Dicks

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Dicks

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Just went in there to help my buddy pick out some shells for resident goose this weekend. A guy a few years younger than me walks over and asks if we need help and I say "oh just gettin some goose loads, I thknk we are good. thanks though". And I hand my buddy some #2's. I am no expert on geese but I have killed a few, usually with #4s that I was using for ducks. I picked 2's thinking they would be fine for OK residents and if he didn't use them all he could use them for ducks later. The guy tells me those are way to small and he never hunts geese with anything less than BBs. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that a resident goose is smaller than than the greaters we see migrating later in the season, and I told him this. SO basically he told me how he has been hunting for 4 years now and blah blah blah. Instead of trying to argue I just took his advice, bought NO shells and left.

Am I wrong thinking the residents are a bit smaller and that #2's are a bad load? I have never chased geese specifically but this is what I have gathered from listening to other guys.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: Dicks

Postby garmater » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:21 pm

All we shoot is #2 for everything ducks and geese I even shot cranes with them last year.
Those areant just any ducks those are dirty ducks.
Dirty Duck Mafia
garmater
hunter

Dicks

Postby okduckdude » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:22 pm

2's in my opinion would do just fine.... Even on later season close decoying birds. I topically use BB for geese too and 3 1/2 to boot, but no way I would say that 2's couldn't do the job. Especially with the better shot and consistent patterns in the modern steel shot. Back in the old days they brought down geese with crappy steel.

I have this saying, that throwing rocks is throwing rocks.

Basically when it comes to steel shot I have no preference because I like to shoot both geese and ducks very very close.

Man that guy must know everything after been hunting for 4 years!!! He's a regular ole veteran! I bet he has Duck Commander, Zink, Banded, and Flyway Highway stickers on his duck truck pulling a 16x7 foot enclosed trailer with custom camo wrapping and all of his sponsors including New England Firearms, Estate ammunition, Deeks Decoys, and some apparel company. All of this while pulling a 6 dog trailer and new John Deer Gator Crew. They step out of the truck at the local Jimmy's Egg (cause they sponsor them too) wearing all black hoodies, sunglasses, flat billed camo hats cocked to the side, while the girls in camo bikinis jump out of the bed of the truck and start handing out "barrel stickers" to everyone in sight. All to the tune of "Duck Blind" while whistling "Yankee Dootle".....

God Bless America! God Bless Oklahoma and pass the 2's so I can shoot some geese!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:36 pm

okduckdude wrote:2's in my opinion would do just fine.... Even on later season close decoying birds. I topically use BB for geese too and 3 1/2 to boot, but no way I would say that 2's couldn't do the job. Especially with the better shot and consistent patterns in the modern steel shot. Back in the old days they brought down geese with crappy steel.

I have this saying, that throwing rocks is throwing rocks.

Basically when it comes to steel shot I have no preference because I like to shoot both geese and ducks very very close.

Man that guy must know everything after been hunting for 4 years!!! He's a regular ole veteran! I bet he has Duck Commander, Zink, Banded, and Flyway Highway stickers on his duck truck pulling a 16x7 foot enclosed trailer with custom camo wrapping and all of his sponsors including New England Firearms, Estate ammunition, Deeks Decoys, and some apparel company. All of this while pulling a 6 dog trailer and new John Deer Gator Crew. They step out of the truck at the local Jimmy's Egg (cause they sponsor them too) wearing all black hoodies, sunglasses, flat billed camo hats cocked to the side, while the girls in camo bikinis jump out of the bed of the truck and start handing out "barrel stickers" to everyone in sight. All to the tune of "Duck Blind" while whistling "Yankee Dootle".....

God Bless America! God Bless Oklahoma and pass the 2's so I can shoot some geese!

I figured he knew what he was talking about based upon his extensive hunting experience. Same ol' story, some guy in a camo shirt and boots see's a guy in a dress shirt and slacks and assumes he doesn't know anything about hunting. What is really funny is he proceeded to say how he doesn't even own any gear besides a gun...he just hunts with people who have two trailers full of goose decoys.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:43 pm

I use BB for all my goose hunting with steel. But then again I also use 165 grain for deer.

I just like things dead and BB has worked for me since steel became legal.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I use BB for all my goose hunting with steel. But then again I also use 165 grain for deer.

I am not saying the guy was wrong about using BB's, but since we target ducks 95% of the time I figured if we got bb's and didn't use them all they might be laying around.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
Specklebelly wrote:I use BB for all my goose hunting with steel. But then again I also use 165 grain for deer.

I am not saying the guy was wrong about using BB's, but since we target ducks 95% of the time I figured if we got bb's and didn't use them all they might be laying around.

In that case, I agree with what your using. I typically target geese so it is a different situation.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby duck501 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:34 pm

I well use 2s on decoying geese all day long. that was on giants in Wyoming
Last edited by duck501 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duck501
hunter

Postby Duxndog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 pm

I think a close, well placed #2 shot would do the trick, and in my experience resident geese are bigger. Although a #2 can kill a goose, I don't like to shoot more than I have to at any one bird, which may be the scenario. I would be careful to shoot at a goose over 15-20 yards with a #2, because you will more than likely wound the animal and it die a few hours or day later(unless your a crack shot). That's my .02, make sure you aren't sky busting or taking a farewell shot with #2!
Check out my Outdoor Blog at http://strictlyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Duxndog
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

It depends on what kind of shots you take. With decoying birds or a close fly-over, even #4s will get the job done, especially head/neck shots. The letter shot sizes shine at longer distances, but getting BBB or larger to pattern well in a 12ga is pretty difficult with the smaller payload and longer shot string. At that point, the 10ga comes into play.
For stupid resident geese in most situations you shouldn't need letter shot sizes, that kid was wrong about that.

BTW, I will never go into Dicks after their AR-15 policy was implemented last December.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:It depends on what kind of shots you take. With decoying birds or a close fly-over, even #4s will get the job done, especially head/neck shots. The letter shot sizes shine at longer distances, but getting BBB or larger to pattern well in a 12ga is pretty difficult with the smaller payload and longer shot string. At that point, the 10ga comes into play.
For stupid resident geese in most situations you shouldn't need letter shot sizes, that kid was wrong about that.

BTW, I will never go into Dicks after their AR-15 policy was implemented last December.

This I agree with. I've taken numerous geese out with 2s from my 20. Those were lessers, greaters, and residents. But I typically prefer my 10 with 1 through BB shot size. BBB and T get used on late season geese or the wary ones.

And I won't go into that aptly named store for the same reason.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am

What is their position on AR-15's?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby J_MAN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes you are wrong. A "resident" goose is not a subspecies of Canada goose. A "resident" goose is simply a Canada goose that winters in the local area.

#2's kill geese
J_MAN
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:22 am

LiquidA45 wrote:What is their position on AR-15's?

They pulled them after that school shooting in Massachusetts. I don't think they ever brought them back out as far as I know.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:23 am

J_MAN wrote:Yes you are wrong. A "resident" goose is not a subspecies of Canada goose. A "resident" goose is simply a Canada goose that winters in the local area.

#2's kill geese

A resident Canada goose not only winters in an area, it also springs, summers, and falls here.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:44 pm

J_MAN wrote:Yes you are wrong. A "resident" goose is not a subspecies of Canada goose. A "resident" goose is simply a Canada goose that winters in the local area.

#2's kill geese

I never said it was a subspecies, anyone with a 7th grade intelligence level knows what the word resident means. My point is that, in general, a goose that is resident in Oklahoma would be smaller than a greater from Canada and northern states. I base my thoughts off the fact they Deer in Oklahoma are smaller than deer in Northern states.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:

#2's kill geese

I never said it was a subspecies, anyone with a 7th grade intelligence level knows what the word resident means. My point is that, in general, a goose that is resident in Oklahoma would be smaller than a greater from Canada and northern states. I base my thoughts off the fact they Deer in Oklahoma are smaller than deer in Northern states.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wildlifemgmt/managingresidentcanadageese.htm

Residents are the Maxima subspecies according to this, which means the giant Canada goose subspecies.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:

#2's kill geese

The deer are larger bc every swingin **** in Oklahoma shoots anything with an antler(s) the "s" being optional. My area use to harvest great deer until the peanut farmers quit growing. Combine better diets up north with guys that pass up 2 year olds and you get bigger deer.

And where did you go to school and not learn "resident" until the 7th grade? :huh:
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:36 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:My point is that, in general, a goose that is resident in Oklahoma would be smaller than a greater from Canada and northern states. I base my thoughts off the fact they Deer in Oklahoma are smaller than deer in Northern states.

:huh:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Fellas - I quit reading this forum last year because it seemed that every post had somebody taking pot shots somewhere in the thread. I am very disappointed to see that nothing has changed. Sad. PLEASE answer questions or post your opinion without questioning someones intelligence or hunting ability. I suggest that you read the posts from Specklebelly. He always gives his opinion without the barbs. That is what this forum should be.
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Super Dave 32 wrote:That is what this forum should be.

So I guess we should just be plain, vanilla, completely boring 24/7 (no offense Speck, I don't think you're boring :lol3: ).
You know, one can only talk about hunting techniques and equipment so much. There's an ammo/reloading forum where people argue about whether such and such wad is superior, how they do months of research before buying a box of shells to test, cutting half of them open with a knife to thoroughly inspect them, counting the pellets, weighing the powder, on and on and on and on.
Our common interest is duck hunting but you can only seriously discuss every aspect for so long.

Anyway I would have to disagree with your assessment....although I might have agreed in the past. Here's why -
In the past when the shenanigans occurred, it would get out of hand and a moderator would have to step in to lock a thread, warn people, etc.
As of now (referring to most of this year, maybe the entire year from what I can remember) when "one of those threads" occurs, we haven't let them get out of hand and there hasn't been a need for a moderator to intervene in a really long time. I think that goes to show the maturity of this board, because when you compare it to most of the other state forums they HAVE to have moderators on there every day or else it would get out of hand. I think lately we've shown that we are capable of handling stuff ourselves pretty well.

And as far as this thread goes, there have been multiple people that seriously answered the OP's question and it was useful information. You may not agree, but I think if the person's question was answered thoroughly, who cares if it goes off topic later. That's what makes this fun.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby tealtime » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 am

I could have missed his meaning but I don't think Super Dave is saying that disagreements are bad or that people can't have differences of opinions. I think he's just saying to keep it cordial. I agree that this year is better than last, so far. Maybe if any leanings that way are dealt with up front, it won't escalate. Folks get on here to swamp info and stories, not to listen to a "yelling" match. Just my opinion.
tealtime
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:41 am

sooner737 wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

#2's kill geese

The deer are larger bc every swingin **** in Oklahoma shoots anything with an antler(s) the "s" being optional. My area use to harvest great deer until the peanut farmers quit growing. Combine better diets up north with guys that pass up 2 year olds and you get bigger deer.

And where did you go to school and not learn "resident" until the 7th grade? :huh:

I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

As for my schooling, I didn't start school until 7th grade so I just assumed that's when everyone else learned what the word resident meant...
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:49 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

#2's kill geese

I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

As for my schooling, I didn't start school until 7th grade so I just assumed that's when everyone else learned what the word resident meant...

FINALLY someone that can take a joke and fire back! My point on the deer was that most dont live long enough to mature to full body mass. Your absolutely right bout harsher winters but diet plays alot. They get corn, beans, oats etc all over up there. Not so much in the way of protein here. Not that they'd live long enough to prosper from it.
sooner737
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:39 am

LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting