Duck Hunting Forum banner

Any scouting reports yet?????

6K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  LiquidA45 
#1 ·
Has anyone been out looking to see if the numbers are coming down yet. Heck the dove are just getting down to me. We are seeing a few ducks on the ponds around the deer lease and saw a couple of small groups on Blue river.

#2 ·
Well I haven't seen any numbers yet but from watching the migration reports from DU things seem to be shaping up. I stumbled upon about 10 woodies on one of my ponds just on Monday. There wasn't a single group of woodies on it last year and the year before had close to 100 throughout the season so it was two drastically different years. I think that were already seeing some movement and didn't hardly see anything at this time of year last year so I'm pretty optimistic.

But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Thanks

~kkelly~

#6 ·
shoveler_shooter said:
Weather has been ridiculously warm, but it'll be cooling down a little bit this week. Still average-slightly above. I will be in northern KS in less than 2 weeks for their opener, should get a taste of what we will see.
I'm envious of this, I've always wanted to see what the hunting is like up that way on the Plains. Curious to see how many birds are there with all that weather up in the Dakotas.

#7 ·
My rail spot had a few 100 teal on it (there were practically zero ducks there the last week of teal season). Also saws a group of 12 Pintails, several spoonie, and a few greys. Local woodies still there also. Saw a fair number of big ducks, but simply didn't pay them much attention as I was in "Rail mode". Hunting buddy, also in Tulsa, said he heard a wad of snows a day or two ago also.

Saw a neck collared Canada at an undisclosed location (park). Couldn't convince my buddy to take a Foiles go at them though :no:

#9 ·
Duck Whisperer said:
My rail spot had a few 100 teal on it (there were practically zero ducks there the last week of teal season). Also saws a group of 12 Pintails, several spoonie, and a few greys. Local woodies still there also. Saw a fair number of big ducks, but simply didn't pay them much attention as I was in "Rail mode". Hunting buddy, also in Tulsa, said he heard a wad of snows a day or two ago also.

Saw a neck collared Canada at an undisclosed location (park). Couldn't convince my buddy to take a Foiles go at them though :no:
That's funny, I saw one the other day....next to the parking lot at Golds gym. Had the 870 in the trunk but figured I may be seen lol

#10 ·
LiquidA45 said:
Duck Whisperer said:

That's funny, I saw one the other day....next to the parking lot at Golds gym. Had the 870 in the trunk but figured I may be seen lol
In all my years, that was the first neck collar I have ever seen. Go figure it was in the middle of Tulsa. Bastard.

#11 ·
I saw a flock of teal while dining out this evening..... I'm sure if I got to a park with a bag of wonder bread ill see a few ;)

#12 ·
Duck Whisperer said:
LiquidA45 said:
Duck Whisperer said:

In all my years, that was the first neck collar I have ever seen. Go figure it was in the middle of Tulsa. Bastard.
My dad went out to my grandparents Sunday afternoon and there were 4 banded geese in the driveway. Go figure right.

#13 ·
OKhunter said:
Duck Whisperer said:
LiquidA45 said:
Duck Whisperer said:

My dad went out to my grandparents Sunday afternoon and there were 4 banded geese in the driveway. Go figure right.
On private property???????????? Depredation, nusiance, "I feared for my life - make my day law"?. Joking, as I don't think you could have legally killed them under any of those circumstances (dern them federal laws). Oh well, most likely just resident banded geese; no grand trophy (if they were sequential bands......

Where is Jeff Foiles when you need his opinion???

#14 ·
Duck Whisperer said:
OKhunter said:
Duck Whisperer said:
LiquidA45 said:
Duck Whisperer said:

On private property???????????? Depredation, nusiance, "I feared for my life - make my day law"?. Joking, as I don't think you could have legally killed them under any of those circumstances (dern them federal laws). Oh well, most likely just resident banded geese; no grand trophy (if they were sequential bands......

Wait i thought there were no federal laws seeing as there is no government?

THERES NO RULES!!!

#15 ·
Duck Whisperer said:

Was it pink?

PM sent.

#16 ·
Been hearing some Snows at night for a couple of weeks now. We are getting some needed rain down around Ada. My duck slough was getting really skinny on the water even for the mud motor. Ready to see if the big ducks fill it up like in years gone by. This year I might actually have a blind close to the water.

#20 ·
Oklahoma Greenhead said:
Duck Whisperer said:
GREAT news for the Duck Dynasty Newbies.........coot have just started showing up in numbers at one of my spots I watch.
Ill make sure to buy a pack of coot decoys and carry them out to the field in the box i bought them in :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Sad that on my deathwalk for rail today I came across an empty box from teal decoys left out in the area (actual hunting spot not parking lot)....amongst the other trash they left.

#21 ·
Duck Whisperer said:
Oklahoma Greenhead said:
Duck Whisperer said:
GREAT news for the Duck Dynasty Newbies.........coot have just started showing up in numbers at one of my spots I watch.
Ill make sure to buy a pack of coot decoys and carry them out to the field in the box i bought them in :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Sad that on my deathwalk for rail today I came across an empty box from teal decoys left out in the area (actual hunting spot not parking lot)....amongst the other trash they left.
Did you find my tiki torch? Ive been looking for that.

#22 ·
Duck Whisperer said:
OKhunter said:
Duck Whisperer said:
LiquidA45 said:
Duck Whisperer said:

Shoot Ned!! There coming right for us!!

#26 ·
I went out last night to a family farm, to check the pictures on cameras I put on the ponds. It's about an hour drive east of OKC. On the way out I checked all the ponds off the highway and roads and saw maybe a 1/2 dozen ducks total. When I got to the farm, the cousin said all the roads were still pretty muddy and I should take the Polaris out to check the ponds and cameras. After not seeing any birds on the way out, I wasn't expecting much and I forgot to grab my binoculars out of the truck. I stopped a few hundred yards out from the first pond and couldn't see anything obvious on the water without my binocs.

As I got about 100 yards off I saw a group of 5-6 Teal jump off the water on the shallow end, then another, and another, then a group of big ducks , then more teal, then more big ducks...etc. As I got close to the edge of the pond, I even got to see a couple of mallards hop lazily off the water. Lots of water weed in the pond for feed, so it looks like my boys will have a good hunt this weekend. I am glad I decided to drive down myself and not have my cousin check the cameras for me. The camera on that pond was pointed towards the deeper water and didn't have a single duck picture on it (lots of turtles though). If I hadn't drove down myself, I wouldn't have known there were ducks on the pond! Nothing beats windshield time.

Now we just need more rain down in SW OK to fill up the farm ponds down there and it will be a great season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.