Dead Ducks

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Dead Ducks

Postby Morphsuit » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I live in the Checotah area and I'm looking for a dead duck. Mallard or something to train my pup with. Anyone know where I can get one at? Thanks!
Morphsuit
hunter

Re: Dead Ducks

Postby Ely » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:30 pm

If you really want a duck might buy a tame duck and kill it and use that bit if it was up to me if use a dove or pigeon. Just my .02
Ely
hunter

Postby redhead83 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 am

I have a teal,woodduck, and a mallard in my freezer if you want em. Let me know.
redhead83
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Depending on the age of the pup, I wouldn't get too big a bird. Could start bad habits.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm

I used a live duck that I bought at the swapmeet. I fead the duck chicken scratch and made a small cage to keep it in. Worked out really well for several months. I clipped the ducks wings on one side so it couldnt fly off. After I was finished with the duck, I released him at the park.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Morphsuit » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:08 pm

redhead83 wrote:I have a teal,woodduck, and a mallard in my freezer if you want em. Let me know.

What part of Oklahoma are you from?
Morphsuit
hunter

Postby Morphsuit » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:09 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:Depending on the age of the pup, I wouldn't get too big a bird. Could start bad habits.

What kind of bad habits?
Morphsuit
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:08 am

Morphsuit wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:Depending on the age of the pup, I wouldn't get too big a bird. Could start bad habits.

What kind of bad habits?

Hard mouth being the main one. If it has a problem picking it up because of size, it will put a tighter grip on which can lead to that. I've heard of that happening to some. Also, it could start to carry only by the head, feet, or wing. But that can be a personal choice.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:00 pm

" They are never any smarter than they are right now !" Quote from an Old School Life Long Pro Retriever Trainer!

Since spending a lengthly " internship " ( fancy word for CLEANING DOG CRAP OUTTA RUNS and TOSSING MAGGOT INFESTED DUCK as MARKS ) I am a BELIEVER in those words! Hence , we start our puppies out on PIGEON WINGS at about the time they OPEN THIER EYES!

A crate of a few pigeons is placed on a table just above and next to the whelping box. They grow up smelling and hearing the movements of the birds but can never quite get to them. It is said that pigoens have a scent and feather texture very close to that of an actual duck! We pick them up and hold them and tease and tickle thier noses with pigeon feathers till they are about 6 weeks of age. Then we tie a wing onto the end of a piece of momofilament line and the other end onto the end of an old fishing pole and toss the wing out next to the " scrum " and start jerking it about. Soon the WHOLE LITTER IS CRAZY to CATCH the wing. We always let one catch it ... remove that pup ... and continue till they all have caught it at least once. ALWAYD END ON SUCCESS!

Next step is to pull the flight feathers on a pigeon and toss it out onto the ground in front of the pup in an enclosed area . THE CHASE IS ON and once the pup has caught the bird we remove it quickly ... just do not let the pup CHEW ON IT or GET AWAY with playing " KEEP AWAY WITH IT ". Pince the junctures of the bottom and upper jaws with your thumb and forefinger in order to bring about an " gentle " and proper RELEASE .... all the wihle telling the pup in a calm voice .... " DROP , DROP, DROP " ... GOOD DOG!

Some pups are BORN with HARD MOUTHS and this will let yo identify those early on.... some are " made " ... this is another reason for a good FF Program as it is easier to clean up a Hard Mouth on a pup ... well before it SITS IN HARD. I have seem some you NEVER get it out of the pup but these seem to be far and few between!

NOTE: A lot of this is done during Force To HOLD!

Don't forget it should be desireable for THE BUMPER to become the NUMBER ONE OBJECT or TRAINING TOOL for a puppy! Keeping the Pigeon for only SPECIAL PURPOSES! Reasons for this are mainly that Live/Dead Ducks can be very hard to locate and can become a bit expensive. Nothing wrong with keep the pup lazered on the bumper! If it appears the pup is getting " tired " of the bumper ... then a live bird " session " can serve to get it jacked back up. All your doing is FOOLING THE PUP ... hell FOOLING THE DOG or TRICKING THE DOG into doing what it is you want it to do is ... what ... 99% of training a dog!

At about 4 months of age our pups are ready for LIVE FLYERS ... one on Land at about 40 yards and one over Water at about the same distance should tell you or not whether the pup is gonna " MAKE IT ". IF a pup can run these two marks ... IT CAN BE CONSIDERED BY SOME ( those that " only want a meat dog " ) to be DONE... FINISHED! Thing is hopefully most of us want and expect MORE than those abilities to make what WE CONSIDER JUST A MEAT DOG?

I can promise you that IF you spend about 15 minutes a day with a pup using the above listed " program " and adding the running of simple SIGHT MARKS on level low covered ground ( mowed yard or athletic field type ) STRETCHING the pup OUTWARDS OF SAY a 100 yards ... you can CALL IT GOOD and DONE and start taking the pup on hunts at about six months of age.

Just remember ... he's gonna be a HEATHEN most of the time or at least until he's about 5 years of age and IF he ever decides that he's had enought and one day REFUSES to GO ... there ain't much you can do that will make any difference. ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO MAKE SURE YOU GET A DECENT FF PROGRAM DONE!

I hate it when guys tell me " I DON'T NEED ANY OF THAT FANCY FORCE FETCH STUFF DONE ... I JUST WANT A MEAT DOG THAT WILL GO THE DUCKS I SHOOT!" Brother ... I'm here to tell you ... YES... you can get it done ... IT'S ACTUALLY PRETTY EASY ... hell I've done it with nothing but a Bumper and one of those shoulder fired Bumper shooters ... first Duck the dog picked up was on thier FIRST HUNT ... far as I know they had NEVER EVEN SEEN A REAL DUCK ... alive or dead! Over the years and with each dog I figured out I WANTED SOMETHING MORE IN MY MEAT DOGS!

PRICE is the main reason or worry when it comes to get'n a pup well trained. A good PUPPY MARK PROGRAM that includes Intorduction to WATER and GUNFIRE along with basic YARD OB can prepare your pup to go to a good Pro as it will serve to cut down the TIME it takes them to get to and thru FF! Most of them will NOT tell you this ... and you gotta be careful and know what to look for to make sure the Pro that you select is ACTUALLY DOING WHAT HE CONTRACTED TO DO... but that is another story for another time!

Bottom Line ... NOW is the time to figure out a PUPPY TRAINING PROGRAM for your pup... there are books and the like out there that do go into greater detail on what I just scratched the surface of! Good Luck... YOU CAN DO THIS!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting