Scouting teal ponds

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Scouting teal ponds

Postby Super Dave 32 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:07 am

I gained access to several new ponds this year and would like to hit them for teal. The problem is that they are all new to me and I have no clue if they hold teal. All are about an hour away from my house so I can't go up multiple evenings or mornings.

What are your suggestions to scout new ponds for teal? Most of the ponds are hidden from the road by trees or their location in the middle of pastures.

I tried one of them cold turkey on Sunday and saw nothing. I would like to save myself the frustration if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Re: Scouting teal ponds

Postby okduckdude » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:20 am

Ponds can really be hit or miss. Look for food sources in shallow areas of the ponds. In my experience teal like lots of shallow water areas, .6inch -3 feet in my experience with more lean to the former than the latter.

Maybe you can get the landowner to watch them for you a day or two?
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby cole1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 am

I agree^^^ Ponds are really hit or miss for early teal... They can even be hit or miss for big duck season. My experience with teal is that they fly very early and the prime time is sunrise to about 8:30 am... I have never hunted them in the evening so I can't speak to that. I would just go set up and see what happens! At the very least you can get a feel for how you want to hunt in November!!!
cole1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:49 am

Pick out the shallow parts of the pond and set up your deer camera. Works like a charm.
sooner737
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting