Any scouting reports yet?????

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Any scouting reports yet?????

Postby Jerkstring » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 am

Has anyone been out looking to see if the numbers are coming down yet. Heck the dove are just getting down to me. We are seeing a few ducks on the ponds around the deer lease and saw a couple of small groups on Blue river.
Jerkstring
hunter

Re: Any scouting reports yet?????

Postby kkelly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:23 am

Well I haven't seen any numbers yet but from watching the migration reports from DU things seem to be shaping up. I stumbled upon about 10 woodies on one of my ponds just on Monday. There wasn't a single group of woodies on it last year and the year before had close to 100 throughout the season so it was two drastically different years. I think that were already seeing some movement and didn't hardly see anything at this time of year last year so I'm pretty optimistic.

But hey that's just my 2 cents.

Thanks

~kkelly~
kkelly
hunter

Postby XR2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:37 am

Not the greatest report here, but was having a cold one by the grill Saturday evening while cooking dinner and saw & heard the first groups of Snow Geese high up in group formations moving south. That seems earlier than the past few years?
XR2
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 am

Weather has been ridiculously warm, but it'll be cooling down a little bit this week. Still average-slightly above. I will be in northern KS in less than 2 weeks for their opener, should get a taste of what we will see.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am

later this week we should start seeing some birds. There is a really strong north wind in the dakotas that should start pushing birds down.

http://www.windalert.com/en-us/Search/V ... 98.476,5,2
petrotk40
hunter

Postby XR2 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:Weather has been ridiculously warm, but it'll be cooling down a little bit this week. Still average-slightly above. I will be in northern KS in less than 2 weeks for their opener, should get a taste of what we will see.

I'm envious of this, I've always wanted to see what the hunting is like up that way on the Plains. Curious to see how many birds are there with all that weather up in the Dakotas.
XR2
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 pm

My rail spot had a few 100 teal on it (there were practically zero ducks there the last week of teal season). Also saws a group of 12 Pintails, several spoonie, and a few greys. Local woodies still there also. Saw a fair number of big ducks, but simply didn't pay them much attention as I was in "Rail mode". Hunting buddy, also in Tulsa, said he heard a wad of snows a day or two ago also.

Saw a neck collared Canada at an undisclosed location (park). Couldn't convince my buddy to take a Foiles go at them though :no:
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody
I just do it.......Duckin' Crazy!

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Duxndog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:20 pm

This weather has my juiced for shooting some ducks. Saw about 5-6 teal land on a pond on the way home today in the driving rain. Just got to get the duck ready...have gotten really lazy with her the last two years
Check out my Outdoor Blog at http://strictlyoutdoors.blogspot.com
Duxndog
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:My rail spot had a few 100 teal on it (there were practically zero ducks there the last week of teal season). Also saws a group of 12 Pintails, several spoonie, and a few greys. Local woodies still there also. Saw a fair number of big ducks, but simply didn't pay them much attention as I was in "Rail mode". Hunting buddy, also in Tulsa, said he heard a wad of snows a day or two ago also.

Saw a neck collared Canada at an undisclosed location (park). Couldn't convince my buddy to take a Foiles go at them though :no:

That's funny, I saw one the other day....next to the parking lot at Golds gym. Had the 870 in the trunk but figured I may be seen lol
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:My rail spot had a few 100 teal on it (there were practically zero ducks there the last week of teal season). Also saws a group of 12 Pintails, several spoonie, and a few greys. Local woodies still there also. Saw a fair number of big ducks, but simply didn't pay them much attention as I was in "Rail mode". Hunting buddy, also in Tulsa, said he heard a wad of snows a day or two ago also.

That's funny, I saw one the other day....next to the parking lot at Golds gym. Had the 870 in the trunk but figured I may be seen lol

In all my years, that was the first neck collar I have ever seen. Go figure it was in the middle of Tulsa. Bastard.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

They say there is "a fine line between genious and insanity". That's the line I live on.
DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby okduckdude » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I saw a flock of teal while dining out this evening..... I'm sure if I got to a park with a bag of wonder bread ill see a few ;)
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

In all my years, that was the first neck collar I have ever seen. Go figure it was in the middle of Tulsa. Bastard.

My dad went out to my grandparents Sunday afternoon and there were 4 banded geese in the driveway. Go figure right.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:37 pm

OKhunter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

My dad went out to my grandparents Sunday afternoon and there were 4 banded geese in the driveway. Go figure right.

On private property???????????? Depredation, nusiance, "I feared for my life - make my day law"?. Joking, as I don't think you could have legally killed them under any of those circumstances (dern them federal laws). Oh well, most likely just resident banded geese; no grand trophy (if they were sequential bands......

Where is Jeff Foiles when you need his opinion???
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
OKhunter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

On private property???????????? Depredation, nusiance, "I feared for my life - make my day law"?. Joking, as I don't think you could have legally killed them under any of those circumstances (dern them federal laws). Oh well, most likely just resident banded geese; no grand trophy (if they were sequential bands......

Wait i thought there were no federal laws seeing as there is no government?

THERES NO RULES!!!
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby JDog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Was it pink?

PM sent.
JDog
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:54 am

Been hearing some Snows at night for a couple of weeks now. We are getting some needed rain down around Ada. My duck slough was getting really skinny on the water even for the mud motor. Ready to see if the big ducks fill it up like in years gone by. This year I might actually have a blind close to the water.
Jerkstring
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 pm

GREAT news for the Duck Dynasty Newbies.........coot have just started showing up in numbers at one of my spots I watch.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:GREAT news for the Duck Dynasty Newbies.........coot have just started showing up in numbers at one of my spots I watch.

Ill make sure to buy a pack of coot decoys and carry them out to the field in the box i bought them in :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Shrek » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Found about 1500 last night. Teal, mallards,and shovelers. Pretty neat seeing that.
Shrek
hunter

Postby Duck Whisperer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:GREAT news for the Duck Dynasty Newbies.........coot have just started showing up in numbers at one of my spots I watch.

Ill make sure to buy a pack of coot decoys and carry them out to the field in the box i bought them in :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Sad that on my deathwalk for rail today I came across an empty box from teal decoys left out in the area (actual hunting spot not parking lot)....amongst the other trash they left.
Pro Staff to nothin'
Sponsored by nobody

DW
Duck Whisperer
hunter

Postby Shrek » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:

Sad that on my deathwalk for rail today I came across an empty box from teal decoys left out in the area (actual hunting spot not parking lot)....amongst the other trash they left.

Did you find my tiki torch? Ive been looking for that.
Shrek
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Duck Whisperer wrote:
OKhunter wrote:
Duck Whisperer wrote:
LiquidA45 wrote:

Shoot Ned!! There coming right for us!!
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Shrek wrote:Found about 1500 last night. Teal, mallards,and shovelers. Pretty neat seeing that.

Wow!! That's some good stuff.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby micneador » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 pm

Saw a wad of gadwall at keystone dam while striper fishing monday, a couple groups of woodies here and there, and 50 coot on little ole sahoma lake.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby Jerkstring » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:14 am

Coots on the lakes. 36 degrees in Ada this morn. Should trigger something this weekend or early next week. We got some needed rain to fill up my duck puddles. Still haven't went down on Texoma to check it out yet. Deer hunting is getting in the way.
Jerkstring
hunter

Next

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting