FBI honors 3 OK game wardens

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

FBI honors 3 OK game wardens

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Got this in my email last week, love reading these stories.
Aug. 14, 2013
A service of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

FBI HONORS 3 OKLAHOMA GAME WARDENS

The FBI recently honored three Oklahoma game wardens for their assistance in a priority law enforcement operation that took place in northwestern Oklahoma two years ago.
"It's always nice to know that there are wardens out who know the area and are ready to assist, and this was important that night," said James E. Finch, special agent in charge of the Oklahoma City FBI office.
Finch honored the three wardens during the Aug. 5 meeting of the Oklahoma Wildlife Commission.
He told the Commission that around midnight May 4, 2011, warden Ben Bickerstaff got a phone call. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol was asking Bickerstaff to assist with a law enforcement operation west of Orienta in Major County.
A short time later, Bickerstaff along with wardens Lt. Mark Walker and Lt. Frank Huebert were at an FBI command site near Gloss Mountain State Park. The FBI was on the trail of Sandlin "Sandy" Smith, a Florida man wanted in connection with the bombing of a Muslim mosque, and the suspect's cell phone had been traced to that rugged area of northwestern Oklahoma.
Huebert, who has good knowledge of the local terrain and access to the area, was able to help position members of an FBI SWAT team near the suspect's position. Bickerstaff and Walker had night-vision equipment to lend to the operation, and they also assisted in maintaining roadblocks around the perimeter.
"We approached the tent of Mr. Sandlin to get him to surrender. He ... came out of the tent armed with an AK-47, pointing it at the agents," Finch said. "At that time, he was fatally wounded."
Finch told commissioners the three wardens greatly contributed to the operation's success.
"The reason I'm here is because of my appreciation," Finch said. "These guys ... helped immensely with locating and securing that area. Guys, in my book, you're awesome."
Each warden received a certificate of recognition from the FBI, signed by FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III. The certificates recognize each warden for "dedication and contributions to a joint law enforcement operation carried out by your agency in cooperation with the FBI. Your skills, devotion to duty, and ability to work closely with other law enforcement officers were responsible for a significant part of the successes achieved in this priority investigation."
No law enforcement officers were injured during the operation. Finch told the wardens,"I owe you a lot, and certainly the families of our SWAT team owe you a lot.
"My hat goes off to these guys for doing something I pray about every time they (FBI agents) go -- that they all come home. I truly believe the support coming from the game wardens here made that possible," Finch said.

--30--

The FBI honored three Oklahoma game wardens for their assistance in a priority operation in 2011. From left are Col. Robert Fleenor, chief of law enforcement with the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation; Lt. Frank Huebert, warden stationed in Major County; Lt. Mark Walker, warden stationed in Blaine County; Ben Bickerstaff, warden stationed in Alfalfa County; and James E. Finch, FBI special agent in charge of the Oklahoma City FBI office. (ODWC Photo)
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: FBI honors 3 OK game wardens

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:25 pm

43 "looks" and no responses. I'd say the internet scouting is increasing as hunting seasons get closer.

I truely respect 98% of wardens; wish I saw one every day, everywhere I hunted.

FBI? Well I hold a special place in my heart for them :lol3:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 am

Last 3 years I've seen one who drove up as we.were packing up to leave. We talked a bit about what we got that morning, never asked to see them, licenses, stamps, shotshells or anything. Never got out of his truck, but it was pretty muddy.
Good to see the FBI recognise the lowly locals though, its not the usual for them.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 pm

DW I agree, wish I saw them more frequently. Maybe it would deter some of the nonsense that goes on at some of the places we hunt. Cool post though.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 am

I will never forget the guy who I saw get a ticket for not having a plug in his gun. He told the GW that he forgot to put it back in after taking it out for dove season. :fingerhead:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 am

Specklebelly wrote:I will never forget the guy who I saw get a ticket for not having a plug in his gun. He told the GW that he forgot to put it back in after taking it out for dove season. :fingerhead:

Seems like a valid excuse, last year a game warden gave my buddy a warning for signing his game across the bottom of his duck stamp instead of across the face. This was after much deliberation, he originally wanted to issue a citation. I understand the reasoning for signing them but I think it would have been ridiculous to issue a citation for the placement of the signature. Another encounter I had resulted in the Warden telling me he was surprised I killed anything seeing as I was using such cheap ammo and a dirty gun.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I will never forget the guy who I saw get a ticket for not having a plug in his gun. He told the GW that he forgot to put it back in after taking it out for dove season. :fingerhead:

Well, them dove tend to be fast. Need all the extra shots you can get.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

seems like a valid excuse

Other than the fact it is illegal to dove hunt without a plug.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Specklebelly wrote:

I was being sarcastic my friend
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:

I was being sarcastic my friend

I was hoping so but you just never know. :hammer:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 am

I don't know about everyone else but I assume that I can't be the only who gets very offended when I feel like people question or insult my what I know about hunting lol. When I read that I got very defensive and then thought, with the amount of yahoo's out there no one can assume that others know right from wrong when it comes to hunting...I just think it's funny how offended I got initially. Not that I have a vast wealth of hunting knowledge but I think that it is obvious people get so offended by that. :beer:
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting