New dog need some help

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

New dog need some help

Postby Greyducksdown11 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Hey guys I'm in the SW OK area and was wondering if anyone knew a good breeder to get a new dog from, $800 has to be my top price. I'll travel across the state and north Texas.. Thanks guys! I'm wanting a lab btw
Greyducksdown11
Newb

Re: New dog need some help

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 am

Why are you limiting yourself to $800, just curious?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 am

LiquidA45 wrote:Why are you limiting yourself to $800, just curious?

^^^^^^^ save your money.....drop 3 grand and buy a finished dog. No puppy stage.
sooner737
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am

sooner737 wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:Why are you limiting yourself to $800, just curious?

^^^^^^^ save your money.....drop 3 grand and buy a finished dog. No puppy stage.

Not quite what I was getting at...if you are willing to travel several hundred miles, why not save up an extra $200 and give yourself more options. My dad paid $800 for his and it is a great dog, so I am NOT saying you can't get a good dog for that price. Get ahold of a retriever club and they can probably point you in the right direction.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Greyducksdown11 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:39 am

I'm limiting myself because it's gonna be difficult just to save $800, so wait 5-10 years from now to get a dog??
Greyducksdown11
Newb

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:02 pm

:huh:
If it's gonna be THAT difficult, then why are you even buying a dog? How are you gonna pay for the vaccinations, food, emergency vet visits, or anything else related to owning a dog? $800 is just a small piece of the pie long term.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:35 pm

JFC, can anybody suggest a breeder for the guy without questioning whether he wears boxers or briefs? :help:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:07 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote::huh:
If it's gonna be THAT difficult, then why are you even buying a dog? How are you gonna pay for the vaccinations, food, emergency vet visits, or anything else related to owning a dog? $800 is just a small piece of the pie long term.

This right here, cost of the dog is the cheap part.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote::huh:

This right here, cost of the dog is the cheap part.

True. Not questioning that. Like buying a car - you know you gotta get insurance, tags, gas, repairs, etc. Knowing that, you decide what you can afford to pay for your car (dog). I'm sure the OP has factored that in. Like LA45 said, you can get a good dog for $800; his advice to contacting retriever clubs is a good start.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 pm

Another thought, not sure if you were wanting to pick up a dog now, but you might put a deposit on a spring litter. That would give you time to save some more money for future expenses.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby razorback » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Greyducksdown11 wrote:Hey guys I'm in the SW OK area and was wondering if anyone knew a good breeder to get a new dog from, $800 has to be my top price. I'll travel across the state and north Texas.. Thanks guys! I'm wanting a lab btw

You can get plenty of dog for that kind of money. You should be looking for MH x MH or better, if you look you can find them. Wintertime in TX is a great time because plenty of people are wintering there. I dont know of a litter at the moment, but check out RTF and check the classifieds, more than you can count.
razorback
hunter

Postby razorback » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 pm

If you are still looking for a pup I know of a litter.. 4 females left MH female x MH/QAA male. Nice pedigrees top and bottom. Pups are in you price range, currently 5 seeks old.

Let me know and I will send you the Brent's info.
razorback
hunter

Postby DuckZapper160 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Paid $450.00 for my dog and he's a darn good pooch..
STRAP IT DOWN!!
DuckZapper160
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:07 am

Agree that the cost of your dog is the very tip of the iceberg. I paid $500 from a good friend for my girl and have $1,500 in training, $300 in e-collar, $1,000 in kennel (concrete, house, fencing), travel kennel, neoprene vest, dog blind and zillions of miscellaneous money (food, ID chip, heartworms and flea monthly meds, etc).

That said, it's some of the best money I've spent. She's great company on solo hunts, a dynamic high drive retriever and a ton of fun to work with in the field and in the back yard throwing bumpers. She lives to ride shotgun no matter where I'm going. To top it all off, she's always happy to see me!! Not always the case with my better half!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Super Dave 32 wrote:.......... she's always happy to see me!! Not always the case with my better half!

I've met and hunted with you once. Can't blame the wife :lol3: (I can only jest as I'm in the same boat with you) :yes:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Yup, DW. I remember. Not sure that was much hunting. More driving around and looking. I don't think I fired a shell.

Good hearing from you. This time of year I always think about building a portable blind like yours but never seem to get around to it!

Good luck!!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby BlkonBlkRS3 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:41 am

Rusty at Trigger Time Kennels has some pups right now that will be ready first week in November. He is asking $800 and they are all chocolate. Dam was SageCreek's Benelli with a Bang-Bang and Sire was HRCH Gator Point Magnum Force Storm, Storm lacks one pass for MH title. PM me and I can send you information if you are ready to purchase.

There is your non-lecture answer.

However; the folks on here are absolutely correct, I just had to put down my 6 year old lab/pointer mix after a couple thousand in vet bills as he went into kidney failure during the weekend. The dogs can get very expensive. A cheaper option might be a rescue dog that is up to date on shots, etc and will not be as much of a financial burden as a pup.

Chris
BlkonBlkRS3
hunter

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting