What would you do?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

What would you do?

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 am

I went teal hunting on one of my main spots and didn't fire a shell. However that was good because I discovered a turkey roost about 20 yards from my blind. There were about 25 birds in it and they were just hanging around.

This spot is also my prime duck spot for regular season and obviously not that good for teal.

What would you do on Nov 2, shoot ducks or turkey? I can't do both because obviously the first shot on a duck will scare the turkeys off the roost. Plus turkey's tend to not come down until a little later than I could shoot ducks afterwards.

Thoughts?
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: What would you do?

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 am

I think it depends on what you want to have for Thanksgiving dinner....

I have an area that is just like this. However, the birds keep roosting around the same area and nearly every time driving out during teal season I saw them. So I don't think you would run them off too far if you choose to hunt ducks. Either way you choose your in for a good time!
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 am

Specklebelly wrote:I went teal hunting on one of my main spots and didn't fire a shell. However that was good because I discovered a turkey roost about 20 yards from my blind. There were about 25 birds in it and they were just hanging around.

This spot is also my prime duck spot for regular season and obviously not that good for teal.

What would you do on Nov 2, shoot ducks or turkey? I can't do both because obviously the first shot on a duck will scare the turkeys off the roost. Plus turkey's tend to not come down until a little later than I could shoot ducks afterwards.

Thoughts?

Depends on the size of the beards and the number of ducks that are down. Personally I don't see why you can't pop s turkey then run to the duck blind! I love duck hunting....I LOVE it....but mmhmmmm wild turkey sure tastes good!
sooner737
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:59 am

I would get the bow out and go shoot one this weekend, and not have to worry about the decision come November 2nd. Just figure out which way they like to go after they fly down off the roost and set up. I have used a decoy with decent success in the fall because the young birds are curious and will come over to investigate. If you are set up in a good blind you can set up your decoy 10 yards away and have a chip shot. Good luck
OKhunter
hunter

Postby me3401 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:38 am

Me, I would probably do both if possible. If possible, I would get my duck decoys out and all ready. Then go ambush a turkey. The birds are usually down within 20 minutes of legal shooting time so you could be back duck hunting 30 minutes after legal shooting time. Catch the 3rd or 4th wave of ducks.
me3401
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Shoot the Ducks. Turkey hunting is for the Spring.
Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Specklebelly wrote:I went teal hunting on one of my main spots and didn't fire a shell. However that was good because I discovered a turkey roost about 20 yards from my blind. There were about 25 birds in it and they were just hanging around.

Thoughts?

And here I was all this time thinking you were a duck hunter. :lol3: But, if I had that oppurtunity, I'd try to pop a turkey first, then hit the ducks.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:43 pm

sooner737 wrote:Depends on the size of the beards and the number of ducks that are down.

How long of a beard would it take? Duck Commander length?
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:47 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
sooner737 wrote:Depends on the size of the beards and the number of ducks that are down.

How long of a beard would it take? Duck Commander length?

I was born with a better beard than that clown. Im talking the tom is literally stumbling over his beard its so long. Like a hen walking behind him carrying it long.
sooner737
hunter

Postby tealtime » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:59 am

Not a bad dilemna to have, dude! I'd shoot the turkey if I had the chance. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
tealtime
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:21 am

Duck Whisperer wrote:

Thoughts?

And here I was all this time thinking you were a duck hunter. :lol3: But, if I had that oppurtunity, I'd try to pop a turkey first, then hit the ducks.

X2
I'd go for the mixed bag. You'll likely shoot a lot ducks this season. Shoot a turkey first, then duck it up!!!
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 pm

One of these years, I'm gonna have to shoot me one of them there birds. Never really been. Personally, I wouldn't care about beards; would rather have a younger, tenderer, bird to eat myself
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:36 pm

I have shot abunch. Always in the Spring. Called them in. Its the calling that lights my Fire.

Marathon Maniacs Member #9135
LTMFH
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Thoughts?

I got a great plan! I've never been turkey hunting so.....

I shoot the turkey, you shoot the ducks? Then we both win! You get to keep your reputation as a duck hunter and I get to fulfill my turkey hunting itch. :grooving:
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Skye Bustin' wrote:

Thoughts?

I shoot the turkey, you shoot the ducks? Then we both win! You get to keep your reputation as a duck hunter and I get to fulfill my turkey hunting itch. :grooving:

You will have to change your user name if you shoot a turkey since they are mostly ground dwellers, and even if they do fly it isn't very high.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Skye Bustin' » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:30 pm

OKhunter wrote:
Skye Bustin' wrote:

Thoughts?

You will have to change your user name if you shoot a turkey since they are mostly ground dwellers, and even if they do fly it isn't very high.

No problem there! :yes:
Skye Bustin'
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:55 am

No contest for me, I would shoot the ducks. Making one shot on a turkey doesnt do it for me.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:26 am

You could make a good start toward a turgoosuck (like turducken).
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:51 am

Speck, as you know it is hard for me to say if I like turkey hunting or duck hunting better. I travel every spring to at least two other states to chase gobblers. Fall turkey hunting does nothing for me. It's just ambushing. I love it when they come gobbling and strutting in to 5 yards for a nice silent bow shot. Doesn't get much better!!!! I would save them for spring. Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide!!!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:35 am

Well, have we made a decsion yet?
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okbucksnducks » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:39 am

We demand answers
assateague wrote:Eff a pintail. When I kill one, I'm going to dance a jig over its carcass.
okbucksnducks
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting