calls

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

calls

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am

How many and what do ya'll have on your lanyard. Just made a new lanyard last night and I thought to myself "it would be a crime not to buy a new call for this thing" I have a Ducklander qt and an Echo poly open water, both are single reeds. I am wanting to add another duck call, possibly a double reed, and a goose call to my lanyard so I figured I would see what everyone else uses around here.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: calls

Postby okduckdude » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 am

Ive got a faulks whistle, an old DC call (double reed), a single reed I put together myself with a big bore for open water, Zink's power hen (single reed).... I mostly find myself using the Zink's cause of the tone and use for multiple areas. The DC call is a quieter call for those close quarters. The put together myself call is great for hunting large lakes. Late season I'm mostly using the whistle and listening to everyone else's dead cat calls.

One of these days when I have some money to put toward a full acrylic call I'll do so. Or ill just find me a rich woman to buy one for me.. :hi: :hi:
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am

okduckdude wrote:Ive got a faulks whistle, an old DC call (double reed), a single reed I put together myself with a big bore for open water, Zink's power hen (single reed).... I mostly find myself using the Zink's cause of the tone and use for multiple areas. The DC call is a quieter call for those close quarters. The put together myself call is great for hunting large lakes. Late season I'm mostly using the whistle and listening to everyone else's dead cat calls.

One of these days when I have some money to put toward a full acrylic call I'll do so. Or ill just find me a rich woman to buy one for me.. :hi: :hi:

Been working on this for awhile ha! Got the Ducklander for graduation, otherwise I wouldn't have spent that much personally. My buddy wants to buy the Echo so I thought I might get another "loud" call...but like you I barely even touched my calls when I was on the lake. I guess I just "think" I need a call since I put 4 drops on my lanyard lol.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby cole1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:39 am

Early Teal I had a whistle and a Duck Commander Teal hen call... The rest of the season I will have a Whistle, Burnt Orange Daisy Cutter single reed acrylic, Pearl/Black Alpha 2 double reed acrylic, and a quackhead Goozilla (for that off chance we have some geese come in). I always keep an assortment of other calls in the blind bag just in case I need to change it up but the RNT acrylics get the job done...
cole1
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Gold digger
short barrel (maybe)
addiction intervention
dc or mvp for my mile away ducks
sooner737
hunter

Postby DucknGoodTime » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Committed Customs:
Original
Snubnose
Throwback
Wingert Whistle
And I keep a Yentzen Sure Shot handy for those dead calm days or potholes.

Blessings,
Rick
http://www.facebook.com/groups/customdecoys/
Last edited by DucknGoodTime on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Rick
DucknGoodTime
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Just got done braiding my own lanyard too!
She'll be loaded up this year

RNT DC acrylic
RNT SB coco
Zink COD acrylic
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Micarta Yentzen
Haydel Magnum Pintail Whistle

LTMFH
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 am

Everyone's lanyards are sounding (pun intended) pretty good. I think I am going to have Bobby Hayes at DLC set me up with a Conartist to go with the QT. Also looking at Grounds Super Poly Mag for my goose call.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby cole1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:45 am

LTMFH wrote:Micarta Yentzen

How do you like the Yentzen??? I have seen these online but never blew one or heard one... Where would you recommend getting one and which ones would you get?
cole1
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 am

cole1 wrote:

How do you like the Yentzen??? I have seen these online but never blew one or heard one... Where would you recommend getting one and which ones would you get?

Yentzens are a finishing call. Not going to call ducks from across the lake. Them half speed looking ducks love that soft Yentzen call.

I dont like any of their new calls, The ones I like were made in the late 70's. They had a wide mouth and a narrow mouth. Off yellow lable with brown writing. I like the narrow mouth call. Like the one on the left. I see them on Ebay all the time.

LTMFH
hunter

Postby cole1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:22 pm

How do I know I'm getting an old one and not a new one?
cole1
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:26 pm

cole1 wrote:How do I know I'm getting an old one and not a new one?

Smell of the inside? :lol3:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby LTMFH » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:41 pm

cole1 wrote:How do I know I'm getting an old one and not a new one?

The pale yellow label with the brown border and letters.
LTMFH
hunter

Postby UrbanDuckMan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:38 am

Just jumped in on a Duck Commander Triple Threat... like it ... EASY to blow ... good high range /low range while not quite reaching a HAIL CALL! Better on the lower and softer end. You can elicit the " Screech " easier than on most other calls I have tried as that is something I wanted to be able to do and was pretty much able to do. It is no easier or harder to " roll over " than anything else I got or have had. I pretty much use " took-took-took ... " for confidence and FINISH OFF anyways!

Again ... as we get older it is a fact we all " LOSE OUR AIR PRESSUE " or ability to produce it. I need a call that does not require a lot of pressure and this one fits that criteria very well. I would also add that IMO it would be a decent call for a NEWBIE to start out with due to it's ease in blowing.

I don't spend a lot of calls and well in a word I'M CHEAP when it comes to this are of equipment. The Pricing of this call for what's going on out there is what I would term in the " Medium " range ... and a bit more than what I would normally pay ... but the again ... the pricing is understandable when taking into account the amount of PAPER MONEY being generated by the Federal Guvment ... OBAMA INFLATION has reached into the Duck Whack'n World!

If it blows well FULL OF SKOAL ... I got something that will serve me well?
UrbanDuckMan
UrbanDuckMan
hunter

Postby cole1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 am

LTMFH wrote:
cole1 wrote:

Yentzens are a finishing call. Not going to call ducks from across the lake. Them half speed looking ducks love that soft Yentzen call.

I dont like any of their new calls, The ones I like were made in the late 70's. They had a wide mouth and a narrow mouth. Off yellow lable with brown writing. I like the narrow mouth call. Like the one on the left. I see them on Ebay all the time.

I just ordered these two from ebay... picked them both up for $75 total and free shipping! Can't wait to try them out!
cole1
hunter

Postby quack quack BANG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 am

Take a look at Caney River Calls up around the Claremore area. Kenneth is a super nice guy and builds a world class call, IMO. Turns everyone by hand and can tune it just how you want it. He has a website and a facebook page so he is easy to find.
quack quack BANG
Newb

Postby XR2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:11 pm

I carry 3 calls with me, all duck as I don't really care much for geese. My favorite duck call is a Zink XR-2 that is over 10 years old and has the old hand-drilled toneboard. I also carry a backup XR-2 that is only a year or 2 old. Those calls aren't the loudest, which is fine for 99% of the time, but last year we hunted some really windy days where I felt I didn't have the volume to call ducks 50-75 yards away very well so I acquired a Echo Timber XLT last week. Duck Whisperer and TealTime are probably shaking their heads at the thought of a louder call as I'm fond of trying to work mallards with the call, maybe sometimes a little too much although it seems like we're always competing with others for the birds attention?

I will say I fully admit it isn't necessary to have almost $400 dangling around one's neck. I've known some duck killing machines who won't consider anything but a Haydel's DR-85. I've never been a fan of Duck Commander calls (personal preference and nothing more) but have been told the reed design in my beloved XR-2s is largely based on the Duck Commander reed design. There's always something else out there, I'd love to try a Lares T-1 and a Gaston Duckzilla at some point. I have never been able to make a RNT work for me for some reason.
XR2
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Well I ordered a Field Proven poly raptor this weekend and I think I will hold off on replacing the echo for now and use that money to get more goose decoys. I appreciate everyone's feedback, I think it would be nice to have a Yentzen on the lanyard, just a nice classic looking call in my opinion.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby BrettA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:28 am

Coco Echo Timber
RNT Bois D Arc Short Barrel
RNT Coco Timber Hawg

Cant beat the RNTs!
BrettA
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:58 pm

Heeeeeeeere Ducky, Ducky, Ducky!

That's my main call. As I've posted before, because I hunt VERY crowded public land, I pretty much don't call at all, or very little. As such, I personally don't take a lot of stock in calls; ones I have are all "freebies" . I'll never shell out 100 or so for a call. (I realize I'm in the minority)
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I'll never shell out 100 or so for a call. (I realize I'm in the minority)

Me neither, but I do have a few on my lanyard...none of them more than $35. Most of them less than $20.
I prefer to let my motion decoys do the work, once their attention is gained.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting