SI article about OSU

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

SI article about OSU

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Anyone read this?
Seemed like it could be true at first, but after thinking about it more, and seeing a ton of former OSU players (who didn't get kicked off the team for violations) speak out, looks like it's bogus. 4 more articles are supposed to be released from tomorrow to next Tuesday....not looking good for SI in my opinion, after the reaction to today's article. I'm surprised this even got published. Unless some credible information turns up in the following articles, OSU is gonna have a field day suing them.
Cash being distributed left and right, in the postgame locker room, while the media is around, doesn't get ignored for 10 years and randomly discovered again.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: SI article about OSU

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Seeing as the main writer and investigator for this story has 1. previously been fired from the new york times for lying in articles and 2. Using quotes that players didnt say and 3. being a notorious OSU hater... I dont think a single word of it will stick. He only interviewed people that left the university on bad terms ( aka kicked off for drugs/grades) They didnt interview one single person that is an outstanding individual. People like russell Okung, Brandon Weeden, Kendall Hunter, and Brandon Pettigrew werent even contacted. It just doesnt add up.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 pm

All I can say is I feel your pain. A negative media onslaught is rough
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Some of it is just retarded. A booster paid $200 to William Bell (name I've never heard of) to fish for catfish at his house?

Again, I don't see how this made it. A writer with a hard on for talking trash about OSU uses former players dismissed from the team for drug and/or academic violations, dead people (one who he claims owned rental homes, but didn't), and a businessman with no name mentioned, as his sources. I did a little research of my own and he just outright lied about some of this stuff.
This guy needs to serve some time in jail. The media simply doesn't get held accountable for anything they say.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:03 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:The media simply doesn't get held accountable for anything they say.

haha I've said that so many through the whole Johnny Manziel saga. The media is all about entertainment and 'clicks', there is no repercussions for shoddy reporting and treating opinion as fact. No one vets anything anymore... they get a lead, throw something together and see if it sticks.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

petrotk40 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:The media simply doesn't get held accountable for anything they say.

haha I've said that so many through the whole Johnny Manziel saga. The media is all about entertainment and 'clicks', there is no repercussions for shoddy reporting and treating opinion as fact. No one vets anything anymore... they get a lead, throw something together and see if it sticks.

Yep, it appears that it's no different for this one, which is why they are releasing it in 5 different segments.
But like I said, sounds like they're just asking to get sued. Especially when the academic part comes out, about the professors altering players' grades. I'm not buying that one at all. Definitely gonna be interesting.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I can kind of believe the grades thing. Dez Bryant couldn't get into any school around, somehow gets into OSU and then proceeds to become academic all big 12? that doesn't pass the smell test.
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm

petrotk40 wrote:I can kind of believe the grades thing. Dez Bryant couldn't get into any school around, somehow gets into OSU and then proceeds to become academic all big 12? that doesn't pass the smell test.

I have a pretty good idea of what the general attitude is of the professors at OSU, they are definitely not the type that blindly supports the football team. A lot of them couldn't care less about football (not much tradition in the program, other than Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas years, therefore most of the professors were hired when the football team sucked). But maybe if someone connected with the football program got into the system and altered them, I guess that is possible. I still doubt it though.
Now on the prostitution article, I have no idea about that one, part of it might turn out true lol.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:21 pm

petrotk40 wrote:I can kind of believe the grades thing. Dez Bryant couldn't get into any school around, somehow gets into OSU and then proceeds to become academic all big 12? that doesn't pass the smell test.

This.... Plus our friend from the past Dexter Manley.

I am by no way an OSU fan, however I do cheer for them some of the time. With that said, I think they did get the shaft on the article. Listening to sports radio today has put me on the Pokes side for the $$$ article.

I do think the other articles could have some validity, but no way on the $$.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:34 pm

Obviously my thoughts will be regarded as an ou homer with his crimson colored glasses drinkin the ou kool aid but here I go.
I am not an osu hater by any means. I only want them to lose 1 game a year. As for the article....I hope SI has some real substance to back this. I would assume they would before shelling out a 5 part story just ripping osu. Id like to hear the telephone call.
The sex.....big deal this goes on everywhere! As long as nothing was forced or money paid to the girls I don't give 2 sh!ts!
The academics....see dexter manley.....dont make it true now but we will see what si throws out there.
The money.....no Brandon Weeden nor any other stand up guy got money bc according to SI it was generally the ones asking for it which shouts thug which may explain leaving the team on a sour note?

Bottom line let's see where it goes. Hard to question a "pulitzer award winner" and "hugo award" nominee

Some is prob true....some is prob made up but I doubt si would risk writing this with no credible evidence
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:48 pm

The only thing I see that could've happened with the academics is someone with the football program got into the system and altered stuff themselves....I will be very surprised if a professor is actually connected to it.

Maybe there will be some substance in the next 4, but they scored a flat zero with the first one. Every single allegation appears to be complete BS. You would think they would've released some of their best information in the first article. Now anyone that's done a bit of research, or thought critically, knows that this one was a joke and will bring that mindset to the table while reading the next 4.

If they're gonna go back that far to try and dig up mud, I think they'd be a lot better off trying LSU, Alabama, somewhere like that. Since Gundy took over OSU has been one of the cleaner programs in the nation. Unless some of this stuff turns out to be true, which I doubt.
sooner737 wrote:Hard to question a "pulitzer award winner" and "hugo award" nominee

Obama was handed the Nobel Peace Prize, so I would take that with a big grain of salt. :lol3:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Haha TOUCHE my friend. Like I said is this possible? Yes. All true? doubtful. Im standing behind the pokes until I see substance instead of circumstantial.
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:45 pm

sooner737 wrote:Haha TOUCHE my friend. Like I said is this possible? Yes. All true? doubtful. Im standing behind the pokes until I see substance instead of circumstantial.

I admit I consider myself a "fan" of OSU football, will be attending for 2 years starting in January for the rest of my degree, but I am by no means a "diehard" fan, and when they lose to OU, a bowl game, or whatever, it has very, very little effect on my day and my life for that matter. What a group of college athletes do, does not have the bearing on my life as it does for some other people. :lol3: But I do like watching football and playing it, as any normal Okie does.
If some of this stuff does turn out to be true I will be a little disappointed but hey, completely out of my control so I don't worry about it. The bottom line is I am simply amazed at what the media is allowed to publish, especially when it's an outright lie, like Kay Norris paying $700 for a player to move a Christmas tree out of one of her rental houses. She never even owned a rental house. :fingerhead:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm

I personally get my rocks off listening to the sports animal. The gooner fans being typical gooner fans and the aggie fans being aggie fans. Makes my commute entertaining.
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:25 pm

sooner737 wrote:I personally get my rocks off listening to the sports animal. The gooner fans being typical gooner fans and the aggie fans being aggie fans. Makes my commute entertaining.

Some of the jokes aimed toward each side are pretty damn funny. Apparently the OSU campus is having water problems right now, looks nasty, which made me immediately think of the Stoolwater term OU fans use (instead of Stillwater).
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 pm

I read it and like everyone else found it to be ridiculous. I'm awaiting the full article as it comes out this week...

Don't even get me stared on all the "rules" that NCAA imposes and is the main thrust behind these allegations.. In short, I hate the NCAA's rules on a majority of things.. (Talking about players and kickbacks, not being able to take allergy meds without jumping through hoops, and other things of that nature)
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:15 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
sooner737 wrote:I personally get my rocks off listening to the sports animal. The gooner fans being typical gooner fans and the aggie fans being aggie fans. Makes my commute entertaining.

Some of the jokes aimed toward each side are pretty damn funny. Apparently the OSU campus is having water problems right now, looks nasty, which made me immediately think of the Stoolwater term OU fans use (instead of Stillwater).

Dad called me up Sunday after watching the ou game (hes also a sooner fan) and told the ole "moms vacuum wasn't workin....slapped an ou sticker on it and it started sucking again"
sooner737
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm an 06 grad of OSU and I'm as big of a homer as anyone. That being said, the author of the article is a OU homer. Now I'm not denying that rules were not broken, but here's his chance to make a name for himself and take down his rival school at the same time. I had several classes with a one of the deceased players mentioned in the article and other players not mentioned in the article. I would be shocked if these allegations are true. They were on time and did not skip class. Also, most of the professors there do not like the football program because of the money that gets dumped into it and not into their department and they griped that sports take away class time so I would be surprised if they changed grades. I also called a couple of the Orange Pride girls I knew from my time at OSU and they were as shocked as anyone. They said they were never asked to do anything sexual or illegal. I just think its funny that all his sources were disgruntled former players.

I'm not going to say all this is false. I will say that I think rules have been broken over the past 12 or so years. We would also be crazy to say OSU is the only one breaking rules. So, lets wait and get all the information and hear both sides. The truth will be somewhere in between. Going to be an interesting week.
coach_1
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:13 pm

I guarantee you that Johnny Football is sitting back relaxing because he is not the center of attention. At least for now.
coach_1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:22 am

I don't know about making a name for himself. Guys a pulitzer prize winner which is a huge deal in journalism. Yes ok Obama lol but hes still got a name. Coach I graduated with a group of friends that went to osu. 06' I heard countless times about a certain female having sex with more football players than any groupie! Obviously this is circumstantial but the sources are people your brother would consider credible.....of course she may of just been a big o skuzz bag just like high school :biggrin:
sooner737
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 am

Thayer Evans did most of the research. Dohrmann used Evans research to write the article. I'm not denying that rules were not broken.
coach_1
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 am

Attractive girls have sex with football players in college? That is shocking. :hammer:

I hate to say it but this happens at 100% of the schools. Maybe not BYU but you get my point.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am

I just finished reading the second article. All i can say is WOW. Subsequently I read an article "how sausage is made" in the Tulsa World. If all is true in the Tulsa World, Evans will be hit hard potentially with a libel or defamation lawsuit.

A few thoughts on the article and on these issues as well. 1) If these professors were giving these grades, that is at their discretion and should reflect on the ethics and integrity of the professor. Not the football program. 2) Tutors may aid in the academic accomplishment to help further the horizons, but I do not believe that any papers were actually being written for them. However, their may have been one or two, I'm not saying its completely bogus, but I do think the allegations that are put forth are highly unlikely. 3) For each of these allegations, this journalist should have either a) recorded with tape recording b) had a signed copy of the notes taken of the conversations (or an actual affidavit) c) video recordings of the players.

Evans has shown no credibility to his name (ya ya ya he won some trophy) nor has he shown any actual proof or evidence in these allegations. All he has shown is heresay.

What he is trying to do is skew the facts and play on peoples emotions... Wow not surprised by that with him being a journalist. (Not saying all journalist are like that)
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 am

coach_1 wrote:I guarantee you that Johnny Football is sitting back relaxing because he is not the center of attention. At least for now.

you betcha. Although CBS has a "Johnny cam" planned for Saturday's game
petrotk40
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:03 am

OSU 2....SI 0. The 3rd better have some good stuff or this will get ugly!
sooner737
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting