New show "Honey Brake Experience"

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New show "Honey Brake Experience"

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Mind you, I pretty much quit watching most duck hunting shows as they are mostly 10,0000% unrealistic - either hunting young, stupid birds in Canada, fresh off the nest, or hunting some honey hole they let rest allllllllllllllllllllllll season until the Prostaffers come down to "hunt" that hole. But, I've been bored and getting that preseason jitter so I've watched a few hunting shows recently.

So, I caught some new show this weekend (maybe new to me as I just switched from Cox to dish) called "Honey Brake Experience. " This episode was a day when all the guides from this outfit got together to hunt. JFC, I thought "Flighway Highway" was bad. These guys are supposedly guides for some big outfit???? I wouldn't be caught dead in their blind. They had one dart where the birds were LOWish, 100% dead off one end of the blind, and EVERY dude was shooting. The camera actually showed a guy in the middle of the blind point his barrel just over his buddy's right shoulder, follow the birds as they flew left, RAISE his gun over his buddy's head, ('cause it was in the way), lower his barrel over his buddy's left shoulder once he passed his head, and shoot!!!!!! ***??? All this while another guy BEHIND him was shooting over his head. I rewound it like 10 times to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw.

THEN, after a dart where they were ribbing each other about their buddys' shooting, one "guide" in particuar ("imitating" his buddy's bad shooting) was literally swiniging his gun, here and there and all over the place with ZERO concern about where his barrel was pointing.This went on for well over a minute. A minute is a LONNNNNNNNG time. I would have clocked the guy by then, after he pointed his gun in my direction more than once.

THEN, since it was such a good day (Iand I assume the guides were limited out), they invited the "behind the scenes guys" to shoot. I saw one new face in the blind with a gun (would have to rewatch the show to see if he even shot) . Meanwhile, all the same guides were still there shooting. They even ended the hunt with the announcement that they "needed one more bird". Well, I'd assume that last bird would be one of the "behind the scenes guy's bird". Last dart....everybody was shooting.

What a disgrace? No wonder we have so many Yahoos doing what Yahoos do. It's shows like these that are killing us. If anybody knows these guys, please feel free to forward my post to them to let them know why I will steer any clients away from their "service".
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Re: New show "Honey Brake Experience"

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:38 pm

LOL well... I know what you are talking about cuz I've watched those clowns in blinds on tv as well, butttt their lodging and cooks are supposed to be awesome :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:46 pm

wanapasaki wrote:LOL well... I know what you are talking about cuz I've watched those clowns in blinds on tv as well, butttt their lodging and cooks are supposed to be awesome :lol3:

Next episode will be Foiles as guest showing us how to collect goose bands in city parks using Wonder bread and BB guns. :no:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:LOL well... I know what you are talking about cuz I've watched those clowns in blinds on tv as well, butttt their lodging and cooks are supposed to be awesome :lol3:

Next episode will be Foiles as guest showing us how to collect goose bands in city parks using Wonder bread and BB guns. :no:

Hahah while using small children as decoys to close the distance :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:

Speaking of that...is he outta jail yet??
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Re: New show

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:21 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:

Speaking of that...is he outta jail yet??

Not only is he out, he is making special appearances all a crossed the country, coming to a cabelas near you! :lol3:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 am

Someone needs to come up with a show to show all the struggles! We all know its not easy as tv shows it. A show needs to show the ethics, tips, decoying of birds, set up and take down, and all the hours of scouting. Plus without all the advertising, even though that's how you make your money to stay on air!

It's easy when it's private and you have someone calling you to tell you the birds are here.... Or even public with a guide.

Plus it's already starting... If you type "duck" into Craigslist you can see all the people trying to be pros and guides. Earlier this year there was a bill that was to make waterfowl guides be licensed but it was put on hold. Personally, I hope they make them get licensed because it should reduce some of the illegitimate people....

It's getting ridiculous!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 am

okduckdude wrote:Someone needs to come up with a show to show all the struggles! We all know its not easy as tv shows it. A show needs to show the ethics, tips, decoying of birds, set up and take down, and all the hours of scouting. Plus without all the advertising, even though that's how you make your money to stay on air!

It's easy when it's private and you have someone calling you to tell you the birds are here.... Or even public with a guide.

Plus it's already starting... If you type "duck" into Craigslist you can see all the people trying to be pros and guides. Earlier this year there was a bill that was to make waterfowl guides be licensed but it was put on hold. Personally, I hope they make them get licensed because it should reduce some of the illegitimate people....

It's getting ridiculous!

Wait till January...Heartland Waterfowl will do just that.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:
okduckdude wrote:Someone needs to come up with a show to show all the struggles! We all know its not easy as tv shows it. A show needs to show the ethics, tips, decoying of birds, set up and take down, and all the hours of scouting. Plus without all the advertising, even though that's how you make your money to stay on air!

It's getting ridiculous!

Wait till January...Heartland Waterfowl will do just that.

Im not all that impressed with Heartland Bowhunter to tell you the truth.... As far as the content is concerned. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy watching it and LOVE the cinematography. Content wise (as far as hunting shows in general) I enjoy Midwest Whitetail.

Also I went to HW's website and from what I could tell the cinematography is only sub par (I'm comparing to Avian X, because in my opinion as far as duck hunting shows/videos it has the best cinematography and second is duck commanders videos, granted i haven't seen the newer DC vids). From watching the trailer I wasn't all that impressed because I did not see many scenes showcasing decoying of birds. If it doesn't make my hair stand up then I'm not impressed, all I saw was trailers, trucks, a dog, horsing around, and guys shooting shotguns into the air (which most likely was a reenactment) and only a few scenes of fowl, most of which were not decoying.

So combine Midwest Whitetail content with Avian X cinematography and you MIGHT, and I mean MIGHT have a good show.

Maybe something like Jim Shockey's The Professionals.....

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby redhead4151 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am

It's getting ridiculous!

Like it or not, a show like that will never work for these TV networks. "You and I" may like it but the masses won't. All they care about is making that dollar.
redhead4151
hunter

Postby JDog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:13 pm

It's getting ridiculous!

I used to watch a show called something like "Do it Yourself Hunting" that was strictly public land hunting. I never saw them do a duck hunting show, but they killed a lot of big game on public land. It was pretty cool and they did a good job of showing the ups and downs of hunting on public land.
JDog
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 am

Most hunting shows are filmed in locations that only the 6 digit incomers can afford to do. The days of hitting up the family friend landowner are over for most of us also. The damn Texans are coming in and buying up all the leases for exploded prices for ducks and deer.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby tangeman86 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:40 pm

It's getting ridiculous!

Check out this video that me and my buddies made a few seasons ago. Trying to get a few more put together just because we love it!

http://vimeo.com/40621952
tangeman86
Newb

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:36 pm

Jerkstring wrote:Most hunting shows are filmed in locations that only the 6 digit incomers can afford to do. The days of hitting up the family friend landowner are over for most of us also. The damn Texans are coming in and buying up all the leases for exploded prices for ducks and deer.

PLENTY of rich Okies doing the same. While it sucks, if I had the money, I'd be doing similar. I don't think any Okie (duck hunter) should EVER complain though. This state has a phenomenal amount of public land oppurtunities (some areas of the state more than others I realize), especially if you hunt via real boat.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:48 pm

tangeman86 wrote:

It's getting ridiculous!

Check out this video that me and my buddies made a few seasons ago. Trying to get a few more put together just because we love it!

http://vimeo.com/40621952

It had great cinematography and it was a lot better than most of the duck hunting shows I have seen on other networks. Heck its better than some of the deer hunting shows. You have one heck of a setup with the air boat rig, i just hope your dogs don't go def. Speaking of that I have only two negatives to say about your video.... 1) your dogs were breaking a lot right after the shot. I wasn't hearing anyone send them, so I only suspect they were breaking and 2) come on black hoodies....... :no: :no:

That being said, I think it was a good duck hunting video, but it could improve with less talking about the details of how you "felt" and more fact intensive on the set up, why you did it this way and how. Additionally, more scenes of ducks/geese decoying and dogs working. For instance, have the sun to your back and work your bird to where you can see the colors of what your shooting at (not just black dots) and slow it down. Let the viewer see the flow of the flight of the birds, it should almost be like a dance, then when all is said and done, play it to normal speed and the dance dies. Same way with the dogs retrieving. Slow it down, let the viewer enjoy the scene. That being said it almost gave me goosebumps.

There are some things that drive us water fowlers nuts (at least for me, feel free to disagree)
1) Watching birds work into a spread and to a call.
2) Watching a good dog retrieve the birds you and buddies have downed.
3) The sunrises and feel of the air
4) The company
5) The work of finding and fooling those suckers!
If you appeal to those things that drive the water fowlers back to the blind, then you will have yourself a GREAT video. Its not all about pulling the trigger and a lot of shows/videos/webisodes purport that it is.

Whew. That was a lot to get out..... I don't say these things to be negative or a nit picker, I say these things because I see great potential with you all. :thumbsup:

okduckdude
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:34 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Mind you, I pretty much quit watching most duck hunting shows as they are mostly 10,0000% unrealistic - either hunting young, stupid birds in Canada, fresh off the nest, or hunting some honey hole they let rest allllllllllllllllllllllll season until the Prostaffers come down to "hunt" that hole. But, I've been bored and getting that preseason jitter so I've watched a few hunting shows recently.

So, I caught some new show this weekend (maybe new to me as I just switched from Cox to dish) called "Honey Brake Experience. " This episode was a day when all the guides from this outfit got together to hunt. JFC, I thought "Flighway Highway" was bad. These guys are supposedly guides for some big outfit???? I wouldn't be caught dead in their blind. They had one dart where the birds were LOWish, 100% dead off one end of the blind, and EVERY dude was shooting. The camera actually showed a guy in the middle of the blind point his barrel just over his buddy's right shoulder, follow the birds as they flew left, RAISE his gun over his buddy's head, ('cause it was in the way), lower his barrel over his buddy's left shoulder once he passed his head, and shoot!!!!!! ***??? All this while another guy BEHIND him was shooting over his head. I rewound it like 10 times to make sure I was seeing what I thought I saw.

THEN, after a dart where they were ribbing each other about their buddys' shooting, one "guide" in particuar ("imitating" his buddy's bad shooting) was literally swiniging his gun, here and there and all over the place with ZERO concern about where his barrel was pointing.This went on for well over a minute. A minute is a LONNNNNNNNG time. I would have clocked the guy by then, after he pointed his gun in my direction more than once.

THEN, since it was such a good day (Iand I assume the guides were limited out), they invited the "behind the scenes guys" to shoot. I saw one new face in the blind with a gun (would have to rewatch the show to see if he even shot) . Meanwhile, all the same guides were still there shooting. They even ended the hunt with the announcement that they "needed one more bird". Well, I'd assume that last bird would be one of the "behind the scenes guy's bird". Last dart....everybody was shooting.

What a disgrace? No wonder we have so many Yahoos doing what Yahoos do. It's shows like these that are killing us. If anybody knows these guys, please feel free to forward my post to them to let them know why I will steer any clients away from their "service".

My original post about how bad these guys are was mainly dealing with SAFETY. It was horrible. Well, before I could delete this show from my recording schedule, another one got recorded, so I watched it to see if it was as bad as the first one. Almost. Saw two scenes illustrating terrible safety in the blind. First scene, the actual shooting wasn't caught on camera, but after the shooting (single duck) they filmed the guy in the middle of the blind explaining why he "froze" and didn't shoot at the bird. He basically said that he got up, aimed, but "froze" when he noticed/caught sight of his buddy's gun barrel off to his side; while describing this (freezing due to the gun barrel suddenly appearing) he physically scrunched his head/neck and squinted his eyes (I assume because he was expecting getting his ear rung).

Later on, they showed a dart, similar to in the first episode I described, where the birds were ALL directly off one end of the blind. Though the footage ending of that dart barely showed the guys in the blind shooting, it showed this same guy (in the middle of the blind) pretty much ducking back and under the roof of the blind because the guy next to him was shooting damn close OVER his head. NOTE: the offensive shooter this time was not the same guy as the first one, but the guy on the OTHER side of this poor dude who had to sit in between these slobs. (And one of these slobs was the main guide for the hunt).

Again, JFC!! Throughout this thread, and many past ones about what we all dislike about "hunting shows", we voice our opinions about what we each think makes a good show, which is a good topic. But, damn, these guys are gonna kill somebody one day. How STUPID are they that they can't even edit out footage of pointing/SHOOTING guns inches of somebody' else's head?

Sorry for the soapbox, but REALLY am interested if anybody else is seing what I am?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 pm

It's in a lot of the shows these days.... It pisses me off too, but I've learned that if it happens in my blind it won't happen again because they are out. I cannot control what happens on tv so I don't get too upset.

But you do have a valid point because so many watch these people and think that's really how it is....

okduckdude
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting