New to duck hunting

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New to duck hunting

Postby Gord5742 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:48 am

Hey fellas, I am looking to get my feet wet this year and try my hand at some duck hunting. I wont pretend to even know what I am doing but I live in Norman and am a Senior at OU. I wrestled for the past three years here and due to a hip injury I can't wrestle anymore so am on medical disability. (I walk and move around just fine just can't hold up to a college season). Anyway I know I can hunt Lake Thunderbird but heard it is usually pretty tough. I have a boat and am really just looking for any advice I can get. Thanks in advance its much appreciated.
Gord5742
Newb

Re: New to duck hunting

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:46 am

scout the lake using your boat, set up where you see them the next morning
petrotk40
hunter

Postby cole1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Put out decoys, Hide well, and obey the hunting regulations...
cole1
hunter

Postby Nerdwick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Gord shoot me a PM.... I dont mind hunting with new people.
Nerdwick
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:07 pm

My advice would be to talk to as many people as you can about hunting. The more connections you make and the people you befriend, the faster you will grow as a hunter. Knowing people that can give you a scouting report for a general area can save you tons of money. I don't know how many times I'd pick said wma and went to my hole to find out there weren't even birds in the area. Not that I had a bad hole, but that I wasn't in the right area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 pm

When I moved out to this side of the state, I bought the ODWC atlas, filled the tank and worked my way out until I found "my spot". I did that and now have several great spots on a few lakes over the years. My main advice is don't feel like you have to stay close to Norman. Get away from the metro and you will be golden as compared to eastern OK, the duck hunting pressure is a lot lighter from what I have seen.

Good luck and be safe.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Specklebelly wrote:When I moved out to this side of the state, I bought the ODWC atlas, filled the tank and worked my way out until I found "my spot". I did that and now have several great spots on a few lakes over the years. My main advice is don't feel like you have to stay close to Norman. Get away from the metro and you will be golden as compared to eastern OK, the duck hunting pressure is a lot lighter from what I have seen.

Good luck and be safe.

Put in plenty of windshield time/time on the water, and make friends. I still do a lot of the former in order to keep up with what's going on with the numbers and habitat, and having the right friends has also helped tremendously. The relationship with some members on here (insert gay joke here) has ended up being much more than just duck hunting, which has been a great bonus.

Speck, I ordered an atlas and it arrived yesterday, should come in handy. I usually end up viewing maps online and on my phone but you can't beat a detailed hard copy.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:24 am

Get a trained duck dog. Everyone loves the guy that has a good retriever, you will get more invites than you can shake a stick at!

Also meet other guys that like the sport. Banquets, meetings, and events are great ways to do that. Heck even blind drawings.

Here are also some friendly tips:
1) don't steal spots, guys that take you somewhere do so out of the confidence you would blab about the area and won't go without them.

2) learn to blow a duck call. I mean blow it pretty well, if you can't, learn to use a whistle.

3) What ever you do, the most important of all of these is not to skybust. Shoot birds that are well within range.

4) If you must use technology, do so quietly. You do not want to be known as an Internet scouter.

5) Early morning rural coffee shops can be your best friend.

6) Always make sure your dog eats after the hunt before you do. The dog works harder than you, without him you would be going into frigid water getting all your ducks and chasing cripples.

7) One must know their shooting lanes and stick to them. No one wants to feel the compression kick in their face when you cross into the guy's next to you.

8) Don't just toss your ducks, eat them, they are tasty. If you don't like them stop shooting them.

9) Match your spread to what you see.

10) Be ethical and safe.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:48 am

One important one is if someone invites you to their spot. ...BRING BREAKFAST! Don't be afraid to pm any guys on here a question(besides spots) if your eager and willing to learn most are willing to teach
sooner737
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm

okduckdude wrote:Get a trained duck dog. Everyone loves the guy that has a good retriever, you will get more invites than you can shake a stick at!

I am NOT arguing against dogs, but I just totally disagree to advise a noob who has never hunted to get one; I don't think it's fair to the dog :lol3: Let a noob get a season or two under his belt to decide if he even wants to duck hunt first. We've all seen tons of noobs every year who never return again. And the noobs that have dogs??????? Have you ever seen one that was worth even letting out of the truck?

Once a noob has a season or two under his/her belt and seriouslly wants to hunt, then there are plenty of good dog guys here to help and give sound advice.

Shock collars will be lesson 1
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
okduckdude wrote:Get a trained duck dog. Everyone loves the guy that has a good retriever, you will get more invites than you can shake a stick at!

I am NOT arguing against dogs, but I just totally disagree to advise a noob who has never hunted to get one; I don't think it's fair to the dog :lol3: Let a noob get a season or two under his belt to decide if he even wants to duck hunt first. We've all seen tons of noobs every year who never return again. And the noobs that have dogs??????? Have you ever seen one that was worth even letting out of the truck?

Once a noob has a season or two under his/her belt and seriouslly wants to hunt, then there are plenty of good dog guys here to help and give sound advice.

Shock collars will be lesson 1

I agree 100%

I should have been more specific. Therefore, please disregard my previous comment about a dog until you have a season or two or more under your belt.

See guys, I'm wrong sometimes and admit my faults lol

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Shock collars will be lesson 1

Lmao.
Whatever you do, whether you know what you're doing with the shock collar or not, do not post about it on DHC. There are some sensitive people on here who will freak out.
So far I have trained 2 dogs, used a shock collar for part of the training. Results for both dogs ended up being positive and it was/is a very useful tool. Still got grilled on here when I posted about the first one.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:42 pm

I prefer 2x4 over the shock collar. :biggrin: Just kidding all so no nasty PMs please.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby tealtime » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Some great advice. I am no expert dog handler but I handle a dog that DW tolerates, most of the time at least. If you are new to hunting and hunt with a crew that uses a retriever, make sure you always know where that dog is and see what the handler is doing with him or her. Seems obvious but, especially when new, folks can get some tunnel vision and not see a dog taking a line and a horrible accident can happen when a new hunter is trying to finish a cripple etc. Granted, dog shouldn't break but hey, it happens. I'd just chat briefly with the dog's handler prior to legal and you'd be good to go.
tealtime
hunter

Postby Gord5742 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I appreciate all the advice and definitely know what you mean about not robbing people's spots. I am from Florida and do some inshore guiding and there is nothing worse than takin someone out and showing up the next day to find them cruising through your fishing area. Ill be sure to make sure I understand the regs. Thanks again.
Gord5742
Newb

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 pm

tealtime wrote:Some great advice. I am no expert dog handler but I handle a dog that DW tolerates, most of the time at least. If you are new to hunting and hunt with a crew that uses a retriever, make sure you always know where that dog is and see what the handler is doing with him or her. Seems obvious but, especially when new, folks can get some tunnel vision and not see a dog taking a line and a horrible accident can happen when a new hunter is trying to finish a cripple etc. Granted, dog shouldn't break but hey, it happens. I'd just chat briefly with the dog's handler prior to legal and you'd be good to go.

The ideal outcome/procedure would be to have a steady dog first of all. After the birds fall, do not send the dog until everyone is satisfied swatting all the cripples. It's safer, saves a lot of time, increases the # of recovered birds.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 pm

tealtime wrote:Some great advice. I am no expert dog handler but I handle a dog that DW tolerates, most of the time at least. ......

:no: :no: :no: I LOVE "yellow dog". It's YOU I tolerate. TT, you make it too easy :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I have made sure that my dog is steady to the shot! Not only for killing cripples but many times I've had birds come in after I've already shot at a group and are reloading.

I was watching a YouTube video made by some user on this forum and his dogs were breaking every time.... VERY DANGEROUS I cringed every time

okduckdude
hunter

Postby tealtime » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Shoveler shooter, I agree 100 percent that is the ideal outcome. Thats what we train for and in the blind hope for. However, as you know, not always reality. I'Ive hunted with some decent dogs that will break from time to time or do something unexpected. Heck, ive hunted with people that do that! Everyone trains their dog to be steady to shot and prepared to correct if not. My only point is that a new hunter should expect that a dog may break and be ready to react to that. If all a new hunter knows is watching retriever trials and dogs that never break, he/she may not be aware that it is a possibility. Plus, the tunnel vision thing. Just thought I'd bring it up to try to avoid a bad accident.
tealtime
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting