Dicks

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Dicks

Postby sooner737 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:11 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok


Re: Dicks

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:26 am

sooner737 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:


But what weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of antlers?
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
User avatar
okbucksnducks
hunter
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Ochelata, OK

Re: Dicks

Postby sooner737 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:34 am

okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:


But what weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of antlers?

Depends.....resident goose feathers? Deer antlers from here or Iowa?
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok

Re: Dicks

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:45 am

sooner737 wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:


But what weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of antlers?

Depends.....resident goose feathers? Deer antlers from here or Iowa?


Let's go with resident goose feathers and antlers from here then resident goose feathers and antlers from up there.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
User avatar
okbucksnducks
hunter
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Ochelata, OK

Re: Dicks

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:42 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:


But what weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of antlers?

Depends.....resident goose feathers? Deer antlers from here or Iowa?


Let's go with resident goose feathers and antlers from here then resident goose feathers and antlers from up there.


Do we have to split this between typical and non-typical antlers?
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Dicks

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:58 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:


But what weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of antlers?

Depends.....resident goose feathers? Deer antlers from here or Iowa?


Let's go with resident goose feathers and antlers from here then resident goose feathers and antlers from up there.


Do we have to split this between typical and non-typical antlers?


Forgot about that. Of course we do. Nontypical antlers tend to be bigger.
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
User avatar
okbucksnducks
hunter
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Ochelata, OK

Re: Dicks

Postby sooner737 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:10 pm

okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
okbucksnducks wrote:
sooner737 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:I'm not talking about antlers, I'm talking about body mass. Tell me if I am wrong, but wouldn't a 5 year old deer from a northern state like Iowa have significantly more mass to his body compared to a 5 year old deer in Oklahoma due to harsher winters and milder summers?

But what does all this have to do with the size of a goose in OK vs a goose farther north?

Ite colder up there.....thicker feathers :hammer:


But what weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of antlers?

Depends.....resident goose feathers? Deer antlers from here or Iowa?


Let's go with resident goose feathers and antlers from here then resident goose feathers and antlers from up there.

.......yes.....
sooner737
hunter
 
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:27 pm
Location: duncan, ok

Re: Dicks

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:36 am

This poor kid working at Dicks sounds like he is getting hammered by a guy who has no clue about hunting deer or geese.
Jerkstring
hunter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:30 pm
Location: S.E. OKLAHOMA

Re: Dicks

Postby BKScripto » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:57 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
okduckdude wrote:2's in my opinion would do just fine.... Even on later season close decoying birds. I topically use BB for geese too and 3 1/2 to boot, but no way I would say that 2's couldn't do the job. Especially with the better shot and consistent patterns in the modern steel shot. Back in the old days they brought down geese with crappy steel.

I have this saying, that throwing rocks is throwing rocks.

Basically when it comes to steel shot I have no preference because I like to shoot both geese and ducks very very close.


Man that guy must know everything after been hunting for 4 years!!! He's a regular ole veteran! I bet he has Duck Commander, Zink, Banded, and Flyway Highway stickers on his duck truck pulling a 16x7 foot enclosed trailer with custom camo wrapping and all of his sponsors including New England Firearms, Estate ammunition, Deeks Decoys, and some apparel company. All of this while pulling a 6 dog trailer and new John Deer Gator Crew. They step out of the truck at the local Jimmy's Egg (cause they sponsor them too) wearing all black hoodies, sunglasses, flat billed camo hats cocked to the side, while the girls in camo bikinis jump out of the bed of the truck and start handing out "barrel stickers" to everyone in sight. All to the tune of "Duck Blind" while whistling "Yankee Dootle".....


God Bless America! God Bless Oklahoma and pass the 2's so I can shoot some geese!


I figured he knew what he was talking about based upon his extensive hunting experience. Same ol' story, some guy in a camo shirt and boots see's a guy in a dress shirt and slacks and assumes he doesn't know anything about hunting. What is really funny is he proceeded to say how he doesn't even own any gear besides a gun...he just hunts with people who have two trailers full of goose decoys.


Sounds like my normal hunting buds. They just show up. I'm the one that puts up the effort and money for scouting, gear, boats, etc. :D
User avatar
BKScripto
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Dicks

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:17 am

Jerkstring wrote:This poor kid working at Dicks sounds like he is getting hammered by a guy who has no clue about hunting deer or geese.



I never claimed to be a deer hunter and in my original post I said I'm not a goose hunting expert. I asked if #2s were too small for geese and if Oklahoma resident geese were smaller than the birds that migrate from Canada. I don't think it is stupid, ignorant, or foolish to assume that a deer or goose, let alone any animal, that lives in an area that is cooler than another would be larger than it's southern relative due to the need for extra warmth. If I had for on here and said "this idiot at dicks doesn't know anything etc." then that would put me in the wrong. I can take a joke but don't get on here and insult people because you are bored, I would hope you have something better to do with your time.

Since this is a forum about hunting, I thought it was ok to ask questions that would lead to a discussion. Since you didn't have anything informative to add it makes you look like you know nothing about hunting and can only insult people. But you may be an excellent hunter, I don't know so I don't jump to conclusions.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Dicks

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am

LiquidA45 wrote: I don't think it is stupid, ignorant, or foolish to assume that .........


Not singling out anyone in particular on this thread; I have seen stupid, ignorant, and foolish posts in this thread. I only use the above quote to make a point (and in doing so I do have to say that, yes LiquidA45, you are being ignorant.)

Since this has turned into a nitpicking thread, I just wanted to point out that "ignorance" is defined as the lack of knowledge, information, learning, etc. NOTHING wrong with being ignorant. I am 100% ignorant on LOTS of things such as how to knit a sweater, and I'll choose to be ignorant about that as long as I live.

One aspect of this forum is for ignorant people to ask questions so they can learn. Unfortunately, too many members here don't know the difference between ignorance and stupidity and that's when a thread can go bad.

Yup LiquidA45 is ignorant (without knowledge/information) about shot size for geese, so he asks (in Dicks and on here). Nothing wrong with that.

Back to the OP, I always use BBs, but agree most "rock" will do at over the decoy range. However, I do feel late season geese, with a much more armoured up layer of feathers and fat, are better hunted with larger shot size. And for whoever posted that they were afraid they'd have BBs laying around if they didn't use them all....use 'em on the ducks???? There are many times I have my third shell as a BB, especially on days when the shots may be a little longer like windy days when that last shot might be a little further than normal. "Course that may sound "stupid" to some :lol3:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
User avatar
Duck Whisperer
hunter
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am
Location: Tulsa OK

Re: Dicks

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:04 pm

I guess I was foolish to use the word ignorant without knowing it's definition :yes: I didn't learn that one when we learned the definition of resident...

Thanks to everyone that posted helpful information.
LiquidA45
hunter
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Re: Dicks

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:Back to the OP, I always use BBs, but agree most "rock" will do at over the decoy range. However, I do feel late season geese, with a much more armoured up layer of feathers and fat, are better hunted with larger shot size. And for whoever posted that they were afraid they'd have BBs laying around if they didn't use them all....use 'em on the ducks???? There are many times I have my third shell as a BB, especially on days when the shots may be a little longer like windy days when that last shot might be a little further than normal. "Course that may sound "stupid" to some :lol3:

I completely agree...during one windier day last season, myself and the other person hunting with me were using #2s and the wind was wreaking havoc on them. Every time we shot left, pellets got blown way off target. When shooting right, dead birds.
This year I am going to try some #1s out of the 12 and see how those perform....they looked good on the patterning board.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater, OK

Re: Dicks

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm

The kid was giving some decent advice on the goose loads. I do apologize as it was not you that was hammering the young sales clerk. BB works well for geese at medium range and do a good job on ducks also. Only reason to save them would be for a later goose hunt. The residents we have here are from the Konawa Electric plant lake and were the Magnums brought in from up North. They never saw the need to leave the area and exploded in population.
Jerkstring
hunter
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:30 pm
Location: S.E. OKLAHOMA

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests