Teal Hunting

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Teal Hunting

Postby DucknGoodTime » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Nothing to get excited about maybe 10 on 3 different spots on different days.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby JDog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Saw zero teal this morning and only a 7 pack of Canadas.
JDog
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Well I'm going to give it one more scout in the morning,I guess it would be good to see what the weather will be like all week above us.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:15 pm

I haven't seen the first one yet, nothing like last yr
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 am

Saw one small group, nothing to get excited about. Local biologist said he hasn't seen many and teal season doesn't look promising unless we get cold weather. Not to mention the WDU's are not flooded. Looks like we will be chasing geese next weekend.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:50 am

Saw 2 large groups of teal last weekend. Haven't seen many geese though.
coach_1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 am

What's with the COE dropping all the lake levels so much? Good grief. We had all that water and they've been dumping it all out over the last couple weeks. The lake I may be hunting next weekend could be BELOW normal. :no:
We're gonna be in serious trouble if we don't get a good amount of rain before the regular season opener.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:22 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:What's with the COE dropping all the lake levels so much? Good grief. We had all that water and they've been dumping it all out over the last couple weeks. The lake I may be hunting next weekend could be BELOW normal. :no:
We're gonna be in serious trouble if we don't get a good amount of rain before the regular season opener.

Generally because the #1 reason all the lakes were created was for flood control. Though still below average, all our rainfall this spring/early summer put most lakes above the regular pool level. They release water for various reasons, mostly to manage lake level relative to flood control measures and/or to generate electricity. The lakes are not, I repeat NOT, generally managed for recreation of any means. Recreation is kinda far down the list. Another key thing to keep in mind is that all these lakes were built with a 50 year design use in mind, and they were built longer than 50 years ago. I'm NOT saying a 50 year lifespan; yes, the lakes/dams are safe, but with any aging infrastructure, one needs to monitor, maintain, and maybe be conservative. In this case, being conservative means maintaining water levels at or maybe under conservation pool so as to not put any undo (unneeded stress) on the dam.

Years ago (decades?) the Corps used to work with ODWC and manage some/more lakes in growing millett each year (Kaw is the only lake this is still done on). Those days are gone because drastically lowering then raising lake levels simply isn't in the best interest anymore on the aging infrastructure. Sucks getting old.

AGAIN, the dams are safe. Knowing they are past their original design use, the Corps has since long ago been monitoring and assessing them. I'm over 50 years old, in relative good health (Hades, I can run circles around some of these young bucks who hunt with me), and plan to be around for a lot longer. But the high school football days of tackle football are over. Time to keep doing the job, but maybe switch to flag football...................or maybe just watch the game.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Forecast on several channels/outlets shows some type of front moving throughThursdayiish. Sat/Sun looking to be a high temp below 90 at least. As usual, I plan on doing zero scouting for teal. They will either be there at my spot or they won't regardless of what I see the day before.

I personally think a buttwad of BWT may move on this minor front as it has been so warm and frontless so far this late summer. I don't think hardly any have migrated so far (based on reports and what I've seen on my dove/rail hunts)..........so I think this front will move a lot of birds. Now whether any are around in OK come Saturday???????????????

Good luck to all
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:What's with the COE dropping all the lake levels so much? Good grief. We had all that water and they've been dumping it all out over the last couple weeks. The lake I may be hunting next weekend could be BELOW normal. :no:

Generally because the #1 reason all the lakes were created was for flood control. Though still below average, all our rainfall this spring/early summer put most lakes above the regular pool level. They release water for various reasons, mostly to manage lake level relative to flood control measures and/or to generate electricity. The lakes are not, I repeat NOT, generally managed for recreation of any means. Recreation is kinda far down the list. Another key thing to keep in mind is that all these lakes were built with a 50 year design use in mind, and they were built longer than 50 years ago. I'm NOT saying a 50 year lifespan; yes, the lakes/dams are safe, but with any aging infrastructure, one needs to monitor, maintain, and maybe be conservative. In this case, being conservative means maintaining water levels at or maybe under conservation pool so as to not put any undo (unneeded stress) on the dam.

Years ago (decades?) the Corps used to work with ODWC and manage some/more lakes in growing millett each year (Kaw is the only lake this is still done on). Those days are gone because drastically lowering then raising lake levels simply isn't in the best interest anymore on the aging infrastructure. Sucks getting old.

AGAIN, the dams are safe. Knowing they are past their original design use, the Corps has since long ago been monitoring and assessing them. I'm over 50 years old, in relative good health (Hades, I can run circles around some of these young bucks who hunt with me), and plan to be around for a lot longer. But the high school football days of tackle football are over. Time to keep doing the job, but maybe switch to flag football...................or maybe just watch the game.

I've known what their priorities are, but it has been dry as a bone for the last few weeks, and the forecast is the same. I just don't see the point of dropping them all the way down to normal with the weather conditions lately.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:03 am

When I was out this morning, lake was actually getting some inflow, I could tell by the debris floating around. Either some water was let out upstream last night, or the COE charts/readings are off/behind schedule.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:When I was out this morning, lake was actually getting some inflow, I could tell by the debris floating around. Either some water was let out upstream last night, or the COE charts/readings are off/behind schedule.

Thanks for reminding me of another "tidbit" to discuss on "why are they letting all the water out?" Some (and I know not all) of these lakea are on river systems that have multiple lakes/dams. While OK may be getting zero precipitation, upstream lakes/watersheds may be forecast (or actually get) a ton of rain. Can't keep Lake Whatever full, knowing there is a 80% chance that 6 gazillion gallons of water may be flowing down the pike from some watershed 3 states away in a day or two.

There really is a LOT to what goes on in managing those lakes. I don't know a twentieth of it, but working in close proximity to the guys who do, I hear a lot about it. And not all of it makes sense to me either. I do know those guys take a beating. I personally LOVE to harass a few of them I know well. Love to leave voicemails, or emails to them whining about water levels being too high or low and they are killing my duck hunting, yada, yada, yada.

As a final semi-ironic point to make, from a duck hunter point of view. It's funny how many calls we get from whiny duck hunters crying that we are letting all the water out after we FINALLY got some water, AND, at the same time it's funny how many calls we get from whiny duck hunters crying that they can't plant their millet (or whatever duck bait) because the water is too high.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:52 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:When I was out this morning, lake was actually getting some inflow, I could tell by the debris floating around. Either some water was let out upstream last night, or the COE charts/readings are off/behind schedule.

Thanks for reminding me of another "tidbit" to discuss on "why are they letting all the water out?" Some (and I know not all) of these lakea are on river systems that have multiple lakes/dams. While OK may be getting zero precipitation, upstream lakes/watersheds may be forecast (or actually get) a ton of rain. Can't keep Lake Whatever full, knowing there is a 80% chance that 6 gazillion gallons of water may be flowing down the pike from some watershed 3 states away in a day or two.

There really is a LOT to what goes on in managing those lakes. I don't know a twentieth of it, but working in close proximity to the guys who do, I hear a lot about it. And not all of it makes sense to me either. I do know those guys take a beating. I personally LOVE to harass a few of them I know well. Love to leave voicemails, or emails to them whining about water levels being too high or low and they are killing my duck hunting, yada, yada, yada.

As a final semi-ironic point to make, from a duck hunter point of view. It's funny how many calls we get from whiny duck hunters crying that we are letting all the water out after we FINALLY got some water, AND, at the same time it's funny how many calls we get from whiny duck hunters crying that they can't plant their millet (or whatever duck bait) because the water is too high.

I haven't looked at the forecast/precipitation for farther north, so I could've overlooked that. With the conditions I saw this morning, should be in at least decent-good shape on Saturday.

The part about complaining about not being able to plant their millet is very interesting (since we're talking COE waterways). I thought that was the state's job only? Pretty sure planting stuff on public land, regardless of being native, "productive/constructive" or not, is illegal or frowned upon at the very least. I would think it would classify as artificially altering the ecosystem or something like that. Although I will not complain about the millet that has most likely been transplanted by human in the area I hunt.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:17 pm

I'm getting a bit nervous about that front. It keep getting pushed back and looks even weaker now... hopefully it'll be enough to get some birds on the move
petrotk40
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:42 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:The part about complaining about not being able to plant their millet is very interesting (since we're talking COE waterways). I thought that was the state's job only? Pretty sure planting stuff on public land, regardless of being native, "productive/constructive" or not, is illegal or frowned upon at the very least. I would think it would classify as artificially altering the ecosystem or something like that. Although I will not complain about the millet that has most likely been transplanted by human in the area I hunt.

That's an interesting topic also. I believe you are correct in that it is the state's job to plant the millet. I truthfully have no idea what the "law" is regarding individuals planting on federal land??? I lean towards it being permissable to a certain degree. I do know for a fact that "somewhere in the state" it was/is not an uncommon practice for whoever the guy in charge of planting for some lake(s) has given seed to private individuals to plant on same respective lake AS LONG AS the seed was planted in public accessable areas. I do not know how widespread this practice is or if it continues?

Also just where COE property ends regarding shoreline can be gray. I know there is some legal description of this based on "so may yards away from shoreline , or elevation height at yada pool, yada, yada, yada?" Not much of an issue on steep banks where 3 feet of additional water encroaches inland 10 or 20 feet. But, we all know areas on lakes where that same 3 feet can flood a LOT of area (COE or private property????)

I also believe that even though we all see "State Management Area" on the various maps for COE lakes, I believe that land is still federal land, not state (owned) land. I think the feds have some type of agreement, lease arangement, whatever with the state whereby the state is being allowed to use/manage the land, but, it is still technically federal (COE) property. Again, this is a topic I may be talking out my backside? I base this on: 15 or 20 years ago, I ran into deep discussions regarding this issue based on differing deer regs on COE vs state management land on the same COE lake. VERY hot topic back then.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:46 pm

petrotk40 wrote:I'm getting a bit nervous about that front. It keep getting pushed back and looks even weaker now... hopefully it'll be enough to get some birds on the move

Doesn't take much of a front at all to move them sissy BWT. Still, the bigger the front the better. I have faith Saturday is gonna be a quick hunt.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:16 pm

I am going a little non-Speck standards this Saturday. I have decided to go with only six mallards and six teal decoys.

I typically use multi dozen decs so definitely out of my comfort zone. Will also try a pond instead of big water.

Will see if it works.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I am going a little non-Speck standards this Saturday. I have decided to go with only six mallards and six teal decoys.

I typically use multi dozen decs so definitely out of my comfort zone. Will also try a pond instead of big water.

Will see if it works.

If any teal are around, and fly by your pond, I'm betting you'll be shooting.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:31 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:I also believe that even though we all see "State Management Area" on the various maps for COE lakes, I believe that land is still federal land, not state (owned) land. I think the feds have some type of agreement, lease arangement, whatever with the state whereby the state is being allowed to use/manage the land, but, it is still technically federal (COE) property. Again, this is a topic I may be talking out my backside? I base this on: 15 or 20 years ago, I ran into deep discussions regarding this issue based on differing deer regs on COE vs state management land on the same COE lake. VERY hot topic back then.

I normally use the maps the COE provides on their website, unless I need something more zoomed in and detailed. The COE land vs State land seems to be pretty well defined on their maps, at least the ones I have used.

I do know that the duck blind permit system is managed by the state, and unfortunately I found out last season that the COE gives the ODWC jurisdiction over some corps land, or at least on the lake I hunt, to allow people to build blinds there. I knew they gave the ODWC jurisdiction to regulate and enforce the laws on corps land, but did not know about the blinds until last season.
Do not even get me started on that topic, that "issue" pisses me off so much. :no: The way the state "manages" (hell, "manage" isn't even an accurate word for what they do) that system is a complete joke.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:I also believe that even though we all see "State Management Area" on the various maps for COE lakes, I believe that land is still federal land, not state (owned) land. I think the feds have some type of agreement, lease arangement, whatever with the state whereby the state is being allowed to use/manage the land, but, it is still technically federal (COE) property. Again, this is a topic I may be talking out my backside? I base this on: 15 or 20 years ago, I ran into deep discussions regarding this issue based on differing deer regs on COE vs state management land on the same COE lake. VERY hot topic back then.

I normally use the maps the COE provides on their website, unless I need something more zoomed in and detailed. The COE land vs State land seems to be pretty well defined on their maps, at least the ones I have used.

I do know that the duck blind permit system is managed by the state, and unfortunately I found out last season that the COE gives the ODWC jurisdiction over some corps land, or at least on the lake I hunt, to allow people to build blinds there. I knew they gave the ODWC jurisdiction to regulate and enforce the laws on corps land, but did not know about the blinds until last season.
Do not even get me started on that topic, that "issue" pisses me off so much. :no: The way the state "manages" (hell, "manage" isn't even an accurate word for what they do) that system is a complete joke.

Your quote (above) all relates to my post about the COE letting the state manage/lease/"whatever the agreement is" to certain federal lands. VERY convoluted the way the system(s) work??????????????? Hey, I'm pretty much a "by the book" hunter. Because different countries, states, counties, WMAs may have their own specific regulations.........if I have ANY doubt about a law or regulation, I contact local wardens, state/federal authorities, etc to try to get the "law" in black and white. It is VERY frustrating when you ask the simple question "Can I legally do this at this X on the map", and NONE of the suppossed authorities will answer you. Notice I say "will not" and not "can not". There is a lot of BS politics and anamosity betweed state entities, federal entities, and even game wardens going on regarding this issue.

Am very curious as to your story regarding your quote:
"and unfortunately I found out last season that the COE gives the ODWC jurisdiction over some corps land, or at least on the lake I hunt, to allow people to build blinds there"
PM me your story and I'll PM you mine. Or maybe we should start our own thread after teal season about this topic.

Sorry Y'all for threadjacking.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby ErieAngler » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 pm

So teal..... Where are all the teal??? I'm thinking hard about just going dove hunting but I'd much rather put a few teal on the menu :thumbsup: . I'm thinking about taking my chances and going in blind but its a hellova lot of work without having a clue if any will be there. Decisions, decisions, decisions....
ErieAngler
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:58 pm

ErieAngler wrote:So teal..... Where are all the teal??? I'm thinking hard about just going dove hunting but I'd much rather put a few teal on the menu :thumbsup: . I'm thinking about taking my chances and going in blind but its a hellova lot of work without having a clue if any will be there. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

If the water level is workable, setting up in a flight path that has been proven in the past would be a good idea. Basically what my plan is, although it has been tweaked a bit since I scouted this morning (found some teal food). Hopefully more birds will arrive later this week.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:

Your quote (above) all relates to my post about the COE letting the state manage/lease/"whatever the agreement is" to certain federal lands. VERY convoluted the way the system(s) work??????????????? Hey, I'm pretty much a "by the book" hunter. Because different countries, states, counties, WMAs may have their own specific regulations.........if I have ANY doubt about a law or regulation, I contact local wardens, state/federal authorities, etc to try to get the "law" in black and white. It is VERY frustrating when you ask the simple question "Can I legally do this at this X on the map", and NONE of the suppossed authorities will answer you. Notice I say "will not" and not "can not". There is a lot of BS politics and anamosity betweed state entities, federal entities, and even game wardens going on regarding this issue.

Am very curious as to your story regarding your quote:
"and unfortunately I found out last season that the COE gives the ODWC jurisdiction over some corps land, or at least on the lake I hunt, to allow people to build blinds there"
PM me your story and I'll PM you mine. Or maybe we should start our own thread after teal season about this topic.

Sorry Y'all for threadjacking.

I think I was unclear, I was referring specifically to the blind system when I was talking about being pissed off. Haven't had any issues with boundaries or laws, yet.
Sent PM though.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:22 am

This year has definitely got me baffled. With water levels up everywhere, my usual spots won't be as prime. Add the fact i haven't been seeing many birds and you got me stressed this opening weekend. Friday I will scout an area that SHOULD hold birds, but the fact is the birds have to be here to hold. I need to split into 3 different people and scout areas that morning, but the fact is I can only be one place at one time..... :no: :no:

I don't even care if I limit out (considering the limit has risen). Needless to say, its here boys, lets cut em. :grooving: :grooving:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby Duxndog » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:33 pm

I have scouted several areas between today and yesterday. Haven't seen one teal yet. Heard a good time on where some might be...Will be checking that "AREA" Thursday and Friday. If I still find nothing I will be running the "Big River" as a last resort.
Check out my Outdoor Blog at http://strictlyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Duxndog
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting