That Sucks!

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

That Sucks!

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 am

The Duck Grinder was loaded with all the gear and plenty of groceries in order to make the ANNUAL FORAY deep into Southern Louisiana in order to team up with our local Cajun Coosans and chase dem lil BWT'S all about the Atchey! Of course the promise of Blue Crab and Shrimp Boils for supper and NO WATER TO DRINK FOR A WEEK also has it's draw.

Thing is this season so far there have been VERY FEW TEAL ... nothing but the days getting shorter to kick'em off as the weather has produced no fronts to speak of. The bit of a later start also worked to throw a wrench in things as the local guys only have till Wednesday to hunt this week as they have to return to their Off Shore Rigs on Thursday!

All this rig a ma roe simply means it looks like this year the trip is off. Some of the crew made a set up on a large water shed down the road as... even though we ain't SEEN ONE TEAL and believe me we have all invested time and gas in look'n HARD ... and ... the result was a BIG FAT SKUNK'N!

We will leave the gear in The Duck Grinder as IF and WHEN we GET DUCKS a Road Trip may still be in order. Until then it looks like we'll just have to make do with GO'N LOCAL!

We WILL ... GET EVEN ... here in a few weeks when we kick off the Big Duck Season when we travel further North and the start date is earlier!
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Re: That Sucks!

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:51 am

How far north you going?
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 pm

As of yesterday, in NE OK they were around. Not "good" numbers, but there was enough around to go through the trouble to do a hunt for a couple shooters. We went a little over the half limit mark for both of us. Knocked down birds out of every flock, but could've shot a little better.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:03 pm

See you out there
JMichigan
hunter

Postby micneador » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Saw tons of birds opener in NE ok, today I saw maybe 30. Took a hour cat nap on the levee, woke up and started to pick up dekes. Noticed a large group skirting the edges. Scuttled back to my gun, a few whistles and the locked up PERFECTLY. Pulled up, three shots and I botched it. :no: There's supposed to be a "cold front" friday. Fingers crossed.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:00 am

About a month ago there was decent " Intel " that indicated there were numbers of BWT stacked up around St. Louis and Miss. River! For some reason this season it just may be the majority of the BWT thru this part of the world is " stick'n " a bit east of us?

With the change back to no fronts to speak of or at least " weak " fronts and a return to warmer than normal temps. ... the Heat Dome High right over head that produces a circular motion in the Jet Stream ( looks like the ducks may be following staying out on the edges of the High where the upper winds are more conducive to flight south ) ... and now a couple of Hurricanes lined up in the western Gulf of Mexico... even though they are on the weak side ... all seem to be work'n against us here in this part of the State.

Looks like dem Lil Blue Winged Missiles is have'n on helluva time get'n to where they want to go? At least the " normal " flight patterns have been messed up a bit?
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting