New to OKC

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New to OKC

Postby Red Lab27 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am

Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself to the group. I recently moved down to OKC (5 miles E of Lake Draper) from SE KS and trying to get involved in the local duck hunting community. I have met a few people from the Sooner Retriever Club who I have been out hunting with a few times and looking forward to meeting more fellow hunters. I went to several blind drawings this year and have been pretty lucky. If anyone is interested in getting together during the season on Lake Bellcow, Carl Blackwell and especially Draper drop me a line. I will be in a blind or on my boat with my dog Indy.

Fellow board member, Lost, and I just got back from a really uneventful teal weekend in Slidell, LA. Four of us shot 4 doves all weekend. That is about 400 miles per bird. No teal within 1/2 mile of us.

Take care, and good luck chasing deer for the next few weeks.

Mike
Red Lab27
hunter

Re: New to OKC

Postby JMichigan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:20 am

Welcome! The season is almost here. Ducks and Turkeys until then. Need to get the freezer filled so I can duck hunt for the rest of the year.
JMichigan
hunter

Postby Jaketez » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Welcome to the boards and to OKC! I'm new to area this year myself. Where in KS are you from?
Jaketez
hunter

Postby Red Lab27 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:03 pm

I left SEK about this time last year. I spent the last 5 years in Chanute, KS. Great place to hunt just about everything.
Red Lab27
hunter

Postby Nerdwick » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:20 am

Welcome to Ok brother...

I'm always game to hunt with anybody as long as you are safe and legal.!!

I've been out with the club several times myself, Robert and Mark where always great to learn from.

My forum buddies (beerzerker, and rytyler) moved off this year and I'm dry On partners this season, so shoot me a pm whenever.

I work 12 hour shift so I usually have 4 days off a week during season and can go whenever, weekdays and weekends.
Nerdwick
hunter

Postby Jaketez » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Nice, I grew up in Wichita/Derby and have made it out there a few times. I don't know many in the area either so same thing, shoot me a PM if you ever want to get out. I make my own schedule for the most part, so I can usually figure something out.
Jaketez
hunter

Postby Red Lab27 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I will get ahold of you and we can go check out a few spots. I am on my way to Manitoba Sat for a week to hunt up there. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get a Canadian goose in Canada.
Red Lab27
hunter

Postby Red Lab27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:25 am

Canada trip was awesome! Man, are there a ton of birds up there. It was how I pictured hunting in the 70's in a rural area would have been. All the land owners were really nice and gave us permission to hunt really easily. We even hunted with a few of them and were offered more places to hunt than we asked for. Birds decoyed well and responded to calling, no other hunters for miles.

Now it is time to start hunting in OK. Unfortunately I will be up in KS this weekend for the opener but may be back in time on Sunday to get out for an evening. Can't complain too much. Heading to Show Me Birds for pheasant shoot.

Anyone available after work next week to head over to Draper or BellCow Lake?

Mike
Red Lab27
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Friday for sure. Did you draw a blind this year? I never even heard about the drawings.
JMichigan
hunter

Postby Red Lab27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Yeah there were drawings on both lakes. The draper one was a little rediculous. Way too many people for a little area.
Red Lab27
hunter

Postby Red Lab27 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Sorry got cut off

Luckily I got drawn and a buddy got the blind next to me. Just hope some ducks move on to the lake.
Red Lab27
hunter

Postby Jaketez » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:55 pm

I can probably work something out. What days are you trying to get out?
Jaketez
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 am

Red Lab27 wrote:Yeah there were drawings on both lakes. The draper one was a little rediculous. Way too many people for a little area.

Agreed, in a normal year there is maybe 30-40 people at the Draper blind drawing. Last year there were 10 blinds that weren't even taken at the drawing. This year 200+ showed up, most of them showed up late as well. A lot of them were wearing full camo with the creases still in the fabric, oh and some with full face paint on. I really wanted to take pictures and post them here. Especially of the guy in all brand new camo shorts and shiny new rubber camo boots (hope that wasn't you). Our group of 10 people only drew 2 blinds this year. We don't hunt there often, but it is nice to have a spot close to OKC in case the roads get real bad and we don't feel like risking the long drive on icy roads.

Just a FYI, if you are planning on hunting Draper this weekend. Since it is raining, drive out there Friday night to check the gates. The OKC police don't like people driving down the muddy roads and getting stuck, so they will lock a lot of the gates and you might have to hike in. If so, you have to plan on getting there a little earlier and packing a little lighter. Happened to us a couple of times last year and we had to switch gears and hunt the easier accessible blinds instead of the ones we had planned on hunting.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:15 am

OkieDuckFever wrote:Agreed, in a normal year there is maybe 30-40 people at the Draper blind drawing. Last year there were 10 blinds that weren't even taken at the drawing. This year 200+ showed up, most of them showed up late as well. A lot of them were wearing full camo with the creases still in the fabric, oh and some with full face paint on.

Interesting. The blind drawings at the Porter ODWC office were eerily similar. Last year was also crowded though, but I wasn't there so I don't know about the full camo and face paint. It was definitely in full force this year.
I also thought it was interesting that all those drawings were for lakes and most of those people don't even have a boat. Fine with me though, it'll just make those spots available for everyone. Which is how it should be to begin with.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby OkieDuckFever » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 am

The most people we have EVER seen at a Draper blind drawing was 50. This year was nuts, it was easily over 200, probably closer to 250. It was simple to pick out the regular crew from all the new people. Old faded camo or no camo on the regulars and lots of brand new shiny gear on the new people. Academy and Bass Pro must be loving this. The police Sergeant was overwhelmed at how many showed up. He said he had expected an increase, but still thought it would max out at 50-75. I heard the Stinchcomb drawing was even worse, glad I missed that one.
OkieDuckFever
hunter

Postby JMichigan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:53 am

yep, wish I would've known about any of those. The fun of being new in an area.
JMichigan
hunter

Postby Red Lab27 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Damn. I can't believe you didn't like my boots. I just got them the day before the drawing.

I was the guy in street clothes with the little yellow pup and two kids. Thought I would be able to play withn them in the park afterword but the drawing took over 2 hrs. We had 6 guys and got 1 blind. Can't complain too much though. I will be boating in so I just hope the ramp isn't too crowded. This is my first year hunting OK so really looking forward to it. Haven't seen a pintail in real life.

I am skipping this weekend. Got a chance to go pheasant hunting out of state so might as well while it is 75 degrees here. I counted 17 ducks in over 500 miles of mostly back roads driving today. Hopefully they show up soon.

I will be in blind 2 most days after work. Hope to see a few of you out there.

Mike.
Red Lab27
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting