Stinchcomb blind drawing

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Stinchcomb blind drawing

Postby SilverLabThunder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:33 pm

I've looked around and can't find any information on the blind drawing for stinchcomb this year. Does anyone know when the drawing is going to be held?
SilverLabThunder
Newb

Re: Stinchcomb blind drawing

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:25 am

It's never posted until early September. Still a little early.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby SilverLabThunder » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:17 am

Thanks. That doesn't leave much time to get a blind ready for teal season opener. I was just recently introduced to stinchcomb and am almost certain I will be drawn for a blind. I'm just that lucky. #sarcasm
SilverLabThunder
Newb

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:37 am

SilverLabThunder wrote:Thanks. That doesn't leave much time to get a blind ready for teal season opener. I was just recently introduced to stinchcomb and am almost certain I will be drawn for a blind. I'm just that lucky. #sarcasm

I hope you get one. You and about 250 of your closest friends will be at the drawing for about 25 blinds.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Hopefully it's on Weds night..... Duck dynasty will be on that will eliminate half of those people. Historically the blind draw is the week after the teal opener but who knows.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby GCox25 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:50 pm

Normally it's on a Tuesday night, if I remember correctly and Speck is right about the turnout. Last year was very low because there was no water (for the last 2 years) but I would imagine everybody that owns a duck call will be out there this year. I think there's more like 53-58 blinds out there, although I think that's way too many.
GCox25
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:57 pm

GCox25 wrote:I think there's more like 53-58 blinds out there, although I think that's way too many.

Yep...that's how the ODWC rolls....
WAY, WAY, WAY too many permanent blinds on a less than 2 square mile area on the lake I hunt last season. Season before there was one or two. If everyone showed up to their blind the same day, people who didn't draw wouldn't have had a place to hunt. It's like a lease. They need to start charging like $500 a season per blind.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:37 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
GCox25 wrote:I think there's more like 53-58 blinds out there, although I think that's way too many.

WAY, WAY, WAY too many permanent blinds on a less than 2 square mile area on the lake I hunt last season. Season before there was one or two. If everyone showed up to their blind the same day, people who didn't draw wouldn't have had a place to hunt. It's like a lease. They need to start charging like $500 a season per blind.

Why should people have to pay to use public hunting land? If you think people should pay then go find a lease. I'm sure many people have to pinch pennies just to hunt and I don't see why they should have to pay extra just so you don't feel crowded when you hunt. Public land is crowded and that's just how it is. There is ways around it but I definitely disagree with paying for a blind.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Shrek » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Why should people have to pay to use public hunting land? If you think people should pay then go find a lease. I'm sure many people have to pinch pennies just to hunt and I don't see why they should have to pay extra just so you don't feel crowded when you hunt. Public land is crowded and that's just how it is. There is ways around it but I definitely disagree with paying for a blind.

I think what he's saying is that those using a blind that they can claim as their own on public land is tantamount to them leasing a property. You can kick someone off of your lease just like you can kick them out of your blind on public land. The only difference is that the public land is intended for use by any individual.
Shrek
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

I think if they can lease it for FREE with the current system, the ODWC might as well make money off of it. It's supposed to be PUBLIC land, first come first serve. Maybe if they started charging $500, there wouldn't be 50 free leases reserved until 7:30 every day dotted all over the area I hunt. I hunt mobile, out of a boat blind. When you have to stay 250yds from the blinds, and there's ten thousand of them, it's absolutely ridiculous.
Obviously you didn't understand what I was saying at all.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

I think if they can lease it for FREE with the current system, the ODWC might as well make money off of it. It's supposed to be PUBLIC land, first come first serve. Maybe if they started charging $500, there wouldn't be 50 free leases reserved until 7:30 every day dotted all over the area I hunt. I hunt mobile, out of a boat blind. When you have to stay 250yds from the blinds, and there's ten thousand of them, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Your right, I misinterpreted what you meant but didn't mean it as an attack as it may have come off. Sorry about that.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:17 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Your right, I misinterpreted what you meant but didn't mean it as an attack as it may have come off. Sorry about that.

no problem
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby GCox25 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:06 am

Stinch is different too, it's a city lake, so it's run by the Police or Highway Patrol, I forget which, but not the ODWC.

Some of the blinds are too close together for my comfort, but most are okay. If I knew all the hunters in the adjoining blinds, it would be different, but, it is public, so there's no telling who will show up. The person that draws the blind has priority all season long, but if they are not in it at first light, anybody can hunt it. Most folks get a list of the blind owners and call the night before their hunt to see if the person that drew the blind is going to hunt the next day or not. That usually works very well.

All I hunt is public land, so I'm on the fence about having to pay any additional fees. You already have the city hunting permit that you have to buy, only $12 but that's still $12 and if you draw a blind that isn't built, you have to build some type of blind and brush it in before season starts, so there's usually expense there too, unless you draw one of my buddy's blinds from previous seasons. They are built to last and there's probably close to 20 out there.

It's still a good alternative for a city guy or someone that cannot leave the city on certain weekends.
GCox25
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

FYI - I went by tonight and the dates are not posted yet.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby redhead4151 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:08 pm

September 11 @ 8PM
I'll be there with ya Brett.
It's is your quack supplier by the way.
redhead4151
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:34 pm

I drew out a blind a couple years ago. Let me say that it was a pain to hunt that place. People set up really close, come in late, and leave an hour later. The worst part is the shot that was landing in the decoys and on us. Oh, and 375 people showed up at the draw. Guys drug there grandparents, aunts and uncles and who ever else that was breathing to the drawing. Pretty ridiculous place.
coach_1
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Blinds #1 thru #6 on Overholster blinds #7 thru #18 on Streetcar blinds #19 thru #23 on Johnson blind #24 on river
blinds #25 thru #36 on Northwest.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting