Anyone have a dog from Hickory Creek Kennels in Porum Ok

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Anyone have a dog from Hickory Creek Kennels in Porum Ok

Postby duckhunter83 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Just want to know how many people have dogs from this kennel I have a four month old pup from them that is the best pup I have ever worked with.
duckhunter83
Newb

Re: Anyone have a dog from Hickory Creek Kennels in Porum Ok

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 pm

Never heard of that particular kennel. Got some information on them you can put up to look at ... always on the look out for a good trainer/breeder ... very few active in Oklahoma as compared to other states! What's the pedigree on your pup ... you know some details!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 pm

duckhunter83 wrote:Just want to know how many people have dogs from this kennel I have a four month old pup from them that is the best pup I have ever worked with.

Wow, me too. Never thought I would see someone say that on here. Mine is 11 months now, it's been pretty fun training her, very interesting personality. She has no problem with gunfire, very steady, has picked up live and dead birds...including dead teal, gadwall, doves, starlings, mockingbirds. Her first "real" hunt will be the dove opener, she is going to have a blast.

About Hickory Creek- good people, they breed well tempered dogs. However...I paid $550 for mine, I think she has increased the price to $750 or $850...which is kinda ridiculous for a dog coming from 2 parents who have no hunt test certifications or field trials.
For that price I would have gone to a competitive minded breeder with hunt test certifications on both parents at the minimum, or gone over the $1000 mark to get one with field trial parents.
But, apparently she has the demand from customers and if she wants to charge that much, more power to her. If it was me and I had to do it again I would get one with something other than health certifications.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:56 am

Is there a web site? Or you got a phone number?

I breed a litter every other year or so and also choose to charge in the $500.00 range for my puppies! I could reasonably ask more due to the " breeding " ... titles and parentage of the parents.

I spent two years on an " INTERNSHIP " at an Old School Retriever Trainers ... hell I was treated worse than the dogs ... and learned just enough to be dangerous. I saw first hand how a lot of stuff is used to " BABBOOZLE " the " uneducated " prospective clients. I had a lot of stuff jammed down my throat over that time frame and BELIEVED a lot of it ... at least for a bit of time. One of the biggest was the need to breed to FT so you could " GET A GRAND OR SO " for a pup. I learned that well bred dogs ... bred for a specific purpose or purposes can be achieved for a lot less money. THEN ... you run into those that go IF THIS DOG IS LESS MONEY ... IT CAN'T BE AS " GOOD "! It is al DOUBLE EDGED SWORD. Now I believe I can pick out a good prospect ... at least for myself when and if the time comes ... regarless of the paper work. I DO still like to look at the Pedigrees along with seeing BOTH PARENTS when possible!!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm

http://www.hickorycreekchesapeakes.com/
I don't think either of us mentioned yet, but we're talking chessies here...to prevent any confusion.

UDM, your prices sound normal since you have the titles. When I was talking about overpriced, I was referring to the $750-$850 pups....and they are $850 now, which is pretty damn ridiculous from a kennel with no titles from the parents. Sure, mine has a long lineage of titles, champions, etc., but when it comes down to it, all that matters is the mom and dad. If neither of them did anything, the rest of the chart doesn't mean a whole lot. The vast majority of the genes (or whatever the appropriate term is) come from the sire and dam.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby duckhunter83 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:49 am

I paid $700 for the pup I agree it was a little high for no champs in the line but I will have to say very smart pups she is training at 4 months like some ive seen at 8 to 10 thanks for the input to all.
duckhunter83
Newb

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:48 pm

duckhunter83 wrote:I paid $700 for the pup I agree it was a little high for no champs in the line but I will have to say very smart pups she is training at 4 months like some ive seen at 8 to 10 thanks for the input to all.

The good thing about chessies is the breed hasn't been all watered down like labs have.....if you get a purebred chessie, there's about a 99% chance it's gonna hunt. Regardless of hunt test or field trial titles. Breed was made to hunt, and a very high percentage of them are still currently bred to hunt.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:03 pm

It always comes down to what the BUYER is WILLING TO PAY at the time! IF you come across a pup that appears to be a " fit " then the price most times becomes secondary! I study the Pedgirees of both parents ... I do put a certain amount of stock in the pups pedigrees. Most of the pups I have purchased have had differing amonts and types of titling in them. I was " taught " that a pup that is not sired by an FC is basicly a " TRASH BRED " pup. It took a bit of personal experiences and DIRECT OBSERVATIONS to figure out that some of that was derived frm a PURELY MARKETING ANGLE!

When I find something I like see something in a pup that I believe in .... the initial importance of the " guideance " the Pedigree afforded becomes secondary! This way IF I GET " BIT " ... I AM THE ONLY ONE RESPONSIBLE!

Guess what I'm try'n to impart is ... FORGET THE NAGGING FEELILNG THAT YOU PAID TOO MUCH!?
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 pm

UrbanDuckMan wrote:It always comes down to what the BUYER is WILLING TO PAY at the time! IF you come across a pup that appears to be a " fit " then the price most times becomes secondary! I study the Pedgirees of both parents ... I do put a certain amount of stock in the pups pedigrees. Most of the pups I have purchased have had differing amonts and types of titling in them. I was " taught " that a pup that is not sired by an FC is basicly a " TRASH BRED " pup. It took a bit of personal experiences and DIRECT OBSERVATIONS to figure out that some of that was derived frm a PURELY MARKETING ANGLE!

When I find something I like see something in a pup that I believe in .... the initial importance of the " guideance " the Pedigree afforded becomes secondary! This way IF I GET " BIT " ... I AM THE ONLY ONE RESPONSIBLE!

Guess what I'm try'n to impart is ... FORGET THE NAGGING FEELILNG THAT YOU PAID TOO MUCH!?

All depends on what your intentions are...for me, and most other people (duck hunters), 2 parents from a hunting line that are proven hunters is good enough for what they expect out of the dog. But for other people, they want to be practically guaranteed the dog will hunt well, do hunt tests, field trials, so their prerequisites will be higher than someone like me.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting