monday. Maybe I need to start going to a different lake. At this rate it's going to be even worse than last year, which was a circus. I'm also beginning to think I was completely wrong about the abundance of water spreading out hunters.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am

To say the least this might turn out to be an interesting year..... :eek:


Hopefully you won't be in one of those coves this weekend after the first buzz of teal go by and those jack wagons show up running the boat like maniacs.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:17 am

okduckdude wrote:To say the least this might turn out to be an interesting year..... :eek:


Hopefully you won't be in one of those coves this weekend after the first buzz of teal go by and those jack wagons show up running the boat like maniacs.



That's why tealtime and I will probably do a Yak Attack. Hopefully get way back and/or away from "others".
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

I really hope this morning was a sign of what the regular season will be like. Usually, any kind of opener in the area I hunt, the yahoos will be there. It's a given. This morning, only 2 other groups in the distance.....a nice stress-free hunt, and significantly less crowded than the last teal opener. Strange about Monday though.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:24 am

I forgot to mention...group that was closest to us, 500+ yards, was probably blasting the hell out of wood ducks (we had single and doubles of woodies flying past us all morning). They were set up in the back of another cove like we were, firing off single shots randomly. All of the teal were in groups of 10 or more. Then we would hear a barrage when teal flew past them. Probably should've called green jeans on them, but didn't have a number handy.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater and Owasso

Re: Noob Crews

Postby okduckdude » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:I forgot to mention...group that was closest to us, 500+ yards, was probably blasting the hell out of wood ducks (we had single and doubles of woodies flying past us all morning). They were set up in the back of another cove like we were, firing off single shots randomly. All of the teal were in groups of 10 or more. Then we would hear a barrage when teal flew past them. Probably should've called green jeans on them, but didn't have a number handy.


I was hearing someone shoot single shots too this morning. Either they had a single shot or it could have been the same situation.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
User avatar
okduckdude
hunter
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Skye Bustin' » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
LTMFH wrote:Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters................................ One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.


Couldn't agree more. I hunt one VERY crowded public spot in particular pretty hard. Every year is a totally different set of "noobs". Can't wait to see what this year's "winner" will be. Past winners were: "lawn chair guy", "Coot stalker", "Cart guy", "bicycle guy", "Pelican guy".....and the list goes on. These guys are both entertaining and/or very detrimental to anyone else killing birds. Me and my crew just take it in stride; part of the game.

Crazy Canoe Guy (as I've been told some call me)


"white t-shirt guys," "levee guy." Too many to name out there. Wouldn't be so bad if they would open up all the units.

I do recall getting peppered by some fellow duck enthusiasts the first time I hunted with you, DW. Not my idea of fun. But I recall getting a 2-man limit and not them
User avatar
Skye Bustin'
hunter
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm
Location: Back down south, don't you know

Re: Noob Crews

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Skye Bustin' wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
LTMFH wrote:Every season since 1980 for me has had a new crop of hunters................................ One thing never changed. 98% of them drop out into the season.


Couldn't agree more. I hunt one VERY crowded public spot in particular pretty hard. Every year is a totally different set of "noobs". Can't wait to see what this year's "winner" will be. Past winners were: "lawn chair guy", "Coot stalker", "Cart guy", "bicycle guy", "Pelican guy".....and the list goes on. These guys are both entertaining and/or very detrimental to anyone else killing birds. Me and my crew just take it in stride; part of the game.

Crazy Canoe Guy (as I've been told some call me)


"white t-shirt guys," "levee guy." Too many to name out there. Wouldn't be so bad if they would open up all the units.

I do recall getting peppered by some fellow duck enthusiasts the first time I hunted with you, DW. Not my idea of fun. But I recall getting a 2-man limit and not them


Oh, don't remind me of that day. I thought I was gonna die.........for the next 3 or 4 days.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1648
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests